Kapanen or Nylander?

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Kapanen is the better all around player, and definitely the type of player I would prefer in a playoff series.

I give Nylander the slight edge in terms of offensive skill and possession metrics, but Kapanen is stronger in every other facet of the game, and he has a stronger work ethic. And remember, comparing their respective PPG career averages is not necessarily indicative of much anyway.

Nylander has had the luxury of playing primarily in the top 6 with one of the best centres in the world. Until this season, Kapanen has been used sporadically in the bottom 6 with far inferior linemates due to our previous log jam up front.

A valid comparison would be based on their ice time with Matthews, and although it's early, Kapanen's numbers have been excellent thus far. He's also an elite skater, a relentless forechecker, and a reliable penalty killer.

Babs has done a tremendous job rounding out Kapanen's game.

Last edited:

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Kapanen is the better all around player, and definitely the type of player I would prefer in a playoff series.

I give Nylander the slight edge in terms of offensive skill and possession metrics, but Kapanen is stronger in every other facet of the game, and he has a stronger work ethic.

And remember, comparing their respective PPG career totals is not necessarily indicative of much anyway. Nylander has had the luxury of playing primarily in the top 6 with one of the best centres in the world. Until this season, Kapanen has been used sporadically in the bottom 6 with far inferior linemates due to our previous logjam up front. A valid comparison would be based on their ice time with Matthews, and although it's early, Kapanen's numbers have been excellent thus far. He's also an elite skater, a relentless forechecker, and a reliable penalty killer. Babs has done a tremendous job rounding out his game.
Nylander a slight edge in offensive skill? Wow, we do forget quickly I guess.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
My old grandpappy used to say "if it aint broke, dont fix it". But what did he know, he was a crazy old blind man)

As of right now, Kapanen is a PPG and has a better shooting percentage than Nylander.

And, Kapanen is faster than Nylander. Gets more pucks than Nylander. Kapanen is also helping Matthews score goals. I like when Matthews scores goals.

So would you keep Kapanen on the Matthews line or put Nylander there and put Kappy somewhere else?

I'm obviously going with Kapanen.

The game sample is microscopic so I wouldn't read a ton into KKs shooting percentage. It may be meaningful or it may not hold over a longer period. I doubt Marleau will maintain 0% shooting either. Matthews 5 on 5 has been weak and that is probably because of the difference between Kappy and Willie.

Its a tough call because I think Kapanen will be a lot less effective beside Kadri than Willie could be. When AM stops shooting 50% on the pp he may need more of a contribution than Kapanen can give. On the other hand they need to support Kappy in what may be his breakout year and give him the best chance to succeed and gain confidence. I would be inclined to put Willie by Kadri for most of his shifts, and if Kapanen slows down start to switch them back. I am good with leaving Willie away from Matty most of the time, and then maybe use them more together in the playoffs. If Kapy can get anywhere north of 40pts that is a major achievement and could mean a Nylander-Matthews-Kapanen line next season.

Willie can create his own momentum but Kapanen isn't over the hump yet. If you really want to see the maximum Matthews then its Willie but it might be more beneficial for the club if Nylander is supporting Kadri for the time being.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Willie can create his own momentum but Kapanen isn't over the hump yet. If you really want to see the maximum Matthews then its Willie but it might be more beneficial for the club if Nylander is supporting Kadri for the time being.
If you want to see the maximum Matthews, it's Tavares and Marner on his line. That would be loading your top line like Boston does. And that would blow away Boston's line BTW.

Clark4Ever

Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I agree Kap's are under rated, I just think Willie gets a clear X on the ledger point. I do think Kap is showing another level this year which is exciting.

Nylander is the better offensive player, but if you give Kapanen a full season with Matthews and power play usage, I think his production could be comparable to Nylander.

Reactions: Confucius

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I agree Kap's are under rated, I just think Willie gets a clear X on the ledger point. I do think Kap is showing another level this year which is exciting.
Kappy's going to make Nylander forgettable by Christmas, book it.............

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

I give Nylander the slight edge in terms of offensive skill and possession metrics, but Kapanen is stronger in every other facet of the game, and he has a stronger work ethic. And remember, comparing their respective PPG career averages is not necessarily indicative of much anyway.

Nylander has had the luxury of playing primarily in the top 6 with one of the best centres in the world. Until this season, Kapanen has been used sporadically in the bottom 6 with far inferior linemates due to our previous logjam up front.

A valid comparison would be based on their ice time with Matthews, and although it's early, Kapanen's numbers have been excellent thus far. He's also an elite skater, a relentless forechecker, and a reliable penalty killer.

Babs has done a tremendous job rounding out Kapanen's game.

When Nylander was demoted to the 4th line he scored at a better rate than Kapanen. Same when he was playing on he third line too.

The offensive gap between him and Kapanen is pretty considerable, even though there are very nice attributes to a Kapanen’s game.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Nylander is easily the more skilled player. Kappy is given Babcock options that is for sure. Options are great and come late in the season and in the playoffs being able to throw different looks at our opponents is a valuable tool to have.

Nylander after a few games will find his way back with Mathews and Marleau will likely be there for a while yet.

Clark4Ever

Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
When Nylander was demoted to the 4th line he scored at a better rate than Kapanen. Same when he was playing on he third line too.

The offensive gap between him and Kapanen is pretty considerable, even though there are very nice attributes to a Kapanen’s game.

I think considerable is a strong word. Since being promoted to Matthews' line, Kapanen has demonstrated playmaking abilities that were previously untapped. He has meshed very well with Matthews since their first shift together, and he does not look out of place at all in a premier offensive role.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
From what I saw of Kapanen in the playoffs and even in regular season, he's a much feistier player and he isn't afraid to take a hit in a corner. Nylander is the more skilled player but he's soft as butter. Kapanen looks real good with Matthews, 6 points in 6 games, if on Matthews wing all season I could see him with 60 points himself.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I think considerable is a strong word. Since being promoted to Matthews' line, Kapanen has demonstrated playmaking abilities that were previously untapped. He has meshed very well with Matthews since their first shift together, and he does not look out of place at all in a premier offensive role.

He’s outscored him at every comparable level of play in their careers to date. I mean, I don’t want to come across as rude but that’s as “considerable” as you can get.

Kapanen has had a pair of good games with Matthews (and likely has a couple more points than normal due to Matthews hot streak). But two games doesn’t suddenly erase the past 4 years worth of eye test/stats where Nylander was miles better.

Edit: couple of typos

Last edited:

KDOTO

Feb 17, 2018
TDOTO
What are you going on about? I was serious about it being a great post, thats why there was no :sarcasm: behind it.
Dude u got everyone nuts in your mouth, and that's all I said about u, the rest is for all them poster who are now against Nylander cuz he wants his money. If you one of them then it's for u too, read your reply bro ur wack with all this love shit. This for everyone, go get ur money f*** the manegment who wants u to sacrifice, ur choice, shouldn't be having to made the bad guy for doing so

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
From what I saw of Kapanen in the playoffs and even in regular season, he's a much feistier player and he isn't afraid to take a hit in a corner. Nylander is the more skilled player but he's soft as butter. Kapanen looks real good with Matthews, 6 points in 6 games, if on Matthews wing all season I could see him with 60 points himself.

Using that argument how many points would have Nylander got/get if he had started the season on Matthews wing?

Pacholeafs

Oct 13, 2018
LOL it's not even close.

Kappy offensive skills are lacking (relative to his draft pick/hype). Watch him when he has step on somebody. He would drive to past through them, or stick handle through them but the puck would get poke checked. What makes is his speed. When it comes to skills, its not eveeeeeen close

Reactions: Menzinger

KDOTO

Feb 17, 2018
TDOTO
LOL it's not even close.

Kappy offensive skills are lacking (relative to his draft pick/hype). Watch him when he has step on somebody. He would drive to past through them, or stick handle through them but the puck would get poke checked. What makes is his speed. When it comes to skills, its not eveeeeeen close
Kap should be playing hymen role on that line with willy and Auston, not replacing willy. Like f*** these leaf fans are so fukin erratic, anytime players do somthing they think it's right its shit upon by many. Just some stupid fans all around, even some of the more well rounded poster can be stupid when it comes to players vs management. I knew this season would bring out the crazies leaf fan but damn, more then I anticipated.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Using that argument how many points would have Nylander got/get if he had started the season on Matthews wing?
same as last year? He seems like a steady 20 goal 60 point guy. Maybe Mathews doesnt have the start he has with Nylander on his wing.

If Kapanen gets 70 points this year, will Willie want more money next year, claiming he would have got 80?

Last edited:

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Nylander. Nylander is the better player. Kapanen to Kadri's line I'd guess.

Big Cactus

Gud Pro
Apr 9, 2018
Toronto
How is anyone saying Kapanen is better than Nylander!? Jesus Christ, 6 games into a season and people forget 2+ years of production? Nylander has 2 60 point seasons in his first 2 full years and statistically, is one of the best 5on5 players in the entire league.

That line is due for regression, they have a negative Gf/Ga and Matthews is not shooting 50% the entire year. Use some common sense.

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
My old grandpappy used to say "if it aint broke, dont fix it". But what did he know, he was a crazy old blind man)

As of right now, Kapanen is a PPG and has a better shooting percentage than Nylander.

And, Kapanen is faster than Nylander. Gets more pucks than Nylander. Kapanen is also helping Matthews score goals. I like when Matthews scores goals.

So would you keep Kapanen on the Matthews line or put Nylander there and put Kappy somewhere else?

I'm obviously going with Kapanen.

Here's something my grandfather taught his children: "Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst."

Taking right now under the direction of that piece of advice would see hoping that KK can maintain (or continue to improve) his present success and have it supplemented by the return of William Nylander. In short, why not continue to use the season (provided Nylander returns sooner rather than later) to determine each player's best fit?

Someone proposed playing Nylander on the third line with Kadri when he returns, which makes complete sense. Mindful that, it's unlikely that Nylander remains on the third line. His promotion is going to equate to someone's demotion.

The thing is...it is going to break. That's the nature of competition and unsustainable pace. Matthews is going to his dry spells. Reilly's going to stall and maybe these and other unforeseen problems happen at the same time.

So the focus shouldn't necessarily be, can Kapanen replace Nylander on Matthews line? I think the focus should be, can Kapanen continue to replace Hyman on Matthews' line and can Nylander and Kapanen mesh with Matthews, together? If it's not Hyman that KK is replacing, let's say he's being groomed to replace Marleau. Any scenario we think of with the assets involved, it seems crystal clear that Kapanen is now firmly a top nine player on an impressive top nine. But in the mold of a better scoring Zach Hyman, not as a somewhat lesser scoring William Nylander.

I'd like to see the following top nine in an ideally resolved situation:

Kapanen-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Lindholm

NightTrain1

Oct 20, 2013
Nylander all day and night. Kapenen is definitely a harder worker and will muck it up more, and honestly that is because he doesnt have the skill to put up points otherwise. Everytime Kapanen has the puck in close or on a breakaway i give him a %25 chance of actually scoring. Nylander is frickin dangerous from anywhere and can make passes on a near Marner level as well.

Quite simply, I want BOTH these guys on our team for the next decade because both are going to get even better and our freakin forward group will be unstoppable. But make me choose, and its Nylander.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad