Prospect Info: K'Andre Miller (D) - Part IV

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I just caution everyone here to be willing to stick with this kid when he has the inevitable setback/cold stretch. He has a tantalizing set of tools and his deployment of them this early is amazing and super encouraging.

Wrong thread for this, but when I complain about Kakko, it’s because to my eyes, he hasn’t jumped out and flashed potential (in the NHL) at anywhere near the level K’Andre has. K’Andre is giving us more than we could possibly ask for and it’s awesome.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I was someone who thought he would be better served to start in the AHL (had that been an option.) So far looks like I was wrong. Kid was a beast last night and has gotten better every game.

I do think we need to pump the brakes a bit though. Sky is the limit but going to be a lot of highs and lows throughout this season as he continues to grow and tries to incorporate a more aggressive style.

Miller will certainly have some lows like any rookie should, but I think what has impressed me the most is his calmness and confidence.

I believe that is a direct result of him being prepared. He’s a smart kid and he took his training seriously. He said spent a TON of time watching video and learning the finer aspects of the defensive game and positioning so he could react instinctually on the ice and not have to think.

Hearing how he described the NHL game as almost easier in some ways because of the structure and level of players around him speaks volumes.

The USA hockey program has had all of its players use Intelligym which is a computer game training tool to help awareness and decision making on the ice. I’m sure Fox, Lindgren and other have used it too.

I also know that Miller wears a Whoop strap which measures daily strain, recovery and sleep metrics based off of your heart rhythms. Think of it as a Fitbit on steroids. I own one as well and it really helps athletes understand what is going on under the hood and if you are sufficiently recovering.

Point being, this is (recent) 21 year old kid who is already succeeding in preparing himself as pro, and that is only going to accelerate his growth.

MarkMessyay11

Jan 12, 2015
NJ
I just caution everyone here to be willing to stick with this kid when he has the inevitable setback/cold stretch. He has a tantalizing set of tools and his deployment of them this early is amazing and super encouraging.

Wrong thread for this, but when I complain about Kakko, it’s because to my eyes, he hasn’t jumped out and flashed potential (in the NHL) at anywhere near the level K’Andre has. K’Andre is giving us more than we could possibly ask for and it’s awesome.

This is a safe take, and probably the right one. He's bound to have some struggles eventually...the key (especially for a rookie defenseman) is how he handles and bounces back from them. But you're right about the deployment of his skills. IMO the biggest surprise to me has been his poise with the puck. For a kid with zero professional experience coming in to this season, he sure does a great job of reading the play and getting the puck moving up the ice. It's almost unbelievable how easy he makes it look being 4 games into his pro career.

As for Kakko, I'm happy to continue that convo in his thread but I would definitely agree that he really hasn't flashed much potential in the NHL yet, but I do see a difference in his game so far this year. I think he had a much harder time transitioning than most people are willing to give him credit for. After watching his pre-draft highlights over and over, I've come to realize that his game really relied on the extra space afforded to him by the international ice surfaces. He was so dangerous in open ice and was able to use his reach and legs much more effectively. The smaller ice surface, combined with better and stronger overall competition, really hindered him last year. Much of his game also revolves around getting in greasy areas and outworking players. Both of which are hard to do in a more physical league with players who are just as fast and strong, if not faster and stronger, than you are.

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
Miller will certainly have some lows like any rookie should, but I think what has impressed me the most is his calmness and confidence.

I believe that is a direct result of him being prepared. He’s a smart kid and he took his training seriously. He said spent a TON of time watching video and learning the finer aspects of the defensive game and positioning so he could react instinctually on the ice and not have to think.

Hearing how he described the NHL game as almost easier in some ways because of the structure and level of players around him speaks volumes.

The USA hockey program has had all of its players use Intelligym which is a computer game training tool to help awareness and decision making on the ice. I’m sure Fox, Lindgren and other have used it too.

I also know that Miller wears a Whoop strap which measures daily strain, recovery and sleep metrics based off of your heart rhythms. Think of it as a Fitbit on steroids. I own one as well and it really helps athletes understand what is going on under the hood and if you are sufficiently recovering.

Point being, this is (recent) 21 year old kid who is already succeeding in preparing himself as pro, and that is only going to accelerate his growth.

He definitely came ready to play, no doubts there.

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
Miller
Lindgren
Robertson
Jones

It's going to be a couple/few seasons while Robertson and Jones incubate, but the sky is the limit for that left side. One of those two could completely bust, and there would still be all of the potential in the world.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Isles fan coming in peace.

Although most of my opinion is based on Rangers-Isles games and scattered viewings of other games, Miller not only has the second highest potential of your prospects but he may already be the second best in performance thus far.
Oh yeah? Well let me tell you what I think about your team! I think you have a set of solid players and a great coach who will ensure you’re a threat for many years. That’s what I think of you and your evil organization! :)

And thank you for the gracious remarks.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Miller
Lindgren
Robertson
Jones

It's going to be a couple/few seasons while Robertson and Jones incubate, but the sky is the limit for that left side. One of those two could completely bust, and there would still be all of the potential in the world.

Couple that with a right side of Fox, Trouba, Lundkvist, DeAngelo, Schneider and we have the makings of one of the best bluelines in the league in a few years.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Hey guys the Miller vs. Romanov thread on the main boards got closed because of lopsided results. The thread should have just been Any Canadians prospect vs. Miller.
Romanov is special. Doesn't take away from Miller's promising future.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3