Speculation: KARLSSON Megathread | Part III | MOD Warning Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
There were rumours, that EK65 was almost traded...... rumours.

a. information, often a mixture of truth and untruth, passed around verbally
b. (in combination): a rumour-monger.
2. gossip or hearsay
3. archaic din or clamour
4. obsolete fame or reputation
vb
5. (tr; usually passive) to pass around or circulate in the form of a rumour: it is rumoured that the Queen is coming.
It is clear at this point that there was a lot of discussion going on regarding an EK trade.

Just because a deal didn't occur does not mean there was not a ton of talk between franchises. We just don't know how close an actual deal was.. but from many reports, it is somewhere between pretty close and very close. That, there is no denying.

So stop with the "well it wasn't explicitly publicized" routine.

Last edited:

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
It is clear at this point that there was a lot of discussion going on regarding an EK trade.

Just because a deal didn't occur does not mean there was not a ton of talk between franchises. We just don't know how close an actual deal was.. but from many reports, it is somewhere between pretty close and very close. That, there is no denying.

Well in my opinion, rumours are just what they are, rumours ......... when a trade is done, it's done ........ so "close to being traded" cuts no ice with me ....... either someone is traded, or they're not.

You can have your opinion on rumoured trades, as can everyone else.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Well in my opinion, rumours are just what they are, rumours ......... when a trade is done, it's done ........ so "close to being traded" cuts no ice with me ....... either someone is traded, or they're not.

You can have your opinion on rumoured trades, as can everyone else.

It's good that you've made your opinion clear on the subject of rumours. Now please stop derailing the conversation by trying to correct people when they express their opinions on the subject.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

The General Manager or Owner of the Ottawa Senators could have come out at any point to put a stop, or at least slow down the rumour train, but they choose not to.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
I'm no insider but to me it seems like the market value for EK did align with the expectations of BOTH EK and PD. EK wants a big aav on his contract, PD wants a big return but I don't think the market offered either what they wanted. Now you see articles about EK's "110%" ankle health. All part of a campaign to boost value. Most likely scenario at this point (with all due respect to mysens), is EK starts the season with us and proves to teams he's healthy and dominant. Then we either make a Duchene type deal in the fall or bite our nails and get what we can at the trade deadline.

Just my very (!) non-educated guess.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
re EK's family making things public from the othe thread

what Macramella said at the time was that because the peace bond had not been served it was not in the public domain

as a result, that info getting out was a leak from the courthouse.

it very well could be that it was filed, not served, the Karlssons had a change of heart and we're just going to let it die which it should have because it had not been served...but then it got leaked.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Maybe I should have been a little more clear. The action that the EK camp took to go through the court system was not necessary. They knew eventually this would have been public, weather in 10 days or 45 days, this was going to hit the news. So, they took the planned risk doing this and did not allow the team to deal with this harrassement etc internally. That is what I was eluding to about leaking this out and airing his dirty laundry. This well thought out plan that crushed the Sens. Being the owner, regardless of how much he is hated here, was not the right move towards the Sens or any other NHL club. It destroyed the asset. EM has every right to be pissed. This could have been handled in a different manner and the outcome of the cancer(Hoffman) being traded would have still happened. Look, I love Ek, but this was not a well calculated move by a captain. He had every right to be angry, vindictive etc with Hoffman, but to drag the ownership group in this and be affected by a player that many other NHL teams coveted was not right.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Maybe I should have been a little more clear. The action that the EK camp took to go through the court system was not necessary. They knew eventually this would have been public, weather in 10 days or 45 days, this was going to hit the news. So, they took the planned risk doing this and did not allow the team to deal with this harrassement etc internally. That is what I was eluding to about leaking this out and airing his dirty laundry. This well thought out plan that crushed the Sens. Being the owner, regardless of how much he is hated here, was not the right move towards the Sens or any other NHL club. It destroyed the asset. EM has every right to be pissed. This could have been handled in a different manner and the outcome of the cancer(Hoffman) being traded would have still happened. Look, I love Ek, but this was not a well calculated move by a captain. He had every right to be angry, vindictive etc with Hoffman, but to drag the ownership group in this and be affected by a player that many other NHL teams coveted was not right.

Jesus. I want Karlsson to stay in Ottawa as much as any Sens fan but at this point maybe it is for the best if both sides move on.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott

There are things that are bigger and more important than hockey and maintaining a player’s “value” to help an NHL team win games.

Melinda Karlsson has rights, and if she felt as targeted as threatened as she stated in the filing, she was well within her rights to take the matter to court. Erik, as her husband, should stand behind her, 100%.

This wasn’t a hockey matter. It was a bullying, online stalking, harassment matter. You don’t take that to Pierre Dorion or Eugene Melnyk. Even if they trade Hoffman, it doesn't mean online harassment will stop. Instagram can be accessed from Florida. If you want it to stop, you take it to the police.

And if Melnyk is upset at the Karlsson’s for protecting their own family after being victimized, then that’s just another cherry on top of him being an asshole. Don’t blame the victim. Support the victim.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

You still haven't explained why he was being shopped at the deadline, that was more than 45 days prior to the Hoff news breaking.

Biggest reason I think you are full of it, and you said it..."It destroyed the asset", which is exactly what Dorion/Melnyk are doing by insisting that Bobby Ryan be part of an Erik Karlsson trade. Much easier to get away with a junk return for Mike Hoffman than it will be for an EK trade.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
You still haven't explained why he was being shopped at the deadline, that was more than 45 days prior to the Hoff news breaking.

FWIW there was an earlier mysens post which stated Melnyk was pissed at EK's "I'm going to get every penny I'm worth" comments and ordered Dorion to dangle Karlsson at the deadline, basically to remind him who pays his salary.

Reactions: slamigo and coladin

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
FWIW there was an earlier mysens post which stated Melnyk was pissed at EK's "I'm going to get every penny I'm worth" comments and ordered Dorion to dangle Karlsson at the deadline, basically to remind him who pays his salary.

Whatever the actual reason is , it is not hard to believe that there is a rift between Melnyk and Karlsson (or anyone who wants to take Melnyk's money away and has some leverage)

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
EM is extremely pissed at EK about them airing out all the dirty laundry to the world about the Hoffman situation. This should have been kept in the room and have the team or management work it out and execute a trade that was worthy. The way the EK camp went public with this has hurt an asset of the team/owner, and you know what we ended up with. How can the owner not be happy after the employee went and sabotaged the company. There are sooooo many scandals in locker rooms between players and wives/girlfriends. They do not make it out in public, they are dealt with and trades are then made that sometimes do not make sense to the hockey fan. Folks, our beloved EK did hurt the franchise. This is a big reason why the relationship between EK and EM has fizzled. It is not all about the money, both sides are hurting.

And there you go

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008

Maybe EK and family knew the org was going to perform downright pitifully with regards to handling the situation, and decided to cut out the middle man? Surely as a successful business man you have got to respect cutting to the chase like they did?

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Something doesn't add up here....

Your assessment of things makes a little sense in regards to the contract extension, but if this is coming from the org, it is just another cop out and excuse for not wanting to pay a generational talent what he deserves. EK was almost moved at the trade deadline, months before the Hoff news came out. How can do you explain that?

You are not following along...they were previously pissed about the " I will go for market value, no hometown discount blah blah blah bravado that EK said earlier.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
You are not following along...they were previously pissed about the " I will go for market value, no hometown discount blah blah blah bravado that EK said earlier.

Great attitude from ownership if that's the case. Hardball your only elite talent enough to piss him off and leave the team as a UFA so you get nothing in return. Great asset and people management!

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Quite simply, you have no right. None. Stop posting this ‘blame the victim’ crap.
Under your scenario, the harassment and bullying is covered up and the Sens trade away Hoffman before the information is public? Seriously?
I would suggest you research the #metoo movement and how people that cover up untoward behaviour are now viewed.
You cannot address harassment by becoming complicit.
Back away from the keyboard. Go take some time for quiet contemplation about all that the Karlsson family has been through and then use that lens to view your part in publicly calling for Melinda Karlsson to accept blame. Shame on you. Go away now and give it some thought.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Great attitude from ownership if that's the case. Hardball your only elite talent enough to piss him off and leave the team as a UFA so you get nothing in return. Great asset and people management!

And I suppose the attitude of the captain is just dandy. Great leadership. I didn't hear Tavares say anything. Like I said, there are two sides to this.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Why are you taking it as gospel? It's literally one guy saying this, we don't know his credentials, who he knows, what he does etc. Could literally be pulling things out of thin air to suit his agenda.

Because I have been made privy from mysens to the source of the "rumours" . Like any rumour, it could be wrong, or right.

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
EM -

EM - "We need you to invest in our team success. We all know we can't spend to the cap, but we need a little investment to build around our core and get back to playoff success, which will bring more money in for players. Understand?"
EK - " Yes, I do. But I’m not going to blow a lifetime of working hard to support a hockey team."
EM -"How dare he say that. Get rid of him"

Irony

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

I am following along very closely and have come to the conclusion that if what you and mysens say are true, then Melnyk needs to grow a pair and stop being a little bratty baby. Not really sure what Melnyk or anyone else really expected Karlsson to say there.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
And I suppose the attitude of the captain is just dandy. Great leadership. I didn't hear Tavares say anything. Like I said, there are two sides to this.

Doughty made essentially the same comments and he signed pretty much as soon as he possibly could. There's nothing wrong with what Karlsson said, if Melnyk has an issue with paying players what they are worth that's on him.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008

Doesn't matter what the captain's attitude is like. It's irrelevant. It only speaks to the ineptitude of management or ownership. Karlsson holds all the cards here. He has them by the balls, and if he goes Eugene gets even more egg on his face. Have fun with the PR nightmare, a team performance nightmare, and a financial nightmare. You become the first team since Pocklington to sell a generational talent. It would take the team a decade to recover. Especially after handing Colorado Jack Hughes.

Your ego is so bloated that you alienate your best player so he leaves? Why would you do that? Are you that fragile?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad