Kapanen or Nylander?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Good points except for the Leivo one. Leivo has missed the net more than anyone I have ever seen playing hockey.
personally I think Leivo's looked great, I didn't think he'd ever get a fair shot after being relegated to Babcock's doghouse. It just goes to show "never give up hope".

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I’m sure you’d also have to agree the coaching staff was dissatisfied with Willie’s play at center since they ultimately yanked him and put Marleau in that spot. And he continued to slump at Wing until Matthews returned.

Wille is likely farther down the center depth chart than ever. If injuries hit, the Leafs would be way more likely to move Par up the lineup or put Marleau back in. Nylanders prospects of ever becoming a center for this team are very dim.
yup they tried multiple combinations when AM was out but unfortunately they all included Hyman so as i said i'm not going to dump on Nylander and others if they're good enough to compensate for ZH's lack of skill

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
yup they tried multiple combinations when AM was out but unfortunately they all included Hyman so as i said i'm not going to dump on Nylander and others if they're good enough to compensate for ZH's lack of skill
ZH looks pretty good to me

Reactions: rumman

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
My old grandpappy used to say "if it aint broke, dont fix it". But what did he know, he was a crazy old blind man)

As of right now, Kapanen is a PPG and has a better shooting percentage than Nylander.

And, Kapanen is faster than Nylander. Gets more pucks than Nylander. Kapanen is also helping Matthews score goals. I like when Matthews scores goals.

So would you keep Kapanen on the Matthews line or put Nylander there and put Kappy somewhere else?

I'm obviously going with Kapanen.

Kapanen's done great this season... in a small sample. Let's not get too ahead of ourselves.

Matthews scored plenty of goals with Nylander on his wing, often the result of his ludicrous passes. Any suggestion that Kapanen adds more value on Matthews' line than Nylander is simple recency bias.

Why not throw Kapanen on his off-wing and run Kapanen - Matthews - Nylander? Marleau probably would feel more at home on Kadri's wing anyways.

Reactions: NovaLeaf

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Nylander would probably sit out or go to the KHL. Too much pride with that guy.

cool story BRUH!!! bahahahahah aaaaa bahahahaha:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

russian legend level superstars only get 5/6m per in that league

oh and as of right now their regular season is already 33% played.

so maybe melander gets a 3.6m per - 33% season spent soooooo

soo enjoy your 2.4m season and turn your back on 6 million, very very smart:confused:

have fun living and travelling in russia:cool:

be careful not to getting hurt and take the train.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I tend not to get to hung up on what people say in life, but what they actually do.

And I dont know if Gross has talked to other teams. Not sure that is something he is allowed to do? I mean, Nylanders rights are still owned by the Leafs.
yup, he can talk to other teams,,,, willing is a free agent afterall

he can even sign with another team

the only restrictions are ,,,they are not guaranteed to get him even if he signs

Reactions: johnny_rudeboy

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
personally I think Leivo's looked great, I didn't think he'd ever get a fair shot after being relegated to Babcock's doghouse. It just goes to show "never give up hope".
just like the mighty goat

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I do like the suggestion of trying 3 balanced lines once Willie signs:

Marleau - Matthews - Kap
Hyman - JT - Nylander
Leivo - Naz - Marner
Lindholm - Gauthier - Brown

Kadri’s line has been quiet, I’m sure Marner would fix that. How do you defend a lineup like that? Any of the top 3 lines can destroy you.

Downside is that if Kapanen plays on the top line all year, he’s going to be significantly more expensive as an RFA.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
I do like the suggestion of trying 3 balanced lines once Willie signs:

Marleau - Matthews - Kap
Hyman - JT - Nylander
Leivo - Naz - Marner
Lindholm - Gauthier - Brown

Kadri’s line has been quiet, I’m sure Marner would fix that. How do you defend a lineup like that? Any of the top 3 lines can destroy you.

Downside is that if Kapanen plays on the top line all year, he’s going to be significantly more expensive as an RFA.

I'm not messing with Hyman-Tavares-Marner and Marleau-Matthews-Kapanen lines as they've been excellent thus far (knowing it's a small sample size). I want that chemistry to continue to grow stronger as the season progresses.

The 3rd line needs work and that's where I'd slot in Nylander with Kadri and Leivo

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Says the entire career of both players outside of a 7 game stretch. Lol how do you guys constantly overreact to small sample sizes.

Because often the small sample size if correct

In what world does that make sense.

In the world of sports.

For example, the Cincinnati Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis. He had done a wonderful job of making that team a legitimate playoff team year after year.

However, his playoff record is 0-7.

Is that a small sample size?

It gets to a point, where everyone wonders does he have in him to take the team to another level, which is to win one single playoff game.

Remember Tony Dundgy in Tampa Bay. He made the Tampa Bay Bucanneers a real contender. He got fired for it and they hired John Gruden, the Chuck-e fellow. Ownership and management did not have the confidence Tony Dundgy could take the team to the next level, and he probably only played less than 5 playoff games at that point.

It worked. Gruden took the Bucs over the hump and won the Superbowl.

NovaLeaf is correct. Small sample sizes can work in sports.

Unless you think Marvin Lewis can win a playoff game. Those Cincinnati Bungals fans, just Leafs fans in disguise.

:baghead:

Wonder if this post will be deleted too?

:cheesy:

Svanstrom

Oct 26, 2013
Lund, Sweden
rolling 3 powerful lines would cause more headaches for the opposing teams imo.
If I was Nylander and I knew I would be demoted to the third line with little chance of getting big PP minutes, then I would ask for a trade at this point. I'm sure he doesn't want to play anywhere else than Toronto, but it's his career at stake here. It's perfectly alright to put him on the 3rd or even 4th line to start off, but the plan has to be to fit him in one of the top lines or it's a waste.

Big Cactus

Gud Pro
Apr 9, 2018
Toronto
In the world of sports.

For example, the Cincinnati Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis. He had done a wonderful job of making that team a legitimate playoff team year after year.

It gets to a point, where everyone wonders does he have in him to take the team to another level, which is to win one single playoff game.

Remember Tony Dundgy in Tampa Bay. He made the Tampa Bay Bucanneers a real contender. He got fired for it and they hired John Gruden, the Chuck-e fellow. Ownership and management did not have the confidence Tony Dundgy could take the team to the next level, and he probably only played less than 5 playoff games at that point.

Unless you think Marvin Lewis can win a playoff game. Those Cincinnati Bungals fans, just Leafs fans in disguise.

Yeah not really sure if comparing a completely different sport proves your point. Not to mention you provided a completely different context to comparing players. We’re not talking about teams or coaches here. Clearly smaller samples in football will have more value when they play 16 games a season lol. We play 82 games here.

Kappy is good. Nylander is better. Ingnoring years of production and pointing to 5 games of production on a line with an unsustainable shooting percentage is kinda ridiculous imo. Can’t wait till The Goat scores 3 goals in 4 games and now he’s better than kadri.

Reactions: Menzinger

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Says the entire career of both players outside of a 7 game stretch. Lol how do you guys constantly overreact to small sample sizes.

If you compare their respective career numbers prior to the NHL, their production is very similar. At the NHL level, the comparison isn't valid based on their usage, ice time, and the quality of their linemates.

This is the first time in Kapanen's NHL career that he's been given a legitimate shot to be an impact player in a top 6 role, and so far, he looks like a natural.

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
would love it to be Kappy AND Nylander, not OR.

BUT, if it has to be an "or" then there is no comparison.

Only one is a gamer. The other, not so much.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
In the world of sports.

...Why are you comparing NFL coaches' win-loss records to NHL player production?

We're talking sustainability of production here, not the ability to coach a team to a win what is essentially a coin flip in a totally different sport.

You're joking, right?

Reactions: Big Cactus

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Kappy has a 23% sh% and a PDO of 108.7%

If anyone truly believes his current scoring is anywhere near sustainable, please PM me, I have a collection of “magical beans” I will be willing to sell to you at a very reasonable price.

Reactions: Big Cactus and IPS

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
...Why are you comparing NFL coaches' win-loss records to NHL player production?

We're talking sustainability of production here, not the ability to coach a team to a win what is essentially a coin flip in a totally different sport.

You're joking, right?
No. This is not joke thread, but it is a long one.

Two posters were discussing the concept of sample size, where one of them asked out loud "where in the world" can a small sample exist.

Hence I provided one.

Feel free to continue the the discussion.

Aintboutdatlyfe

Oct 21, 2017
If I was Nylander and I knew I would be demoted to the third line with little chance of getting big PP minutes, then I would ask for a trade at this point. I'm sure he doesn't want to play anywhere else than Toronto, but it's his career at stake here. It's perfectly alright to put him on the 3rd or even 4th line to start off, but the plan has to be to fit him in one of the top lines or it's a waste.

It's a good thing you're not Nylander then

Reactions: rumman

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Kappy has a 23% sh% and a PDO of 108.7%

If anyone truly believes his current scoring is anywhere near sustainable, please PM me, I have a collection of “magical beans” I will be willing to sell to you at a very reasonable price.
Some of you guys are in your own worlds.

There is a difference between "sample size" and concepts like "trend" and typical sports ideas like "potential".

We can talk about sample size all we want.

It will not be interesting.

What is sample size? All that is - he's hot right now. Or he's cold right now.

That does not answer important questions like can Kapanen play with Matthews and hang with him? What is the potential there, if any?

Those are the important questions. Trend opposed to a fluke. Potential, if the coach sees any or not.

But you guys are stuck on shooting percentage and sample size.

Why? I do not have a clue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad