Kapanen or Nylander?

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON
Will say this: Hyman 15 goals, Nylander 20 goals. Kapanen should be able to score 20 playing with Matthews for a season. I like Nylander and all, but lets not anoint him the greatest thing ever, as most players paired with Matthews have had success.

While the combination of Matthews and Nylander is absolutely lethal, Willy is more capable of creating scoring chances for himself. Can't say the same of Hyman or Kapanen.
upload_2018-10-17_10-20-21.png

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Is this really a debate? Willy is the better player hands down. I do think Kappy is a solid top 6 player and an ideal winger for Matthews though. The major difference between the 2 is Kapanen is great in a complimentary role whereas Nylander should be the focal point of any line he plays on. He can drive a line on his own and I've always felt despite some success together he and Matthews cancelled eachother out a little bit.
Factor in team needs and salary though and I'm all for trading Nylander for some D help and signing Kapanen to a more team friendly contract... Which Dubas should do quick before Kapanen puts up 60+ points and its the Nylander situation all over
Actually, Kapanen shall know there is not enough $ (~8 AAV) for him with or without Nylander signed. If I were him, I would be happy to sign a 4~5 AAV for 5 years, to get my rings and to pad my stats. After that, I will move to other team that has cap space (8~9 AAV for 7 yrs).

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
This is perplexing. Nylander all day.

Kapanen has a productive 4 or 5 games with Matthews and people are ready to let go of Nylander. Shiny toy syndrome and recency bias are a funny thing.

FYI, people have been ready to let go of Nylander for years.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
Karlson was signed for *one year*. One single year. With Kapanen the Leafs are looking at a long term contract. People need to use their brains.
Why would the Leafs look for a long term contract for Kapanen? There’s way too much uncertainty with him. If he explodes this year you give him a bridge too.

Reactions: Menzinger

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Why would the Leafs look for a long term contract for Kapanen? There’s way too much uncertainty with him. If he explodes this year you give him a bridge too.

If you understand the situation, how the CBA works, and Kapanen's pedigree and his talent, you definitely look for a long term contract for Kapanen. Not 7 or eight years of course, but something like 5.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
If you understand the situation, how the CBA works, and Kapanen's pedigree and his talent, you definitely look for a long term contract for Kapanen. Not 7 or eight years of course, but something like 5.
Lol that’s such a condescending response that doesn’t actually give any reason as to why you’d offer a long term deal

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Credit to Kapanen for playing so well but what we should take note in all of this is Matthews' ability to elevate his linemates

Firstly, explain what happened to Ennis.

Secondly, Kapanen's first goal last night, however, didn't have a lot to do with Matthews specifically, was it? Kapanen is showing what he can do when he's actually on a line without anchors like Pleckanec, Moore, Komarov etc (where even so he scored at a 15 goal rate playing 4th line minutes with broken down geezers). IE when he is given *time* in the offensive zone that being on a first line allows him. Question is, is Matthews going away? If not, its more than likely that Kapanen will continue to excel, right? We want to keep players like him around, right.

Thirdly, what happened to Ennis? After all, as a former top line player, why wasn't he elevated by Matthews abilities?

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Lol that’s such a condescending response that doesn’t actually give any reason as to why you’d offer a long term deal

I explained everything you needed to know to understand why. You could try to educate youself as to why what I said makes sense. Its not hard.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
Firstly, explain what happened to Ennis.

Secondly, Kapanen's first goal last night, however, didn't have a lot to do with Matthews specifically, was it? Kapanen is showing what he can do when he's actually on a line without anchors like Pleckanec, Moore, Komarov etc (where even so he scored at a 15 goal rate playing 4th line minutes with broken down geezers). IE when he is given *time* in the offensive zone that being on a first line allows him. Question is, is Matthews going away? If not, its more than likely that Kapanen will continue to excel, right? We want to keep players like him around, right.

Thirdly, what happened to Ennis? After all, as a former top line player, why wasn't he elevated by Matthews abilities?

Nobody can turn a fringe NHL player into gold. Not Crosby. Not McDavid. A former top line player who's career high came at age 21 with 49 points? In his last 2 seasons, he's played 124 games and put up 35 points.

Kapanen can be a very good player but you cannot tell me that he's still putting up 8 points in 7 games without playing with a great player like Matthews. Again, Kapanen is playing well but there's no question that playing with Matthews has elevated his production.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I think we need to pump the brakes a tad on Kappy, I found today's radio analysis over the top. It's been 5 games, and he's playing with a superstar. I'm loving the coming out party, don't confuse, but it's too much for me at the moment. He ain't Nylander.

He's not Nylander. Nylander is more offensively gifted, but Kapanen is no slouch offensively and is better in all the other facets of the game.

Better offensive player - Nylander

Better all around player - Kapanen

Reactions: Boutette

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
He's not Nylander. Nylander is more offensively gifted, but Kapanen is no slouch offensively and is better in all the other facets of the game.

Better offensive player - Nylander

Better all around player - Kapanen
I think that’s crazy to say right now to be honest.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
I think that’s crazy to say right now to be honest.

Right now perhaps, only because Kapanen has never really had a shot at playing with gifted offensive players. He was a former 1st round pick, so its not like he is really surprising anyone. If he continues to play at this level and reaches, say 50 pts, he is more valuable than Nylander due to being a much more well rounded player.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Nobody can turn a fringe NHL player into gold. Not Crosby. Not McDavid. A former top line player who's career high came at age 21 with 49 points? In his last 2 seasons, he's played 124 games and put up 35 points.

Kapanen can be a very good player but you cannot tell me that he's still putting up 8 points in 7 games without playing with a great player like Matthews. Again, Kapanen is playing well but there's no question that playing with Matthews has elevated his production.

True. Playing with Kadri, Kapanen probably has 4-5 points in 7 games, and maybe Kadri and Lindholm have more points instead of Matthews and Marleau. Nylander playing with Kadri probably has 4-5 points in 7 games too providing similar effect. So, now the team has choices, which is good. Maybe they short Willie and long Kapanen.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
I'm a very big Kapanen supporter (always have been). He is one of the fastest players in the NHL, hes learning how to play with skill at higher speeds, plays hard along the boards, and kills penalties. His style of play really compliments Matthews and makes the line better in the match up game. I put a lot of the blame of Matthews poor post season on Nylander due to his unwillingness to battle and engage physically. He spent the majority of the time playing perimeter and not driving to the net. His typical play is to drive wide and immediately cut back and survey the ice for any passing options. Kapanen drives down the wing, gets the puck in deep and fights for possession and position. For me, Kapanen is a major cog moving forwards, and his ability to slot anywhere in our lineup will play into our favour long term.

The only way i see Nylander being a long term component of the Leafs is if he develops into a center, and if this is the case hes not going to be playing on Matthews wing. Kapanen is Matthews current and future RWer. Lets get used to it.

NOTE** Only reason why i see Nylander as the odd man out, is because of the inevitable cap restrictions.

jazzeyman

Sponsor
Dec 15, 2013
Kapanen being some kind of beast along the boards is a myth. Yes he gets to pucks that are shot in first, because he is fast, but how often does he actually come up with it. I see him shy away from contact more often than not.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Right now perhaps, only because Kapanen has never really had a shot at playing with gifted offensive players. He was a former 1st round pick, so its not like he is really surprising anyone. If he continues to play at this level and reaches, say 50 pts, he is more valuable than Nylander due to being a much more well rounded player.
Your first three words is all I've said.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00