Speculation: KARLSSON Megathread | Part III | MOD Warning Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
Melnyk has to losen the purse strings .. sign Karlsson, Stone, Duchene and let the Sens resemble an NHL team that he apparently wants to own.

Karlsson 11.2 million with 20 million in bonus $ in the first 3 years.
Stone 7.5-7.75 x 8
Duchene 7.5-7.75 x 8

Ceci .. under 4.5 ok ... over trade him.
I don't know in what world I would ever agree to Ceci getting 4.5... He's hot garbage.. :rant:

Reactions: JungleBeat

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
It's a very very interesting move if he's refusing to sign an extension elsewhere.

That would be the clearest statement to all the boo birds waiting to pounce that he absolutely wants to stay.

Make no mistake, if that's true he is risking a lot of financial security by not signing as soon as possible, given his injury history.

UnHappyDude

Fire Dorion
Jan 11, 2011
If this drags out to training camp then the underperforming teams will be pressured bigtime to buy and the offers for karll will go up

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I don't know in what world I would ever agree to Ceci getting 4.5... He's hot garbage.. :rant:

Fine with me other than calling a person hot garbage because you don't like how they play. But lets trade him for futures.. promote Jaros and throw the difference at Karlsson's contract

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Fine with me other than calling a person hot garbage because you don't like how they play. But lets trade him for futures.. promote Jaros and throw the difference at Karlsson's contract

Ceci is likely not worth $4.5 M (top-4 money) and he is also not suited to play a shutdown guy in the top-4. He may still have some offence in him, but not under Boucher.

A trade may be the best case scenario for Ceci, which includes re-signing of 65, Stone, and Duchene.

Ceci can still fetch an early round pick as a youngish top-4 guy (on a team with a veteran defensive defenceman), or a combo of a pick + a young prospect in some team's top 7 to 10 ranking. Ceci's still a "baby" for a defenceman as a 24 year old RD who already has a lot of experience (including post season) at that age range.

Last edited:

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
Everyone in this thread is desperate lol. Karlsson is waiting for a team sale. Karlsson wont sign. Teams are in a holding pattern. This is going to playout in training camp.

We don't know shit, Karlsson will likely be traded, the return will be good, and the day all of us don't check our phones for a Karlssonwatch update will be the day he is traded. Soon, but not too soon.

In two weeks time we will know the new franchise direction. If Stone isn't signed, it's a total rebuild. 2 weeks left!

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
AHHHH, see folks, just what I have been saying for months. There was never a deal, nor was any deal close. EK wants to stay here, as I have been saying all along. He is not going anywhere. The owner and the kid are banging heads, as I said before, the billionaire vs the millionaire. Both sides want this figured out. SO, yes, the guy who comes in and ruffles feathers has said what Fried just said.

:biglaugh:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
If this drags out to training camp then the underperforming teams will be pressured bigtime to buy and the offers for karll will go up
Yeah we need tampa to start like 7 and 15. Then maybe yzerman will offer raddysh on top of his Callahan and a second package.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
More so that nothing is brewing right now unless Melnyk backs off on Ryan.
The more this thing gets pushed forward without Karlsson signing in Ottawa , the less likely Ryan will be included in any EK trade imo. I think it is moving towards a rental deal more than anything . No way Ryan is included in a rental deal. Sens should eat some of Ryan's Salary and move him on his own. Even if that was 3 million the savings could be enough to extend Karlsson. Dorion has to grow a pair.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Dorion can screw up all on his own .. but Melnyk makes his job tougher.
Dorion has to push back.. If he already is, he has to push back harder.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
My dream scenario is Karlsson is traded, we obtain great return, EK doesnt sign extension right away, something happens and Melnyk sells, EK returns with Alfie.

If you trade EK65, basically as a rental (by not signing an extension before or after a trade) the Sens won't get a "great return", that only happens if he is signed (to an extension) and then traded after the two teams, and EK 65, all agree where EK65 is going, and who is coming back.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Ceci is likely not worth $4.5 M (top-4 money) and he is also not suited to play a shutdown guy in the top-4. He may still have some offence in him, but not under Boucher.

A trade may be the best case scenario for Ceci, which includes re-signing of 65, Stone, and Duchene.

Ceci can still fetch an early round pick as a youngish top-4 guy (on a team with a veteran defensive defenceman), or a combo of a pick + a young prospect in some team's top 7 to 10 ranking. Ceci's still a "baby" for a defenceman as a 24 year old RD who already has a lot of experience (including post season) at that age range.

The thing is, Dorion protected Ceci in the expansion draft, so he's not going to trade him one year later .... he has to save face if you like, but Dorion likes Ceci, and it would look so foolish to trade him, and would almost be admitting he protected the wrong D man......... which he did not.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
The thing is, Dorion protected Ceci in the expansion draft, so he's not going to trade him one year later .... he has to save face if you like, but Dorion likes Ceci, and it would look so foolish to trade him, and would almost be admitting he protected the wrong D man......... which he did not.

In fairness, I do think Dorion has shown a willingness to eat crow and give up players he recently acquired if it isn't working, Brassard/Burrows etc.

Reactions: Slack

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
He just protected the younger guy with more value, and it was the right move even if we all miss Karlsson having a competent partner. Ceci and many other more important players are now up for new contracts though, so all cards are on the table especially for a team hamstrung by such a low strict budget and inability to pay huge bonus money. I think we do keep him like you do, but i dont think it has anything to do with saving face from the expansion draft.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Everyone in this thread is desperate lol. Karlsson is waiting for a team sale. Karlsson wont sign. Teams are in a holding pattern. This is going to playout in training camp.

We don't know ****, Karlsson will likely be traded, the return will be good, and the day all of us don't check our phones for a Karlssonwatch update will be the day he is traded. Soon, but not too soon.

In two weeks time we will know the new franchise direction. If Stone isn't signed, it's a total rebuild. 2 weeks left!

It goes both ways. We don't know shit, which means we don't know for sure that Karlsson will be traded.

Here are some things to consider:
1. What we do know is that there's a ton of rumblings around ownership, rumors, and leaks. Strange quotes and behaviour, etc. There has been for almost a year now. Where's there's smoke, there's fire.
2. Melnyk is under pressure on many many fronts. The fans, the city, the players, the NCC, the potential buyer, his bank account, etc.
3. Friedman has reported directly that Karlsson would like to stay in Ottawa, but not under current ownership, which is extremely believable based on quotes and interviews
4. The whole situation is extremely complex, there are many many factors at play here that go WELL beyond just a hockey trade. The fact that Simmer reported that a trade was done deal, only to find out later it wasn't even close is not normal. He's an Ottawa reporter, which means someone in the Ottawa organization wanted him to "leak" this. This reeks of politics and gamesmanship from ownership.

I agree with you that I think we may see a conclusion to this before Stone's arbitration. The Stone situation appears to have poped up out of nowhere. He was the most untouchable player at the TDL last year, the next captain after Karlsson. All of a sudden, there's a big question mark over head as he could be a UFA at the same time as Karlsson.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Its often. Zaibanejad and Turris deals are two examples. Soon to be FA needing big deals dealt? Ya , not a coincidence

Heck, even Turris has straight up said that he was traded because of ownership, lol. How much more proof do we need?

Dorion has been very clever in with his trades under these circumstances. He managed to turn these potential losses into solid assets. Turris into Duchene. Zibanejad into Brassard which gave us a solid playoff run, then managed to flip him around for a 1st round pick, which we flipped again to draft the two guys we really wanted in the late 1st round. Not only that, but both those trades were 3-way deals, which are incredibly difficult these days, and he pulled two off in the span of a few months. One of which was so clever, the league initially rejected it because they hadn't seen something like that before, and it seemed like a loophole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad