Kapanen or Nylander?

Aintboutdatlyfe

Oct 21, 2017
Kappy has a 23% sh% and a PDO of 108.7%

If anyone truly believes his current scoring is anywhere near sustainable, please PM me, I have a collection of “magical beans” I will be willing to sell to you at a very reasonable price.

The thing is, he doesn't have to be a 1.6ppg player, which he obviously won't keep up. But even after a regression that number could settle into something good, and he's a good defensive player to boot and has a high motor - I say play both of them with Matthews when Willy gets back. But Regardless of his current production, Kapanen is showing he has what it takes to stick on our top line.

Reactions: Clark4Ever

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Some of you guys are in your own worlds.

There is a difference between "sample size" and concepts like "trend" and typical sports ideas like "potential".

We can talk about sample size all we want.

It will not be interesting.

What is sample size? All that is - he's hot right now. Or he's cold right now.

That does not answer important questions like can Kapanen play with Matthews and hang with him? What is the potential there, if any?

Those are the important questions. Trend opposed to a fluke. Potential, if the coach sees any or not.

But you guys are stuck on shooting percentage and sample size.

Why? I do not have a clue.

Players don’t randommy start shooting 10+ % above their career average without getting a massive amount of luck. PDO essentially measures unsustainable streaks, anything above 100 is abnormal and he’s well above that.

For every example of a smaller ample size being a true indicator of a players ability there are hubdreds of examples to the contrary.

There seems to be some chemistry with Matthews but that doesn’t mean his current offensive output is going to last or even be close to what it is presently.

I mean Leafs abs have gone through this song and dance countless times. I remember when everybody proclaimed Percy a lock to be a top pair D man because of a couple hot games during his initial callup....

Reactions: Big Cactus

Aintboutdatlyfe

Oct 21, 2017
Players don’t randommy start shooting 10+ % above their career average without getting a massive amount of luck. PDO essentially measures unsustainable streaks, anything above 100 is abnormal and he’s well above that.

For every example of a smaller ample size being a true indicator of a players ability there are hubdreds of examples to the contrary.

There seems to be some chemistry with Matthews but that doesn’t mean his current offensive output is going to last or even be close to what it is presently.

I mean Leafs abs have gone through this song and dance countless times. I remember when everybody proclaimed Percy a lock to be a top pair D man because of a couple hot games during his initial callup....

Kappy won't shoot 23% cause no one does but his career averages are pretty useless in this scenario considering he was stuck on a booty fourth line for the first 50 games of his career compared to playing on a top line with skill players now - The proper role for Kapanen.

Reactions: socko

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Kappy won't shoot 23% cause no one does but his career averages are pretty useless in this scenario considering he was stuck on a booty fourth line for the first 50 games of his career compared to playing on a top line with skill players now - The proper role for Kapanen.

The best snipers in the league don’t shoot anywhere near that.

Yes he’s been given an opportunity to shine, br this is such a randomized sample Dubas would be an idiot to make a major decision based on it. Fortunately he doesn’t seem to be one

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar

Yeah but ...

Then why bring up those figures at all.

We all see they are on a roll. Matthews hot start is a good launch for him to possibly getting to 50 goals this year. Some years are better than others. That is a fact in pro sports.

Kapanen, sure looks like he can hang with Matthews. That's really all we need to know. If he cools off ... well ... like ... what is the surprise there?

What you guys who are into this stuff may want to find out, is extrapolate this hot start in the past 5 games from Matthews + Kappenan and compare that to Matthews + Nylander.

Just take the stats of the last 5 games and assume that is 10 games played together by Matthews + Kapanen. We make the assumption they will not register another point in the next 5 games.

Then that that manufactured 10 game segment (which consists of only 5 games) and we try to compare it to any 10 game segment of when Matthews + Nylander played together.

Did Matthews + Nylander ever exhibit this type of production and dominance that we have seen in this segment with Matthews + Kapanen.

I do not believe we have. Matthews + Kapeanen may indeed be better that any other Matthews + player combination.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Kapanen a first round draft choice. Matthews first draft choice overall. Marleau forget he went 1st or 2nd. They will be good.

:cheesy:

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
If I was Nylander and I knew I would be demoted to the third line with little chance of getting big PP minutes, then I would ask for a trade at this point. I'm sure he doesn't want to play anywhere else than Toronto, but it's his career at stake here. It's perfectly alright to put him on the 3rd or even 4th line to start off, but the plan has to be to fit him in one of the top lines or it's a waste.
Now we have players demanding where and when they play? To this I'd say "don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out Willie".

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Kapanen who called Nylander his "best friend" said he's not trying to take Nylander's spot in the lineup.
"I get to play with those guys for now and who knows what happens once he comes back," Kapanen said after Tuesday's practice. "I'm not trying to steal anybody's spot or whatever like that. He's pretty much my brother - he's a brother to me - and I've been trying to talk to him a little bit now but it's all good. I don't think Willie's too upset or he's not rooting for me. Obviously he's going to be happy for me and hopefully we see him soon."

https://www.tsn.ca/babcock-mum-on-lines-when-nylander-returns-1.1192727

Morale of the story:
St0p making these division based threads ffs

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I'm not messing with Hyman-Tavares-Marner and Marleau-Matthews-Kapanen lines as they've been excellent thus far (knowing it's a small sample size). I want that chemistry to continue to grow stronger as the season progresses.

The 3rd line needs work and that's where I'd slot in Nylander with Kadri and Leivo
I dunno, we’ve seen Kadri+Nylander before, and ... meh. Kadri+Marner were dominant together though. I think JT would likely do great with Marner or Nylander, but I think Kadri is much more likely to be great with Marner than Nylander, based on seeing these pairings last year.

Last edited:

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
Is this really a debate? Willy is the better player hands down. I do think Kappy is a solid top 6 player and an ideal winger for Matthews though. The major difference between the 2 is Kapanen is great in a complimentary role whereas Nylander should be the focal point of any line he plays on. He can drive a line on his own and I've always felt despite some success together he and Matthews cancelled eachother out a little bit.
Factor in team needs and salary though and I'm all for trading Nylander for some D help and signing Kapanen to a more team friendly contract... Which Dubas should do quick before Kapanen puts up 60+ points and its the Nylander situation all over

Last edited:

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
If you want your top player to succeed you put him with someone who can do the heavy lifting. Nylander can’t win battles.. Kapanen competes, wins battles, goes to the tough areas, and his speed creates huge mismatch problems
Kapanen and co aren’t slowing down anytime soon.

I don't think this is fair or accurate TBH. Willy's puck retrieval ability is one of the major strengths of his game. He also hounds pucks on the back check and causes turnovers. Kapanen is the faster player though. Probably faster than about 99% of the league so he's almost always the first to pucks which is a huge advantage

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I'm a big Kappy fan and believe he'll be a really good NHL player but Nylander is way better right now and its not even close. Kapanen has been productive for EIGHT DAYS in the NHL vs Nylanders two full seasons. Maybe give it a few weeks before we start going nutso.

Not many guys put up as many points at such a young age as Kappy did in the AHL, but most guys didnt play as many games either. The best comparrisons for his progression right now are Brett Connolly and Ryan Spooner. Almost identical PPG and games played before making the NHL. While a bit younger, a solid 3rd liner with the potential to play up is about what he'll be. I like the guy but all this talk about him making Nylander expendable is crazy.

I posted it the other day but only 21 active players have put up back to back 60 point seasons by age 21 like Nylander has and most of them are sure fire hall of famers. The youngish ones are McDavid, Laine, F.Forsberg, Monahan, Pasta, Ehlers, Marner.

Nylander actually projects really similarly to Forsberg and is comparable to Marner and Ehlers right now (despite Marners hot start and Ehlers cold streak). As long as we get him between $6M and $7M you lock him into your top 6 the next 6-8 years easily.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
No. This is not joke thread, but it is a long one.

Two posters were discussing the concept of sample size, where one of them asked out loud "where in the world" can a small sample exist.

Hence I provided one.

Feel free to continue the the discussion.

You're not adding to it, just diverting it with tangential nonsense.

Let's stick to the actual discussion at hand: Kapanen, and how we shouldn't be replacing Nylander as Matthews' winger based on a 5 game sample from Kappy.

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON
This is perplexing. Nylander all day.

Kapanen has a productive 4 or 5 games with Matthews and people are ready to let go of Nylander. Shiny toy syndrome and recency bias are a funny thing.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

ashs

Oct 27, 2007
sign him to a bridge, then park him on the 3rd line :) otherwise trade the scrib

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Some of you guys are in your own worlds.

There is a difference between "sample size" and concepts like "trend" and typical sports ideas like "potential".

We can talk about sample size all we want.

It will not be interesting.

What is sample size? All that is - he's hot right now. Or he's cold right now.

That does not answer important questions like can Kapanen play with Matthews and hang with him? What is the potential there, if any?

Those are the important questions. Trend opposed to a fluke. Potential, if the coach sees any or not.

But you guys are stuck on shooting percentage and sample size.

Why? I do not have a clue.

i kinda care little about "sample size" issues

i look at how they are getting it done and how much "fluke" is involved with his points (kappy)

well, that line is playing playoff style hockey and these points that he is getting don't look cheap or fluky.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I think we need to pump the brakes a tad on Kappy, I found today's radio analysis over the top. It's been 5 games, and he's playing with a superstar. I'm loving the coming out party, don't confuse, but it's too much for me at the moment. He ain't Nylander.

you are right kappy is a BETTER 1rst line winger

and willi is a BETTER 3rd line winger.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Will say this: Hyman 15 goals, Nylander 20 goals. Kapanen should be able to score 20 playing with Matthews for a season. I like Nylander and all, but lets not anoint him the greatest thing ever, as most players paired with Matthews have had success.

Reactions: Confucius

Atrusai

Oct 9, 2017
Kapanen AND Nylander. /thread

Jokes aside, if/when Nylander comes back our #1 priority should be to get Kadri's line rolling.

Reactions: Menzinger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad