Kapanen or Nylander?

member 300185

I like that. I think Matthews is showing signs to be much better and more decisive in transition this season, so I think he can take the primary role on his line in that area now. That hasn't been a good option before, as we saw when he was flanked by two players who couldn't move the puck well at all. I still think he needs to be a bit better down low, he does still get careless with the puck on the breakout at times.

Nylander and Kadri have generally had bad results, but that seem to come from a mismatch of Willy and Komarov. That line looked good when Leo was no longer on it. Put Leivo or Johnsson on the other side and it has some serious firepower as well.
:thumbu:

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario
It really doesn't matter. Either one playing alongside Kadri and [insert winger here] makes the whole lineup better.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Lol. Take all of the other noise out of the equation. One guy plays like a gutless, coward and the other plays like a man.

The Nylander worshippers are hilarious. Leafs are clowning Nylander right now. He looks like a total joke. Leafs keep on chugging as does Kap.

totally different players, Willie has high end elite skill, Kappy needs to use his speed and grind but has nice hands.

member 300185

If you want your top player to succeed you put him with someone who can do the heavy lifting. Nylander can’t win battles.. Kapanen competes, wins battles, goes to the tough areas, and his speed creates huge mismatch problems.

Kapanen and co aren’t slowing down anytime soon.
Love this. :thumbu:

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Umm, yeah. Nylander.
Nylander is a 0.73 PPG game player over a large sample size in the NHL ... Kappy not close.
It's Ennis that really needs to go.

If we need to trade one, Kapanen should go for a D-Man.
But what would Kapanen be if he’d played his whole career on Matthews wing? Maybe he’s showing us what he’d be these past 5 games. Maybe if Nylander was played Kapanen minutes/lines the last 3 years he’d have Kapanen numbers.

Sounds like somebody is looking for a contract after riding the coattails of Matthews...

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
If the line is thriving when Nylander returns, Kapanen likely stays there and gives Nylander time to get back into the swing of things. It'll take quite a bit to abandon the Matthews-Nylander pairing beyond that though IMO.

Last edited:

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina
But what would Kapanen be if he’d played his whole career on Matthews wing? Maybe he’s showing us what he’d be these past 5 games. Maybe if Nylander was played Kapanen minutes/lines the last 3 years he’d have Kapanen numbers.

Sounds like somebody is looking for a contract after riding the coattails of Matthews...

That's a lot of maybe's in a single post.
No doubt Kappy is off to a fast start with Matthews ... but Nylander is just plain better.

Weren't we all just discussing who was better between Nylander and Marner?

member 300185

Great post.

Discordia

Nov 1, 2017
Nylander is going to be a problem in the dressing room. He was already standoffish with the other players, who all looked like real good friends.

I don't think he hung out with them at all. His Father has enormous pull in his life and his Father is not liked for good reasons.

Nip this in the bud before it grows out of control, get max value for him and move on.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
My old grandpappy used to say "if it aint broke, dont fix it". But what did he know, he was a crazy old blind man)

As of right now, Kapanen is a PPG and has a better shooting percentage than Nylander.

And, Kapanen is faster than Nylander. Gets more pucks than Nylander. Kapanen is also helping Matthews score goals. I like when Matthews scores goals.

So would you keep Kapanen on the Matthews line or put Nylander there and put Kappy somewhere else?

I'm obviously going with Kapanen.

kappy has 6 points in 4 games since coming off the 4th line

matty has 6 est Gs in 6 games

melander won't get a sniff on that line this season, he will be lucky to be up to league speed by our 20/25th game by then kappy will up in the 20s for points

welcome to the 3rd line melander.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Kappy should definitely stay up there. His speed makes Matthews that much more dangerous. When Willie signs he either replaces Marleau with Matthews and Kapanen or starts on the 3rd line with Kadri.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
And lets not forget....Kappy is Mr. Clutch. That could come in handy.

kappy has a pair , when the season gets real, i want 2 wingers that have 0 issue going into the corners against the other top pair D

marleau/matty/kappy all play the same kind of game , all have size weight and will grind for goals, great things for when the season gets real.

melanders style of play is better suited to try and take advantage of other teams 3rd line,

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Nylander scores at a 50 point pace during his initial callup and he was playing alongside fellow AHLers.

Prior to this Season kapanen has a total of 10 NHL points.

So no, I doubt your scenario would be accurate.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
That's a lot of maybe's in a single post.
No doubt Kappy is off to a fast start with Matthews ... but Nylander is just plain better.

Weren't we all just discussing who was better between Nylander and Marner?
When I say in other threads that Pastrnak was "just plain better" than Nylander, I'm told things like "but Nylander didn't play with Bergeron and Marchand."

Ok.

So under that line of reasoning, how much better would Nylander have been than Kapanen if given the same line mates and minutes?

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
Nylander scores at a 50 point pace during his initial callup and he was playing alongside fellow AHLers.

Prior to this Season kapanen has a total of 10 NHL points.

So no, I doubt your scenario would be accurate.
On a 22 game sample size? Careful. I wouldn't put too much weight into such sample sizes... won't be long till we see how many points Kapanen has after 22 games on line 1 with Matthews (with ZERO pp time, btw).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad