Speculation: KARLSSON Megathread | Part III | MOD Warning Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
This is 100% about Melnyk.

I doubt very much you were boycotting the team 10 or 12 years ago.

The owner has spent in the past, and many things were different then, than they are today. The exchange rate, Phoenix pay system, the lower salary cap then vs now, the NHL assistance program for the Canadian based teams and other market conditions.

Many fans expect all owners to be a sugar-daddy, and be willing to dig into their personnel saving and prop up the team, no matter what the cost. In today's NHL, when times are tough, some owners decide to run lean, and build for the future, and if you can't see that, then rant away and blame the current owner for anything and everything.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017

The owner has spent in the past, and many things were different then, than they are today. The exchange rate, Phoenix pay system, the lower salary cap then vs now, the NHL assistance program for the Canadian based teams and other market conditions.

Many fans expect all owners to be a sugar-daddy, and be willing to dig into their personnel saving and prop up the team, no matter what the cost. In today's NHL, when times are tough, some owners decide to run lean, and build for the future, and if you can't see that, then rant away and blame the current owner for anything and everything.
No one expects him to dig into his personal savings, (although he would still make money over the long haul as this asset rises in value).

What we do expect is for Eugene to spend the money his holdings in Ottawa generate and stop lying to the public claiming paper losses that are meaningless.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Beville

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Came here to read about EK but again the thread is taken over by the other topics.

BTW, pretty sure EK drove past me on the Gardiner last night... still in Toronto?

Vroom vrooom!

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Came here to read about EK but again the thread is taken over by the other topics.

BTW, pretty sure EK drove past me on the Gardiner last night... still in Toronto?

Vroom vrooom!
Your lying....Nobody drives past anyone on the Gardener.....They sit and watch the trains go by empty...lol

Reactions: slamigo

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa

This "sugar daddy" thing has to be your worst strawman, people just want the team to be run properly like pretty much the rest of the entire league.

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa

Having a long playoff run is in Melnyk's interest as he earns playoff revenue. Melnyk should probably not be spending the cap right now as the Sens are more in rebuilding mode. However, he has to run the organization well and make it attractive for players to play for the Sens. I doubt Karlsson would be wanting to leave if the Sens had a normal owner.

Reactions: Deku

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Total speculation incoming...

I think one thing is certain, the organization is not shut down for the summer. We have seen a few hires, a few Bellville signings, and we can rest assured that things are happening behind closed doors.

We have 4 large pieces of roster business to attend to (EK, Stone, Ceci, Duchene) and undoubtably these are being discussed and planned for.

The quiet to me seems to indicate that there may be some serious business related goings on happening. The extra level of vault-like silence is not usual for regular summer negotiations and signings, and seems to indicate that something unusual is going on.

If a sale is being negotiated it would make sense that massive player deals, and personnel hires would be involved to some degree, as the incoming party would want to make sure that the team isn't negatively impacted before taking over. EK has not moved, PD allegedly has his asks sent out and is not deviating, but that very well may be a plan B, after signing EK. Signing EK may also be a chip in negotiations over the team value, and thus no one is speaking, and nothing is happening yet.

Who knows, but it is intriguing. Once you get past the motion that everyone has gone to the cottage, it would seem like something serious/unusual is underway.

If a sale was being negotiated at this or other time, one of the conditions put in place during negotiations might be related to trades of specific players. Such trades might be put on hold until negotiations are completed or end without a sale occuring.

Reactions: BigCanadian

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
No one expects him to dig into his personal savings, (although he would still make money over the long haul as this asset rises in value).

What we do expect is for Eugene to spend the money his holdings in Ottawa generate and stop lying to the public claiming paper losses that are meaningless.

So if you were the Owner, and knew "this asset" will rise in value, probably because of the proposed re-location to Lebreton Flats ........ why would you sell now?

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
So if you were the Owner, and knew "this asset" will rise in value, probably because of the proposed re-location to Lebreton Flats ........ why would you sell now?
3 reasons
1) The increase in the value can be projected and paid for by incoming owners.
2) My personal finances are making meeting my obligations to run the team and finance my portion of Lebreton a problem.
3) Sens fans who care about the team are going to empty the arena if I don't sell, making point 2 even worse.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa

The expected increased revenue from the re-location to Lebreton Flats would be reflected in the sales price.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
The expected increased revenue from the re-location to Lebreton Flats would be reflected in the sales price.
Pretty simple concept.

Trouble will be getting both side to agree on the range of outcomes and how much risk each side will bear.

Melnyk hasn't helped himself any by raising alarm bells about the profitability his own project...

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
3 reasons
1) The increase in the value can be projected and paid for by incoming owners.
2) My personal finances are making meeting my obligations to run the team and finance my portion of Lebreton a problem.
3) Sens fans who care about the team are going to empty the arena if I don't sell, making point 2 even worse.

1.) So if your house is worth 400K today, and the "projected value" in ten years is going to be 600K, how do you convince a buyer today, to pay you the "projected value"?

2.) There is no indication that there are any financial problems with the Lebreton project. The RLG has spent millions already over almost three years now, and there would be no reason to bail now.

3.) The arena is not going to emptied by the fairweather fans, that's just dream by someone who has stated that the paying fans are the problem.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

Same thing I told Sensung....... your house is for sale today, for 4ook (market value), where are you going to find a buyer stupid enough, who is going to pay you what you suspect your house is going to be worth in ten years ... and pay that price (600K) and also forgo that increased revenue in ten years???

Did the current owner buy the Senators for their "projected value", or for what they were worth 15 years ago when he bought the team?

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
1.) So if your house is worth 400K today, and the "projected value" in ten years is going to be 600K, how do you convince a buyer today, to pay you the "projected value"?

2.) There is no indication that there are any financial problems with the Lebreton project. The RLG has spent millions already over almost three years now, and there would be no reason to bail now.

3.) The arena is not going to emptied by the fairweather fans, that's just dream by someone who has stated that the paying fans are the problem.
I almost forgot who I was dealing with. Thanks for the reminder.

1) Happens all the time. Unfortunately for you, your idiot hero is on public record slamming the profitability of his Lebreton project thus lowering what he can ask in a sale.

2) Melnyk penny pinching on all aspects of the franchise suggests otherwise.

3) IF EK is traded the Sens will average 10000 or less excluding Leafs and Habs games.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I almost forgot who I was dealing with. Thanks for the reminder.

1) Happens all the time. Unfortunately for you, your idiot hero is on public record slamming the profitability of his Lebreton project thus lowering what he can ask in a sale.

2) Melnyk penny pinching on all aspects of the franchise suggests otherwise.

3) IF EK is traded the Sens will average 10000 or less excluding Leafs and Habs games.

You did not address the main point.

How do you convince a new owner to pay EM the "projected value" of the Senators, today ....... and then forgo those revenues in the future as well?

I understand that you're completely blinded by your intense hatred for the owner, and don't understand why everyone else does not share your level of hatred for EM.

But like I pointed out before ..... your house is worth 400K today on the market, who in their right mind is going to pay you 600K today (the 2028 projected value) and never recouping that 200K in the future?

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
You did not address the main point.

How do you convince a new owner to pay EM the "projected value" of the Senators, today ....... and then forgo those revenues in the future as well?

I understand that you're completely blinded by your intense hatred for the owner, and don't understand why everyone else does not share your level of hatred for EM.

But like I pointed out before ..... your house is worth 400K today on the market, who in their right mind is going to pay you 600K today (the 2028 projected value) and never recouping that 200K in the future?
I addressed your "point" in my response to Spartachat.

Both sides would make the case for a range of outcomes and then agree on how much risk they are willing to take based on their leverage in this situation.

Thankfully for he incoming owners Melnyk has publicly called into question the viability of the project and is giving all external signs of someone whose finances are under duress.

Please don't bother with the house analogy again, as we are discussing a business transaction.

You did have a point about Melnyk buying for pennies on the dollar due to Bryden's financial troubles. Hopefully Melnyk gets the exact same treatment.

And stop talking about Melnyk's partners in the Lebreton deal. The only party making noise about scuttling the deal is your hero.

Reactions: Rand0m

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
If you build it, they will come.
20150912-121022-g.jpg

Reactions: Do Make Say Think
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad