Feb 18, 2008
Johnsson-Matthews-Marner
Kapanen-Tavares-Nylander
Hyman-Kadri-Lindholm
Marleau-Gauthier-Brown

not thanks

Marleau-Matty-kappy,,,size,weight,speed,corner play, 2 way players
Hyman-JT-marner,,,,skill and a puck hound and some board play and 2 way play
Lindholm-kadri-melander,,,LMAO some teams 1rst line 3 offensively gifted and offensive IQ players.
leivo-the mighty goat-brown,,,safe and possibly dangerous offensive line , down low grindy hockey
AJ subs in time to time.

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina
When I say in other threads that Pastrnak was "just plain better" than Nylander, I'm told things like "but Nylander didn't play with Bergeron and Marchand."

Ok.

So under that line of reasoning, how much better would Nylander have been than Kapanen if given the same line mates and minutes?

Nothing wrong with Kappy ... but Nylander is a proven top line player.
Even in his first NHL stint playing with a crap Leafs team and no Matthews he put up WAY more points than Kappy.

Let's not get carried away with recency bias, or the fact Nylander has not signed a contract.
There is a reason we might be about to pay him 50 million.

Reactions: Willchel Marlynder

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
kappy has a pair , when the season gets real, i want 2 wingers that have 0 issue going into the corners against the other top pair D

marleau/matty/kappy all play the same kind of game , all have size weight and will grind for goals, great things for when the season gets real.

melanders style of play is better suited to try and take advantage of other teams 3rd line,
Agree completely.

It is the breakaway speed Kapanen brings, it opens up the ice for Matthews. Then Marleau compliments that line so well, because he's always in a good position defensively.

Marleau and Kapanen can both beat you wide, and both forecheck for it. Then get it into slot anywhere near Matthews and he does the rest.

How do you defend against that?

Reactions: The Cobra

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Even in his first NHL stint playing with a crap Leafs team and no Matthews he put up WAY more points than Kappy.

Let's not get carried away with recency bias, or the fact Nylander has not signed a contract.
bahahahaha aaaa bahahahahahaha:laugh::laugh::laugh:

there is a reason why he is not signed and you just posted it it ain't happening, get used to it.

Gsh

Oct 14, 2018
As long as Kapanen keeps up his play and the Matthews line keeps producing, keep them together. If you can supply your star with less talent and he continues to produce at a similar rate, you take that opportunity. Putting Nylander onto the Kadri line hopefully will provide a spark to create three offensively potent lines. If the Matthews line is going to draw top line matchups, Kapanen is a better fit as he is much more defensively responsible than Nylander. Ps creeping this board for 3 years

Last edited:

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Agree completely.

It is the breakaway speed Kapanen brings, it opens up the ice for Matthews. Then Marleau compliments that line so well, because he's always in a good position defensively.

Marleau and Kapanen can both beat you wide, and both forecheck for it. Then get it into slot anywhere near Matthews and he does the rest.

How do you defend against that?

yup exactly,, that line plays playoff type hockey

when willi is there, ummmm nope.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015

I just find it unfair that when comparing Nylander to Pastrnak, people are allowed to bring up Marchand, yet when I'm comparing Kappy to Nylander, I'm apparently not allowed to bring up Matthews. All I want is consistency.

Reactions: CelticDruid

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
Kapanen seems comparable to Nylander in other ways than just their physical appearances.

He's fast, he assists, and he scores.

What's the difference between him and Nylander?

He BATTLES. He isn't afraid to get dirty. He has heart and he grinds. He is exactly what you need come playoff time.

Nylander? He's a soft, furry little kitten- a very talented kitten at that, and more talented for sure - but he lacks the heart, grit and braveness of Kapanen. He floats around like a cute little butterfly and he does indeed score those goals - but he's a timid, young, small little butterfly and he'll get bulldozed come playoff time. It's like the other team dismisses him and he'll just sit in the corner.

The playoffs are what matter here. We ARE getting there. And come that time, we're going to need some serious grit to make it through even the first round. We already know we have current defensive problems and at the moment we have a lack of grit to go anywhere in the post-season.

So who will help you come post-season? Nylander or Kapanen?

You guys know the answer.

Keep Kapanen, and compliment him with a stud defenseman via a Nylander trade.

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
But what would Kapanen be if he’d played his whole career on Matthews wing? Maybe he’s showing us what he’d be these past 5 games. Maybe if Nylander was played Kapanen minutes/lines the last 3 years he’d have Kapanen numbers.

Sounds like somebody is looking for a contract after riding the coattails of Matthews...

You mean just like he did during the world championships after earning MVP honours ?:naughty:

Reactions: Tmart335

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Hard to tell with Kappy I want to see how he does with otherplayers, can he succeed if he was put with say kadri on the third line..cause Kappy maybe can give us more value if he is the real deal.

Kappy being a 50-55 point two way beast at 4-5 Mil and all special teams player.

Vs

nylander as a 70 point primarily one way player, pp player and dual positions. At 6-7 million.

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
As much as Kapanen is doing great this season, I say keep him on with Matthews. See where it goes. Nylander hasn’t even played yet and i feel like we will be seeing a much improved player. Just like Matthews and Marner. They are young players with a lot of room to grow Nylander is no exception. He will be an offensive beast too. I say give him a chance and don’t write him off until he hopefully returns to the lineup.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
I can’t believe people still think Nylander will be back! AM has 10 goals already, he is likely on his way to another 40 goal, 82+ point outing which likely means his price went from 11 to 12 million. Marner is likely on pace for a point per game as well which means 8.5-9 per. We simply can’t afford Nylander if we want to improve our D.

Kapanen is a fast winger that gets to the dirty areas, protects the puck and back checks. Not to mention he can bury the puck and set up AM. Plus he is likely to be several million dollars cheaper at this point when we extend him next year.

Kapanen is the choice by default.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Are you a Leafs fan? You Sound more like a Habs fan

well for saying willi is not getting a 50m contract here makes me a scabs fan well

i guess dubas and co must be that also, cuzz he ain't getting that from them.

KDOTO

Feb 17, 2018
TDOTO
Great post.
Wtf dude stop *%@* riding every poster on here, and wtf matters about him wanting money we all do, same with Mm and am, pay what the f*** they worth, and if they believe they worth more wtf are u to say different, f*** Shanny, not players job to work out the cap. I want them paid low but let it be their choice no need to be putting words out there and putting them on the spot. Bs move by Shanny, did he do it for Hartford f*** no, forced his way out after being paid

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Same draft class: Nylander has 135 NHL points vs 14 for Kapanen

How is this even a debate? I mean, I love Kapanen but he also has a high PDO at the moment, don’t let small sample sizes fool you.

On a 22 game sample size? Careful. I wouldn't put too much weight into such sample sizes... won't be long till we see how many points Kapanen has after 22 games on line 1 with Matthews (with ZERO pp time, btw).

You’re way overvaluing the impact that Matthews has on Nylander. Yes it’s a positive, but the improve one another’s play.

NikoEhlers

May 2, 2013
Aalborg, Denmark
Matthews should really have been locked up when you signed Tavares, he ends up becoming more expensive than needed now. But it does sound like Matthews doesnt want to sign a team friendly contract, thats a problem when you are giving him a weapon like Tavares to play with

Saying Nylander isnt need right now is a bit insane, if you can get him on a team friendly contract I wouldnt trade him. Then i'd sign Kapanen to a low long term deal and trade him for a good D. Nylander is not finished growing, he is gonna be worth more when he finds his place in the team and start to deliver better. Give him a no-trade clause if he signs very team friendly long term if he is nervous about getting traded to some shitty place, because that might actually happen, I understand Nylander and Leaf fans should try to understand his position.

I also like Kapanens grit, so its a really nice position to be in for the leafs, and Kapanen is making this very uncomfortable for Nylander. I just still dont think Nylander will be able to give us a stud D via a trade, Nylander hasnt reached his final form yet, which is why it makes more sense to keep him unless a team will give a stud D. for his potential.

Last edited:

member 300185

Kapanen seems comparable to Nylander in other ways than just their physical appearances.

He's fast, he assists, and he scores.

What's the difference between him and Nylander?

He BATTLES. He isn't afraid to get dirty. He has heart and he grinds. He is exactly what you need come playoff time.

Nylander? He's a soft, furry little kitten- a very talented kitten at that, and more talented for sure - but he lacks the heart, grit and braveness of Kapanen. He floats around like a cute little butterfly and he does indeed score those goals - but he's a timid, young, small little butterfly and he'll get bulldozed come playoff time. It's like the other team dismisses him and he'll just sit in the corner.

The playoffs are what matter here. We ARE getting there. And come that time, we're going to need some serious grit to make it through even the first round. We already know we have current defensive problems and at the moment we have a lack of grit to go anywhere in the post-season.

So who will help you come post-season? Nylander or Kapanen?

You guys know the answer.

Keep Kapanen, and compliment him with a stud defenseman via a Nylander trade.
I laughed so hard I thought I was going to pee.

member 300185

Wtf dude stop *%@* riding every poster on here, and wtf matters about him wanting money we all do, same with Mm and am, pay what the **** they worth, and if they believe they worth more wtf are u to say different, **** Shanny, not players job to work out the cap. I want them paid low but let it be their choice no need to be putting words out there and putting them on the spot. Bs move by Shanny, did he do it for Hartford **** no, forced his way out after being paid
What are you going on about? I was serious about it being a great post, thats why there was no :sarcasm: behind it.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
But what would Kapanen be if he’d played his whole career on Matthews wing? Maybe he’s showing us what he’d be these past 5 games. Maybe if Nylander was played Kapanen minutes/lines the last 3 years he’d have Kapanen numbers.

Sounds like somebody is looking for a contract after riding the coattails of Matthews...

Too many Hypotheticals. In the AHL and NHL we have seen Nylander has been better. Nylander isn't riding anyone's coattails. Matthews is the better player yes, but Nylander has proven himself as a top line winger.

Kappy is great and I've wanted to see him with Matthews for a while. Saying that he is no Nylander. Period.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad