Speculation: KARLSSON Megathread | Part III | MOD Warning Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
If it's framed and marketed properly...yes.

Anyone involved with sports will tell you it is cyclical in nature. It is incredibly rare for a team to be like the Red Wings and make the playoffs consistently for over two decades. Eventually, every team has to strip down and rebuild. Tinkering on the fly rarely works,and usually just prolongs the misery.

Rebuild as a young, fast, exciting team and fans will buy in.
This.

Drafting highly and having good prospects is actually pretty marketable. Draws in fans more than Boedker on your first line or Ceci on your top D pairing.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
I just don't see how this is the GM's fault, people expect way too much from people in certain positions. They do the best they can, their due diligence & hope the players will fit in, it's not a perfect science, it never is when people are involved. And how does he know that the girlfriends are not getting along & what can he do about that? Does your boss at work know everything there is to know about you? Does he pry into your business? Does he ask how your wife or girlfriends are doing & whether they are getting along? Seems kinda creepy. And how many players are going to report a problem to him about other players without being considered a rat? It's just not as easy as people are trying to make it seem especially when they have the benefit of hindsight.

To answer the last part, yes. We do ask our employees how they are doing, about their partners/families and if there are noticeable chemistry issues in a group, accommodations are made to make the team better.
On the Sens front, it isn't Dorion's "Fault", but a canny GM would have a stool pigeon/mole/teacher's pet around that would give warning signs. Ideally Karlsson would be that conduit, but it's possible that he wouldn't want to make a public fuss and hoped he could keep things stable on his own.

Anyways, any truth to the news that they took down the Karlsson banner outside CTC? Whatzit at 6th Sens was mentioning this on Twitter.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
Yeah they took down the ad about a week ago and replaced it with a generic iphone ad instead

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
To answer the last part, yes. We do ask our employees how they are doing, about their partners/families and if there are noticeable chemistry issues in a group, accommodations are made to make the team better.
On the Sens front, it isn't Dorion's "Fault", but a canny GM would have a stool pigeon/mole/teacher's pet around that would give warning signs. Ideally Karlsson would be that conduit, but it's possible that he wouldn't want to make a public fuss and hoped he could keep things stable on his own.

Anyways, any truth to the news that they took down the Karlsson banner outside CTC? Whatzit at 6th Sens was mentioning this on Twitter.

Regarding the iPhone EK banner, it could simply be that the particular promotion agreement with EK came to an end. I’m not that concerned about it.

Reactions: Icelevel

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Could EK be convinced to go to Winnipeg for 1 year to win a Cup? Then go to Free Agency. Jets would be the best team in the NHL with Kalrsson, and he goes into free agency carrying a team to the Cup or the finals he’ll get McDavid $$$$.

Ottawa: Trouba, 1st round pick 2019, Logan Stanley #18 2016, Roslivic C 2015 #25 overall
Winnipeg: Karlsson

Toronto: Trouba
Ottawa: Nylander
Change Stanley to a good prospect. He doesnt have the IQ or skating to be an NHLer.

I'd be happy with Karlsson on the Jets. Quality, likeable team. Plus Trouba+ for Karlsson makes sense. Though I could see the Jets not wanting to do this because cap.

Last edited:

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA

That's twice now that Karlsson was rumored to be almost gone only for a media member to come out and say 'it actually wasn't as close as ppl thought it was before...'. Friedman now, and mackenzie did it shortly after trade deadline. Tells me there's a hint of media hype that's just taking this to a new level and might explain why the sens brass is pissed off with the media.

I'm not going to lie, it was sickening to watch the draft; right before the sens were about to do their 2nd pick in the 1st round, you saw all the panel guys on nbcsn (aka TSN) just get jolted and excited about 'omg the sens have made a trade! this could be it!' only to hear disappointment that it was to move back a few spots with the rangers. Quite clear they (media) have fostered a big chunk of the karlsson trade rumors

Reactions: Ogereatlittleleaf36

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
That's twice now that Karlsson was rumored to be almost gone only for a media member to come out and say 'it actually wasn't as close as ppl thought it was before...'. Friedman now, and mackenzie did it shortly after trade deadline. Tells me there's a hint of media hype that's just taking this to a new level and might explain why the sens brass is pissed off with the media.

I'm not going to lie, it was sickening to watch the draft; right before the sens were about to do their 2nd pick in the 1st round, you saw all the panel guys on nbcsn (aka TSN) just get jolted and excited about 'omg the sens have made a trade! this could be it!' only to hear disappointment that it was to move back a few spots with the rangers. Quite clear they (media) have fostered a big chunk of the karlsson trade rumors

I said it before, and I'll say it again. It's not just the media. I'm convinced this is gamesmanship by Melnyk to get more money for the team. He's saying "You can have the team now with Karlsson, or you can have it in 4-5 years with an arena, but no Karlsson, and possibly no Stone/Duchene. So pony up now if you want the team now". There's no way he's not preparing selling the team. There's way too much smoke for there not to be a fire. It's a matter of when, not if.

Ryan was told that the deal was 100% done at the TDL, only find out afterwards it wasn't even close. That's not normal. Doesn't make sense. There's some politics and gamesmanship happening within the organization. I suspect the same thing may have happened earlier this summer. Simmer is usually pretty reliable. I wouldn't surprise me if Karlsson himself was Simmer's source. Karlsson is probably just being used as a peon and a direct line to Alfie/New Owners by Melnyk to pry more money out of them.

Reactions: Bean Drown

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
Maybe Melnyk realized that trading for Honka will not sell tickets, so he wants to keep Karlsson around until the trade deadline to boast sales.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Change Stanley to a good prospect. He doesnt have the IQ or skating to be an NHLer.

I'd be happy with Karlsson on the Jets. Quality, likeable team. Plus Trouba+ for Karlsson makes sense. Though I could see the Jets not wanting to do this because cap.

Brendan Lemieux.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I said it before, and I'll say it again. It's not just the media. I'm convinced this is gamesmanship by Melnyk to get more money for the team. He's saying "You can have the team now with Karlsson, or you can have it in 4-5 years with an arena, but no Karlsson, and possibly no Stone/Duchene. So pony up now if you want the team now". There's no way he's not preparing selling the team. There's way too much smoke for there not to be a fire. It's a matter of when, not if.

Ryan was told that the deal was 100% done at the TDL, only find out afterwards it wasn't even close. That's not normal. Doesn't make sense. There's some politics and gamesmanship happening within the organization. I suspect the same thing may have happened earlier this summer. Simmer is usually pretty reliable. I wouldn't surprise me if Karlsson himself was Simmer's source. Karlsson is probably just being used as a peon and a direct line to Alfie/New Owners by Melnyk to pry more money out of them.

Then Melynk is seriously misplaying his hand.

Stripping the team down and getting a lesser price actually benefits the new buyers in the long run. They would get to start at the bottom with zero expectations, be the heroes to 'save' the team from Uncle Scrooge, and have the opportunity to completely rebuild (management and players alike) from scratch. Heck, if I was an owner already looking at shelling out $2-3 billion for the team and the Lebreton project, I'd definitely take the opportunity to save a few dollars on player salaries from day 1, and also build the team from the ground up to make it truly 'my' team.

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa

Stripping the team down and getting a lesser price actually benefits the new buyers in the long run. They would get to start at the bottom with zero expectations, be the heroes to 'save' the team from Uncle Scrooge, and have the opportunity to completely rebuild (management and players alike) from scratch. Heck, if I was an owner already looking at shelling out $2-3 billion for the team and the Lebreton project, I'd definitely take the opportunity to save a few dollars on player salaries from day 1, and also build the team from the ground up to make it truly 'my' team.

Watch the value of the Pittsburgh Penguins plummet when Crosby and Malkin retire and attendance starts to fall. It happened after Lemieux retired for the first time and Jagr was traded. Stars are important.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Nothing new to report. Dorion holding firm on his ask.

No update on who the 4th unnamed team was that has also made a decent offer.

Wouldn’t surprise me if Dorion is dragging his feet to see if there is any truth to a potential sale. I imagine he doesn’t want to be the guy that traded Erik Karlsson if he can avoid it.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Nothing new to report. Dorion holding firm on his ask.

No update on who the 4th unnamed team was that has also made a decent offer.

Wouldn’t surprise me if Dorion is dragging his feet to see if there is any truth to a potential sale. I imagine he doesn’t want to be the guy that traded Erik Karlsson if he can avoid it.
Hopefully whoever buys the Sens fires Dorion.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Hopefully whoever buys the Sens fires Dorion.

I’d like to see what he is capable of with a full staff, and when money isn’t motivating trades.

In his first year, he tinkered with the team and they got to the Conference final. The next year he had to deal with an expansion draft, and even more pressure from Scrooge to shed salary.

Give him adequate support and salary and I think he does well.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005

Having one of the most marketable players in the league is absolutely in the interest of the potential owner. If they're shelling 2-3B on a new arena, then Karlsson's contract is chump change. Why wouldn't they want to be perceived as the hero on a white stallion that saved Karlsson from Euge McScrooge? That's free marketing. It would help them put bums in the seats until the new arena is done, and give them momentum into the opening of Lebretton.

Reactions: Anaxagoras

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
You heard it here folks.....EK and EM have a fractured relationship, that all. EK is still hurt and upset that he was shopped around at the TDL. He wants to stay and play for ottawa, at the very least , finish the year here. Then, if things are not patched up between the two, he will entertain the thought of playing elsewhere. And that elsewhere is to be a warm, tropical destination, or a place that has a lot of vanity, such as New York, Las Vegas. But, he wants to stay here. He still wants things to work out here, this would make EK and his wife the happiest. He just feels that he is not respected by the owner. Period. Yes.....this is the update, but from the EK camp.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Erik Karlsson has become a problem for the Ottawa Senators - this team is so disfunctional that Erik Karlsson is a problem to them.

They want a fast and exciting team and have the most exciting player in th game who skates like a top 10 NHLer of all time, but he's still a problem

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
If it really is a clash of egos between Melnyk and Karlsson, I declare myself officially fed up with Melnyk. On top of his treatment of the office staff, it really does sound like he’s a callous egomaniac.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
You heard it here folks.....EK and EM have a fractured relationship, that all. EK is still hurt and upset that he was shopped around at the TDL. He wants to stay and play for ottawa, at the very least , finish the year here. Then, if things are not patched up between the two, he will entertain the thought of playing elsewhere. And that elsewhere is to be a warm, tropical destination, or a place that has a lot of vanity, such as New York, Las Vegas. But, he wants to stay here. He still wants things to work out here, this would make EK and his wife the happiest. He just feels that he is not respected by the owner. Period. Yes.....this is the update, but from the EK camp.

So Karlsson's willing to stay even if Melnyk is still the owner, as long as they clear the air first? I'm not saying this is false info, but it goes against every other report we've heard which basically state Karlsson will only sign if Melnyk sells.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad