Speculation: KARLSSON Megathread | Part III | MOD Warning Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
His ankle health is just another factor that makes a trade very difficult to make. Teams are likely using his relatively poor season last year as evidence that he's somewhat 'damaged goods' in an effort to drive his value down, but imagine if he rebounds back to his normal level of play. We'd have moved Karlsson for like 10 cents on the dollar.

I don't see how Dorion can trade him - the market just never really materialized. Gotta find some way to keep him in the fold.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I know this cynics will say he has to say he's never felt better because it's in his absolute self interest too. I don't care.

It's still just an absolute gong show that the Ottawa Senators are talking about trading a hall of fame defenceman in his prime who says he's feeling amazing..

Honestly, I think the mysens version is the most plausible one.

Karlsson f***ing hates Melnyk. But he wants to stay, and Dorion probably feels the same way I'd bet.

Now it's a staring contest and everyone on Earth is hoping Melnyk blinks first.

Reactions: Dave Sparky Allison

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018

Karlsson ****ing hates Melnyk. But he wants to stay, and Dorion probably feels the same way I'd bet.

Everyone on earth doesn’t know of Melnyk and most have more important priorities.

But I get it ;)

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I know this cynics will say he has to say he's never felt better because it's in his absolute self interest too. I don't care.

It's still just an absolute gong show that the Ottawa Senators are talking about trading a hall of fame defenceman in his prime who says he's feeling amazing..

Yes, but if he doesn’t have interest in signing here, what can you do? Losing him for nothing isn’t a great option either.

Reactions: albator71

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Most successful teams don’t give two year contracts to 36 year olds and they don’t give 3 or 4 year contracts to guys like Zack Smith, Jared Cowen, Andrew Hammond, Mike Condon and a broken down Milan Michalek.

You have to have money to spend, but you have to spend wisely as well. It’s not one or the other. It’s both.

I agree, but even with those dumb contracts its not like we are/were anywhere near having cap trouble.

It was just goofy how he nit-picked one team failing while spending to say that it's fine that we don't spend/spend poorly.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
I feel like the reason he isn't gone yet is because he doesn't want to be. But he feels like he has no choice and is stalling. What a shitty situation.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Karlsson ****ing hates Melnyk. But he wants to stay, and Dorion probably feels the same way I'd bet.

The fractured relationship between Melynk and Karlsson has been talked about since the beginning of the year. It isn't really a revelation.

Unless the team is sold within the next few months, I can't see Erik sticking around. And, I can't see Eugene selling before Lebreton is set (which will be years).

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Given who is handling the trade, it might be better not to trade Karlsson.

Losing him for nothing does not help us. Ask Isles fans if they enjoyed watching Tavares walk out the door and receiving nothing in return. My first choice is to re-sign Karlsson, but it’s up to him. If he doesn’t want to re-sign then it’s a no brainer for me. You have to move him. You might get an underwhelming return, but that’s still better than nothing.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Losing him for nothing does not help us. Ask Isles fans if they enjoyed watching Tavares walk out the door and receiving nothing in return. My first choice is to re-sign Karlsson, but it’s up to him. If he doesn’t want to re-sign then it’s a no brainer for me. You have to move him. You might get an underwhelming return, but that’s still better than nothing.

Tavares was never on the market so Isles fans can still delude themselves into thinking they could have gotten a great deal for him, and perhaps they could. Who knows?

On the other hand, Karlsson has been on the market for 6 months and from the rumour mill we have a pretty decent idea of what his value is right now. It's not good. Vegas won't entertain adding Cody Glass, Dallas won't include Heiskanen and Tampa won't include Sergachev. We can't get a building block piece for someone who is arguably a top-5 player in the league.

It would be a disaster to trade Karlsson and get something like Julius Honka, Jason Dickinson and some draft picks back. Same applies for Cal Foote and Taylor Raddysh, although Tampa's prospects are quite a bit better in this case.

So I say shut down trade discussions immediately unless one of the interested clubs wants to come back with an offer that includes one of their top prospects/young players. In the meantime, try to figure out a way to keep the guy in the fold. If the deadline rolls around and the team is a trainwreck I guess you can reconsider some of these junk offers at that time.

No need to tank our season before it even begins by making a bad trade under the guise of 'eliminating a distraction'.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
That is great to hear! Even though he improved as the year went on, we know he can be a lot better than he was last year.

How is it great to hear about how he'll be back to Norris form with another team?

I mean, I'm really happy for him personally, but this makes me a whole lot sadder about losing him. And yes, we are losing him.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
How is it great to hear about how he'll be back to Norris form with another team?

I mean, I'm really happy for him personally, but this makes me a whole lot sadder about losing him. And yes, we are losing him.
Because he'll be in Norris form in a Sens uniform to start the season. The "injury" worries will be put to rest and his value will skyrocket.

It will allow more time for a potential sale of the team (and EK re-signing), help the Sens record and increase the return at the TDL.

Last edited:
Reactions: pzeeman

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I think the Turris trade did the relationship with Melnyk in. Karlsson knew the reason why he wasn’t re-signed and his rant about getting market value was a bit after that.

Last edited:
Reactions: SensFan613

SensFan613

Jun 16, 2006
Ottawa
I think the Turris trade did the relationship with Melnyk in. Karlsson knee the reason why he wasn’t re-signed and his rant about getting market value was a bit after that.
Totally agree it was the final nail in the coffin. Just confirmed the fact that this is business if you are going to trade away one of the team's most liked players over money. Why would Karlsson take a hometown discount after that. It is a two way street.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The fractured relationship between Melynk and Karlsson has been talked about since the beginning of the year. It isn't really a revelation.

Unless the team is sold within the next few months, I can't see Erik sticking around. And, I can't see Eugene selling before Lebreton is set (which will be years).

Selling the team now would be incredibly stupid on Melnyk's part.

It isn't something that will be happening soon I don't think.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
We know there was an offer, and it was not made public until it was leaked within a short period of time.

Won't surprise me if the entity with the original offer is still trying to negotiate a sale price with Melnyk. However, you would think there would be further leaks if there was an ongoing discussion of this magnitude. It's possible that Melnyk has just shut the door on any potential parties interested in buying the franchise.

"We hope to get a new owner".

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Would be pretty odd for Melnyk to take out that loan and then a month later sell the team.

That too.

New arena, expansion looming, re-financed etc...

Melnyk likely is considering a sale but it's big business and big money: nothing gets done on a whim, it's a long process because it's a complex one.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Would be pretty odd for Melnyk to take out that loan and then a month later sell the team.

He refinanced the debt. I've heard that it's common ahead of a sale because the buyers would be assuming the debt, therefore would want it to be in good order. It's something he likely would have had to have done in both scenarios (selling/not selling), so I don't think it's any indicator as to whether he's going to sell or not.

He may not even have been in a position to sell if that debt wasn't refinanced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad