Kapanen or Nylander?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Kapanen is a complimentary player.
Nylander isn’t.
You need players like Hyman and Kapanen.
Quality compliments.
The ability to play anywhere in the lineup at anytime with anyone on affordable contracts.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Karlson was signed for *one year*. One single year. With Kapanen the Leafs are looking at a long term contract. People need to use their brains.
No.

People need to stop quoting AAV WithOUT term.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Kapanen is a complimentary player.
Nylander isn’t.
You need players like Hyman and Kapanen.
Quality compliments.
The ability to play anywhere in the lineup at anytime with anyone on affordable contracts.

Kapanen has 12 point in 14 games this year, that's the kind of performance we wish Nylander would produce, plus he adds the playing characteristics of Hyman on top of that production. Should he come close to keeping this up with or without Matthews (2pts in 3 games since Matthews went down) I don't see how he is either going to be seen as a) just a complimentary player (who somehow performs equal to or better than Nylander?!) or b) will get a cheap contract when the time comes (although it may be affordable if he doesn't decide to go the Nylander "I want my overpayment now, thank you, and damn the team" holdout route).

Last edited:
Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
Pleasantly surprised at his play this season, small sample size or not. He is showing this year that hes quite a versatile and valuable player

He's not better than Nylander right now and likely never will be but who knows? He has the pedigree as does willy

I do think there is some merit to players being 'clutch' and this guy seems to have this more than other players.

Time will tell

Last edited:

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Do you know whats better than having a guy like Kapanen on the first line? having a player like Kapanen on the 3rd line. Keep both guys in the fold.

People forget that this guy was once a projected top 10 pick with Nylander and Ehlers before he slipped to Pittsburgh.

The funny thing is that there was a rumour that Shanny was furious with the way Dubas handled the Kessel situation and that was part of the reason Lou was brought in. Lou pulled the trigger to get Andersen with the pick but going after Kapanen at the centerpiece is making me feel better about that trade every day.

Like another poster mentioned.

Matthews-Nylander
Tavares-Marner
Kadri-Kapanen

Everybody else is cap fodder. I like Hyman and Brown but if they have to go so be it.

Reactions: Tracer Bullet

Luminiferous

Oct 11, 2018
We could have had both, if only Lou did not take a geriatric dump on this team. Marleau and Zaitsev contracts anchoring the Leafs true potential.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Kapanen has 12 point in 14 games this year, that's the kind of performance we wish Nylander would produce, plus he adds the playing characteristics of Hyman on top of that production. Should he come close to keeping this up with or without Matthews (2pts in 3 games since Matthews went down) I don't see how he is either going to be seen as a) just a complimentary player (who somehow performs equal to or better than Nylander?!) or b) will get a cheap contract when the time comes (although it may be affordable if he doesn't decide to go the Nylander "I want my overpayment now, thank you, and damn the team" holdout route).
Kapanen is the type of player who gets better as the team gets better. As his line mates get better.
You trade Nylander or Marner to the worst team in the league and they still both put up 60 + points. They will make others better. I don’t think Kapanen would.
So until proven otherwise, I still say compliment IMO.

Reactions: johnny_rudeboy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->