Kapanen or Nylander?

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
You move Kapanen to the left and Nylander to the right. Marleau jumps down to Kadri line.

Kapanen - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Marleau - Kadri - Brown
Lindholm - Goat - Leivo

Or move Par to C and switch out Goat for Johnsson but I’ve liked Goat so far.

The real question imo is does Kapanen mean we can trade Willy for a D. If Kapanen explodes this year can we trade him for a D?

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
Kapanen —- Matthews —- Nylander
Hyman —- Tavares —- Marner
Marleau —- Kadri —- Brown
Johnsson —- Lindholm —- Leivo

LMFAO

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
same as last year? He seems like a steady 20 goal 60 point guy. Maybe Mathews doesnt have the start he has with Nylander on his wing.

If Kapanen gets 70 points this year, will Willie want more money next year, claiming he would have got 80?

If's, but's and more Nostradamus speculation. A disingenuous reply with no merit.

Tmart335

Aug 19, 2018
Kappy's going to make Nylander forgettable by Christmas, book it.............

Lol people pretend nylander is a dime a dozen player.

You realize kadri never had a 61 point season until year 6? And that is a career high.

MacKinnon 53 points year 2
Scheifele : 61 points in year 3
Monahan :career high 64
Drouin career high 53
Nouge: career high 56

Nylander has back to back 61 point seasons in year 1 and 2. He could easily hit 70 points lol

People forget pretty easily how good of a player he is. I am a big kapenen fam, but to say he could replace willy is crazy lol

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Marner is a cerebral player. Who cares what Hyman does in this context.

So is Nylander. The point I was trying to make is people want Nylander to bash and crash like Hyman, but why would we want Nylander to effectively play a style that makes him a worse version of himself? There is a reason why a guy like Nylander will and undoubtedly should make more than a guy like Hyman. What Nylander brings to the table is more valuable. While guys like Hyman are necessary for good teams high skilled guys like Nylander are essential.

Honestly when I think of Nylander and Marner I don't see either as being more tough than the other yet Nylander is called a soft kitten while Marner isn't. Marner has more of a motor sure, but that has nothing to do with this fake "playoff toughness" some posters love to talk about.

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
Easy.

Make Johnson-kadri-nylander the shutdown matchup line.

Kadri already known as a matchup God. Nylander is already proven as a take away God. Johnson is also apparently good defensively.

They can also all score.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Matthews is on pace for a 50 goal season.

Nylander has not played shift beside him this season.

Matthews does not need Nylander as his winger. The Maple Leafs as an organization does not need Nylander as his winger.

These last few games, and how that line has operated, and how the other team is playing them, you do not fool around and break that up easily.

That the Marleau - Matthews - Kapanen line, each member does something that Nylander cannot do.

Nylander cannot beat anyone wide, he does not dig pucks out of the corner, he does not score like Matthews.

All Nylander does is skate around with it.

Babcock's credibility as a NHL coach is on the line here. No way Nylander will be Matthews long term winger. Unless he plays like Kapanen, then no.

MorrisSmit89

Mar 20, 2014

Matthews does not need Nylander as his winger. The Maple Leafs as an organization does not need Nylander as his winger.

These last few games, and how that line has operated, and how the other team is playing them, you do not fool around and break that up easily.

That the Marleau - Matthews - Kapanen line, each member does something that Nylander cannot do.

Nylander cannot beat anyone wide, he does not dig pucks out of the corner, he does not score like Matthews.

Babcock's credibility as a NHL coach is on the line here. No way Nylander will be Matthews long term winger. Unless he plays like Kapanen, then no.

Glad the Leafs purged the front office of cancerous opinions such as this

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
So is Nylander. The point I was trying to make is people want Nylander to bash and crash like Hyman, but why would we want Nylander to effectively play a style that makes him a worse version of himself? There is a reason why a guy like Nylander will and undoubtedly should make more than a guy like Hyman. What Nylander brings to the table is more valuable. While guys like Hyman are necessary for good teams high skilled guys like Nylander are essential.

Honestly when I think of Nylander and Marner I don't see either as being more tough than the other yet Nylander is called a soft kitten while Marner isn't. Marner has more of a motor sure, but that has nothing to do with this fake "playoff toughness" some posters love to talk about.

You have to give Marner extra points because he's a local and then it'll all make sense.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Following this logic Babcock should bench the entire team because nobody else can score quite like Matthews can....

Discordia

Nov 1, 2017
Kapanen is the better player. Johnsson is also better. Just need icetime and opportunities to prove it.

TheBigThree

Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
He’s tougher than nylander as well, doesn’t avoid contact and rather save his pretty face then attempt to block a shot

Discordia

Nov 1, 2017
Another thing to take into account re: Nylander longterm is his confidence. When his hair starts fading, how will he deal with that mentally?

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Kind of off topic but would anybody be opposed to giving Kapanen the Jarnkrok deal? You would have to move Brown next year but Kapanen long term on the cheap could pay off big time for us.

Kapanen had said he wanted to try LW to make himself more valuable at the NHL level, so why not give him a shot? sometimes it works out better, Ovi, Lupul, even guys like Leivo play better on their off wing.

Kapanen-Matthews-Nylander OMGGGG
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Brown
Leivo-Lindholm-Johnsson(both wingers play better on their off-wing)
Ennis-Gauthier

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
Guys, Matthews isn’t going to shoot 50% all year. Right now that line looks good, but the real test is how it looks when Matthews sh% comes down to earth to his usual 17%

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
I'm sure 100% of us will obviously take Nylander. Clearly due to circumstances with respect to Nylander, Kapanen has been ceasing the moment filling in for his friend beside Matthews. Kapanen looks good nonetheless. If we can resign Nylander our forward depth will be off the charts, it's already ridiculous the scoring power we have without him.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I'm sure 100% of us will obviously take Nylander. Clearly due to circumstances with respect to Nylander, Kapanen has been ceasing the moment filling in for his friend beside Matthews. Kapanen looks good nonetheless. If we can resign Nylander our forward depth will be off the charts, it's already ridiculous the scoring power we have without him.

at what price though, that is the question? There are terms where Kapanen is the better option.

Budz22

Sep 18, 2018
My old grandpappy used to say "if it aint broke, dont fix it". But what did he know, he was a crazy old blind man)

As of right now, Kapanen is a PPG and has a better shooting percentage than Nylander.

And, Kapanen is faster than Nylander. Gets more pucks than Nylander. Kapanen is also helping Matthews score goals. I like when Matthews scores goals.

So would you keep Kapanen on the Matthews line or put Nylander there and put Kappy somewhere else?

I'm obviously going with Kapanen.
Yikes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad