Kapanen or Nylander?

member 300185

My old grandpappy used to say "if it aint broke, dont fix it". But what did he know, he was a crazy old blind man)

As of right now, Kapanen is a PPG and has a better shooting percentage than Nylander.

And, Kapanen is faster than Nylander. Gets more pucks than Nylander. Kapanen is also helping Matthews score goals. I like when Matthews scores goals.

So would you keep Kapanen on the Matthews line or put Nylander there and put Kappy somewhere else?

I'm obviously going with Kapanen.

Last edited by a moderator:

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina
Umm, yeah. Nylander.
Nylander is a 0.73 PPG game player over a large sample size in the NHL ... Kappy not close.
It's Ennis that really needs to go.

If we need to trade one, Kapanen should go for a D-Man.

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
My old grandpappy used to say "if it aint broke, dont fix it".

As of right now, Kapanen is a PPG and has a better shooting percentage than Nylander.

And, Kapanen is faster than Nylander. Gets more pucks than Nylander. Kapanen is also helping Matthews score goals. I like when Matthews scores goals.

So would you keep Kapanen on the Matthews line or put Nylander there and put Kappy somewhere else?

You put both of them on that line and take Marleau off. This thread is kind of like the Sparks thread.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
My old grandpappy used to say "if it aint broke, dont fix it".

And if you get that level of production, you’ll pay the same amount next year when Kappy is a RFA

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
The thing I love about Kap over Willy is his engine is always running and he is crazy fast. They are in different tiers skill wise. Willy is such a gifted play maker and has a sneaky good shot. But I've been so impressed with Kap and his hard work and effort every shift, and it's great to see him rewarded on the score sheet.
Nylander is the more skilled guy, but at this point I'm just looking our team as if he is gone, as every day that goes by is a higher probability of Willy leaving. Hate to see it happen, but it very well could happen at this point.

Reactions: The Cobra

member 300185

Actually, Kapanen has only been on Matthews line 3 times. So, 5 points (he already had a point from before) in 3 games with Matthews.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I don't get how people that have watched hockey for more than one season still don't know better than to get carried away by small sample sizes. And having a high shooting percentage is usually not a very good sign either.

Obvious solution would be to have them both on that line and move the guy who has been a ghost so far this season, Marleau. But I think the third line could need some more scoring talent. I would love to see a Leivo - Kadri - Nylander line if Kapanen can keep making it work on the Matthews line.

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
Kapanen all day every day. I’ll take the guy who will battle and who is built for playoff hockey.

Nylander is a fraud and wilts when the chips are down. He plays scared. He and Jake Gardiner are cut from the same cloth.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Kapanen.

Give Kadri a great player on his line and we will have three really threatening lines.

Matthews has shown he can do more with less. He gets more time with the puck and Kapanen ain’t bad either.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Kapanen has managed a takeaway. Nylander saucered a giveaway. Nylander down to 3rd line. Brown to 4th. Ennis waived. Done.

DavePoulin4PM

Nov 6, 2017
I don't get how people that have watched hockey for more than one season still don't know better than to get carried away by small sample sizes. And having a high shooting percentage is usually not a very good sign either.

Obvious solution would be to have them both on that line and move the guy who has been a ghost so far this season, Marleau. But I think the third line could need some more scoring talent. I would love to see a Leivo - Kadri - Nylander line if Kapanen can keep making it work on the Matthews line.

Lol. Take all of the other noise out of the equation. One guy plays like a gutless, coward and the other plays like a man.

The Nylander worshippers are hilarious. Leafs are clowning Nylander right now. He looks like a total joke. Leafs keep on chugging as does Kap.

Reactions: sittler rules!!!

Pacholeafs

Oct 13, 2018
LOL it's not even close..

when Nylander was one they use to be one of the best line 5 vs 5(right after Pasta/berg/marchand). Now they have been barely generating chance 5 vs 5.

AM's dominant performance/shooting is hiding how mediocre that line has been on 5 vs 5.

Reactions: Tmart335

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Kapanen.

Give Kadri a great player on his line and we will have three really threatening lines.

Matthews has shown he can do more with less. He gets more time with the puck and Kapanen ain’t bad either.
I like that. I think Matthews is showing signs to be much better and more decisive in transition this season, so I think he can take the primary role on his line in that area now. That hasn't been a good option before, as we saw when he was flanked by two players who couldn't move the puck well at all. I still think he needs to be a bit better down low, he does still get careless with the puck on the breakout at times.

Nylander and Kadri have generally had bad results, but that seem to come from a mismatch of Willy and Komarov. That line looked good when Leo was no longer on it. Put Leivo or Johnsson on the other side and it has some serious firepower as well.

member 300185

Lol. Take all of the other noise out of the equation. One guy plays like a gutless, coward and the other plays like a man.

The Nylander worshippers are hilarious. Leafs are clowning Nylander right now. He looks like a total joke. Leafs keep on chugging as does Kap.
Love this post. Especially the bolded part. Hit the nail right on the head.

Reactions: sittler rules!!!

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
definitely kappy at least he is tough enough to go in the corners and can actually make a hit unlike willy who is allergic to the corners and thinks a bodybcheck is skating by the other player and taking a quick swipe with his stick

DavePoulin4PM

Nov 6, 2017
If you want your top player to succeed you put him with someone who can do the heavy lifting. Nylander can’t win battles.. Kapanen competes, wins battles, goes to the tough areas, and his speed creates huge mismatch problems.

Kapanen and co aren’t slowing down anytime soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad