Speculation: KARLSSON Megathread | Part III | MOD Warning Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
So Karlsson's willing to stay even if Melnyk is still the owner, as long as they clear the air first? I'm not saying this is false info, but it goes against every other report we've heard which basically state Karlsson will only sign if Melnyk sells.
It’s not a blood feud. If Melnyk changed his tone, apologized for his antics and offered a good contract, who knows, maybe Karlsson signs?

But really, I think it’s best for everyone if Melnyk sells.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Hopefully whoever buys the Sens fires Dorion.

Well if the scenario above your post came to pass, in that Dorion managed to hold on without crippling the franchise by trading Karlsson until an ownership change came through... I should hope he's not fired, and is held in high regard by the fanbase because he will have conducted a masterclass that makes him a true heir to Bryan Murray.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
It’s not a blood feud. If Melnyk changed his tone, apologized for his antics and offered a good contract, who knows, maybe Karlsson signs?

Probably not great for Melnyk. A new arena and the next expansion will generate a lot of money.

He shouldn't be selling now. He should sell once the new arena is being built.

Punchbowl

Apr 4, 2010
So Karlsson's willing to stay even if Melnyk is still the owner, as long as they clear the air first? I'm not saying this is false info, but it goes against every other report we've heard which basically state Karlsson will only sign if Melnyk sells.

It doesn’t say they need to “clear the air first.”

It says they would need to patch things up. Kind of a tautology, actually (“EK’s fine with staying with Melnyk as long as Melnyk makes him feel fine with staying”).

If Melnyk suddenly drops 30M on the team, hires a new staff, and quits sticking his nose in every transaction, hell, I’m fine with Melnyk staying too!

(Just want to make it clear, I’m grateful for the info mysens, it’s good to hear your thoughts on what’s going on).

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
It doesn’t say they need to “clear the air first.”

It says they would need to patch things up. Kind of a tautology, actually (“EK’s fine with staying with Melnyk as long as Melnyk makes him feel fine with staying”).

If Melnyk suddenly drops 30M on the team, hires a new staff, and quits sticking his nose in every transaction, hell, I’m fine with Melnyk staying too!

(Just want to make it clear, I’m grateful for the info mysens, it’s good to hear your thoughts on what’s going on).

Melnyk doesn't even have to spend the cap every year. Even Montreal is way below the cap right now. He just needs to commit to winning and not lose franchise players because he is afraid to open his pockets.

Punchbowl

Apr 4, 2010
Melnyk doesn't even have to spend the cap every year. Even Montreal is way below the cap right now. He just needs to commit to winning and not lose franchise players because he is afraid to open his pockets.

Honestly, I’d be okay with a budget roster provided we had a first class management squad.

Management costs a fraction of what the roster does, but it’s probably the most crucial part of long term success.

It boggles my mind when people defend Melnyk’s business acumen and overlook the sheer lunacy of his personnel decisions.

Spend big on the guys who’ll save you money. This is just a fundamental tenet of business.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
You heard it here folks.....EK and EM have a fractured relationship, that all. EK is still hurt and upset that he was shopped around at the TDL. He wants to stay and play for ottawa, at the very least , finish the year here. Then, if things are not patched up between the two, he will entertain the thought of playing elsewhere. And that elsewhere is to be a warm, tropical destination, or a place that has a lot of vanity, such as New York, Las Vegas. But, he wants to stay here. He still wants things to work out here, this would make EK and his wife the happiest. He just feels that he is not respected by the owner. Period. Yes.....this is the update, but from the EK camp.

Hashtag insider

Leafs spent almost to the cap for years and sucked. You can’t buy a cup.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Honestly, I’d be okay with a budget roster provided we had a first class management squad.

Management costs a fraction of what the roster does, but it’s probably the most crucial part of long term success.

It boggles my mind when people defend Melnyk’s business acumen and overlook the sheer lunacy of his personnel decisions.

Spend big on the guys who’ll save you money. This is just a fundamental tenet of business.

Agreed im on board with spending smart, lean and mean should be the ideal and no fan should be proud of any wasted $ their team is capable of, it's when some of us noticed the office/mgmt./scouting staff being slashed to the bone that things became alarming, your last statement is bang on, not much else to say you nailed it!

Reactions: Anaxagoras

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
The Senators are a successful team with an amazing record. Better than most, in my opinion.

One **** show season and we are now the worst managed team in history?

lolwut
this team has been a rollercoaster since 2011

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I think Melnyk has to sell the team. I think if Melnyk sells Karlsson will sign with Ottawa long-term. Melnyk sticks around as owner it's anyone guess as to what happens with Karlsson.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON

I really think it’s beyond that. Karlsson knows he won’t be surrounded by a contending team with Melnyk as owner.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
There's a difference between spending wisely and literally being unable to spend.
Most successful teams do spend.

Most successful teams don’t give two year contracts to 36 year olds and they don’t give 3 or 4 year contracts to guys like Zack Smith, Jared Cowen, Andrew Hammond, Mike Condon and a broken down Milan Michalek.

You have to have money to spend, but you have to spend wisely as well. It’s not one or the other. It’s both.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
What did Karlsson say in his interview today in the Athletic with Chris Stevenson. he was interviewed at the pro-am at the Canadian Open.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
What did Karlsson say in his interview today in the Athletic with Chris Stevenson. he was interviewed at the pro-am at the Canadian Open.
I didn’t read the entire article (you have to subscribe and I can’t seem to be able to), but i did get the part where it said that he specifically said that he wouldn’t get into any trade talks during the interview.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

It was mostly about how his ankle feels.

Screen Shot 2018-07-26 at 4.40.54 PM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad