Speculation: KARLSSON Megathread | Part III | MOD Warning Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I addressed your "point" in my response to Spartachat.

Both sides would make the case for a range of outcomes and then agree on how much risk they are willing to take based on their leverage in this situation.

Thankfully for he incoming owners Melnyk has publicly called into question the viability of the project and is giving all external signs of someone whose finances are under duress.

Please don't bother with the house analogy again, as we are discussing a business transaction.

You did have a point about Melnyk buying for pennies on the dollar due to Bryden's financial troubles. Hopefully Melnyk gets the exact same treatment.

And stop talking about Melnyk's partners in the Lebreton deal. The only party making noise about scuttling the deal is your hero.

Sorry, I know this is the EK65 Megathread ... and this is my last reply on this topic, in this thread, but it takes two to debate, so I'm not alone here ....... Mods, feel free to delete whatever you see fit.

What you interpret as "viability of the project" & "scuttling the deal" pretty much everyone else knows is negotiation tactics, to try and gain an advantage in the final outcome of the sale.

I know it's easy for you to see a blaring light at the end of your "Melnyk is selling the team" tunnel vision, but that's not in the cards as of today. Could that change? Perhaps, but the owner has stated time and time again that he's not selling the team, and the rumours posted here a coupe of months ago were shot down by both EM and the NHL.

The RLG has invested way to much time and money to bailout of the the lucrative Lebreton Flats deal, and as you correctly pointed out, the projected value of the the Franchise is pretty much a forgone conclusion, and Melnyk and his RLG partners know this, and are in it for the long haul.

The sooner you accept the reality of the day, then you can move on to something more constructive in your crusade to run EM out of town, because EM and the RLG can see the big profits coming their way in the Lebreton Flats deal, and they're not letting anyone else take over their deal.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
We should just get Seguin and be done with it all if we go the Dallas route. Just make sure he’s signed first.

Expensive UFA players are not on the menu for this small market budget team.

This team can only survive with less expensive ELC and RFA players plus a very few UFAs who want to be in OTTAWA .

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
What you interpret as "viability of the project" & "scuttling the deal" pretty much everyone else knows is negotiation tactics, to try and gain an advantage in the final outcome of the sale.

Please provide quotes from the other members of the RLG group "negotiating" in this manner.

I know it's easy for you to see a blaring light at the end of your "Melnyk is selling the team" tunnel vision, but that's not in the cards as of today. Could that change? Perhaps, but the owner has stated time and time again that he's not selling the team, and the rumours posted here a coupe of months ago were shot down by both EM and the NHL.
Eugene's time is thankfully coming to a rapid conclusion.

The RLG has invested way to much time and money to bailout of the the lucrative Lebreton Flats deal, and as you correctly pointed out, the projected value of the the Franchise is pretty much a forgone conclusion, and Melnyk and his RLG partners know this, and are in it for the long haul.
Why do you act like RLG and Melnyk are in unison?

No other member of the group is publicly questioning the viability of the project.
No other member of the group is so obviously suffering financially.
RLG will be only too happy to replace Melynk's portion of the bid with far more stable and financially secure partners.

The sooner you accept the reality of the day, then you can move on to something more constructive in your crusade to run EM out of town, because EM and the RLG can see the big profits coming their way in the Lebreton Flats deal, and they're not letting anyone else take over their deal.
Lebreton will be built and Eugene will not be part of it. He is thankfully at the end of his rope and will be pushed aside.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ed Wood

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
You would think that EM should be worried about his partners squeezing him out if he continues to malign the development.
Lebreton doesn’t need the Senators. They could build the arena and condos (plus all the other extras) and make boatloads of money without an NHL team. How many concerts will go to Kanata when there is a premiere facility downtown? None. Obviously it would be better with an NHL team but it could easily be done without one. Then the pressure would force the Senators to move downtown as tenants which would be disastrous for EM. He needs to sell to them and let his partners do this properly.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Arena issues are among the team's biggest concerns. Hopefully Melnyk realizes this as well and gets the team involved with a new downtown Ottawa arena.

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
1.) So if your house is worth 400K today, and the "projected value" in ten years is going to be 600K, how do you convince a buyer today, to pay you the "projected value"?

2.) There is no indication that there are any financial problems with the Lebreton project. The RLG has spent millions already over almost three years now, and there would be no reason to bail now.

3.) The arena is not going to emptied by the fairweather fans, that's just dream by someone who has stated that the paying fans are the problem.

Why do you think people are paying for growth stocks that are bleeding cash in the present. People pay for future value. The LeBreton project would be reflected in the price of the team.

Same goes for housing, if a subway line is announced near your house, it will likely increase the value of the home, even though the subway may not be built for another 5 years.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
You would think that EM should be worried about his partners squeezing him out if he continues to malign the development.
Lebreton doesn’t need the Senators. They could build the arena and condos (plus all the other extras) and make boatloads of money without an NHL team. How many concerts will go to Kanata when there is a premiere facility downtown? None. Obviously it would be better with an NHL team but it could easily be done without one. Then the pressure would force the Senators to move downtown as tenants which would be disastrous for EM. He needs to sell to them and let his partners do this properly.

Even without an NHL team, Lebreton could be the perfect home for the 67s. Even with the reno, the old Civic Centre is still a bit of a mess. It could allow the RedBlacks group to turn that arena into more of a smaller convention center, or even a few stores instead.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
EK's future with the Sens depends on a change in ownership.

I think it depends more on what the final offer is, from Pierre Dorion, after EK65 and he get together to compare notes on what EK65 found out what was being offered from the other teams he was given permission to talk to, and see if they can work something out that allows him to stay in Ottawa, as he has stated many times, but at the same time gets the $$$$ and term he feels he deserves.

It has nothing to do with a non existent sale of the team.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
I think it depends more on what the final offer is, from Pierre Dorion, after EK65 and he get together to compare notes on what EK65 found out what was being offered from the other teams he was given permission to talk to, and see if they can work something out that allows him to stay in Ottawa, as he has stated many times, but at the same time gets the $$$$ and term he feels he deserves.

It has nothing to do with a non existent sale of the team.

Do you honestly believe Eugene Melnyk would pony up for a Tavares-esque contract at the tune of 12-13m? Come on bro give it up

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
Does Melnyk really want EK on his team though? There are two sides to this story

What even half bright-minded NHL owner wouldn’t want EK on his team?! Not wanting a generational NHL player on your own NHL team, even worse when you already have him and don’t want to keep him, defeats the entire purpose of owning an NHL franchise. (...I think I’m going to buy a hockey franchise but I’ll only keep average players, none of those silly superstar players...yeah, that’s it!).

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
EM is extremely pissed at EK about them airing out all the dirty laundry to the world about the Hoffman situation. This should have been kept in the room and have the team or management work it out and execute a trade that was worthy. The way the EK camp went public with this has hurt an asset of the team/owner, and you know what we ended up with. How can the owner not be happy after the employee went and sabotaged the company. There are sooooo many scandals in locker rooms between players and wives/girlfriends. They do not make it out in public, they are dealt with and trades are then made that sometimes do not make sense to the hockey fan. Folks, our beloved EK did hurt the franchise. This is a big reason why the relationship between EK and EM has fizzled. It is not all about the money, both sides are hurting.

Peptic Balcers

May 1, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
What even half bright-minded NHL owner wouldn’t want EK on his team?! Not wanting a generational NHL player on your own NHL team, even worse when you already have him and don’t want to keep him, defeats the entire purpose of owning an NHL franchise. (...I think I’m going to buy a hockey franchise but I’ll only keep average players, none of those silly superstar players...yeah, that’s it!).

Too bad for the sens

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
EM is extremely pissed at EK about them airing out all the dirty laundry to the world about the Hoffman situation. This should have been kept in the room and have the team or management work it out and execute a trade that was worthy. The way the EK camp went public with this has hurt an asset of the team/owner, and you know what we ended up with. How can the owner not be happy after the employee went and sabotaged the company. There are sooooo many scandals in locker rooms between players and wives/girlfriends. They do not make it out in public, they are dealt with and trades are then made that sometimes do not make sense to the hockey fan. Folks, our beloved EK did hurt the franchise. This is a big reason why the relationship between EK and EM has fizzled. It is not all about the money, both sides are hurting.

EK camp did not go public. A reporter found the peace bond (or whatever the hell its called) among public court records and ran with it.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
EM is extremely pissed at EK about them airing out all the dirty laundry to the world about the Hoffman situation. This should have been kept in the room and have the team or management work it out and execute a trade that was worthy.

Wow, that’s a disturbing viewpoint. The ‘EK camp’ lost a child and was criminally harassed. EM is mad that Dorion couldn’t trade an asset while lying to other NHL teams about the reason why? Unbelievable.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
EK camp did not go public. A reporter found the peace bond (or whatever the hell its called) among public court records and ran with it.

Public count records are just that "Public".
EK65, and his wife must have know, at some point this would become public.

People who work in the court system routinely tip of reporters, when someone with as high of a profile that EK65 and his wife have, are in court for whatever reason.

EK65 and his would have known this in advance, and has every right to proceed in this manner ..... and are now dealing with the consequences.

The rumoured "rift" between EK65 and EM is not as one sided and some people would have you believe. We fans must hope that both sides realize this, accept responsibility for their actions, and attempt to work things out for the common good.

I don't believe any bridges have been burnt as of yet, so for everyone involved, we can only hope the rumoured rift have be resolved.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The rumoured "rift" between EK65 and EM is not as one sided and some people would have you believe. We fans must hope that both sides realize this, accept responsibility for their actions, and attempt to work things out for the common good.

Yeah, I don't feel this way at all.

We have an owner whose penchant for micromanagement is not in keeping with my expectations of an NHL franchise holder who also has a history of clumsy outbursts and outright childish behaviour.

He has to accept responsibility for his actions in terms of his reputation at times like this.

Which side am I more likely to believe?

The man-child with a legacy of temper tantrums or the relatively quiet franchise superstar?

I do believe that the relationship between them is certainly one-sided. Melnyk needs Karlsson a hell of a lot more than Karlsson needs Melnyk at this point.

Last edited:

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

Something doesn't add up here....

Your assessment of things makes a little sense in regards to the contract extension, but if this is coming from the org, it is just another cop out and excuse for not wanting to pay a generational talent what he deserves. EK was almost moved at the trade deadline, months before the Hoff news came out. How can do you explain that?

Last edited:

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Your assessment of things makes a little sense in regards to the contract extension, but if this is coming from the org, it is just another cop out and excuse for not wanting to pay a generational talent what he deserves. EK was almost moved at the trade deadline, months before the Hoff news came out. How can do you explain that?

There were rumours, that EK65 was almost traded...... rumours.

a. information, often a mixture of truth and untruth, passed around verbally
b. (in combination): a rumour-monger.
2. gossip or hearsay
3. archaic din or clamour
4. obsolete fame or reputation
vb
5. (tr; usually passive) to pass around or circulate in the form of a rumour: it is rumoured that the Queen is coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad