Kapanen or Nylander?

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I don't know why some people are trying to paint the emergence of Kapanen as a bad thing. (Mostly on Leafs Twitter)

"Great now we have to pay him too"

Last week he was worth maybe a 2nd round pick. If he keeps playing this way, and prices himself out of the team, we'd actually be able to get a decent return for him. Instead of trading Nylander for a second pair defensemen plus a couple of picks, maybe Kapanen will bring his value up to the point we we can just trade him outright for the defensemen? Not saying any of this will or should happen, but an asset increasing in value isn't a bad thing.

If Kapanen can continue putting up points at this rate on Matthews' line, I would rather keep him over Nylander to be honest because he plays in all situations, and he won't cost as much down the road. Nylander will also fetch a better return and happens to be the player in a midst of a contract dispute.

member 300185

you're the worst type of Leafs "fan".

Pitting two players against each other.
Seriously? Thats exactly what every elite coach has done every season is pit players against one another. You want the winners to come to the top.

member 300185

Dubas should go to Nylander and say "Our price just went down. I think we're set on offence. What team do you want to get traded to? I will send you pretty much anywhere you want to go"

Then see what happens. Nylander would cave like a cheap suit. 8 years, 5.5 per year.

AuGsY

Nov 7, 2011
Dubas should go to Nylander and say "Our price just went down. I think we're set on offence. What team do you want to get traded to? I will send you pretty much anywhere you want to go"

Then see what happens. Nylander would cave like a cheap suit. 8 years, 5.5 per year.

Nylander would probably sit out or go to the KHL. Too much pride with that guy.

Reactions: NovaLeaf

member 300185

would rather have willy with his awesome zone entries gaining the zone on Kadri's wing with either Leivo/Linholm playing as someone that is good on the boards.

I think Par would win because of his skating speed but I think leivo is much better on the boards and has a better shot
Good points except for the Leivo one. Leivo has missed the net more than anyone I have ever seen playing hockey.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
His dad is very successful in his own right. He made over $30M playing hockey. Michael's dad was even more successful owning a large business in Stockholm, Sweden run by Michael's brother. This family is loaded. If William does not make a single nickel from hockey it will not impact his life or his kids lives in Sweden. Hockey is their passion. You may not like Willy's dad but to say he is not successful or their family is not successful is flat out wrong. You can say i dont like the guy or he wants too much money fine. But many people would die to be in the position Michael is in in life. And he wants the best for his sons.

Reactions: The Cobra

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
First of all, we know nothing of what Nylanders camp is asking for or what the Leafs is offering. That they are far from each other however is no secret since otherwise a deal would have been signed, simple logic.

But we just dont know the terms or the money they argue over. We can only speculate until it is finalized or something actually leaks.

And while I admire your romantic view on this business, a view I once held my self. I do see the NHL more and more as any other entertainment, out side the rink.
So, you don't believe that Gross has talked to other teams? That is totally naïve. The numbers being thrown around are highly consistent. As for your pessimism, it runs contrary to what many players have said publicly.

Smart Alek

Jul 13, 2002
His dad is very successful in his own right. He made over $30M playing hockey. Michael's dad was even more successful owning a large business in Stockholm, Sweden run by Michael's brother. This family is loaded. If William does not make a single nickel from hockey it will not impact his life or his kids lives in Sweden. Hockey is their passion. You may not like Willy's dad but to say he is not successful or their family is not successful is flat out wrong. You can say i dont like the guy or he wants too much money fine. But many people would die to be in the position Michael is in in life. And he wants the best for his sons.

If somebody argued that he wasn't 'successful', I must have missed it. I believe the discussion revolved around whether or not he belongs to the phylum, 'Asshat'... scientifically speaking.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
So, you don't believe that Gross has talked to other teams? That is totally naïve. The numbers being thrown around are highly consistent. As for your pessimism, it runs contrary to what many players have said publicly.

I tend not to get to hung up on what people say in life, but what they actually do.

And I dont know if Gross has talked to other teams. Not sure that is something he is allowed to do? I mean, Nylanders rights are still owned by the Leafs.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Oh ok. My buddies kid played for him on Steelheads. He was a coach when his son Alex played in Mississauga. He said he was a serious guy and really really tough on his own kid in training. Like he went mental on him a few times in practice. But he was generous and often picked up the tab for team dinners.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I tend not to get to hung up on what people say in life, but what they actually do.

And I dont know if Gross has talked to other teams. Not sure that is something he is allowed to do? I mean, Nylanders rights are still owned by the Leafs.
RFAs can speak to other teams starting the day after qualifying offers are due. There is talk alright

Reactions: johnny_rudeboy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad