Prospect Info: K'Andre Miller (D) - Part IV

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Huh? Are you saying Fox isn't a Top 4 player? He's the best one in the group at the present moment...
no. Fox is a top4 player, that should be evident.

You win with big and mobile defenseman that can move the puck. Fox doesn't fit in that category but he's sprinkled in among those big, mobile pmd. He's an exception and his talent is magnified, if he's surrounded by players like K'andre the Giant.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
I think we need a bigger sample size before we go crazy, but I’ll gladly take the crowdités for an appetizer.

I was pretty confident he would struggle in the AHL this season. I saw plenty of him the past two years and while I loved the package, I still saw him as incredibly raw. I thought part of it was the system he was in, but it wasn’t the entire story. I’m an eternal pessimist when it comes to the Rangers (for plenty of obvious reasons), but I’m usually not off the mark this much on a prospect. Glad to be proven wrong.

He’s been real real good. Love when he grabs the puck, takes it behind his own net and just blows by everyone to rush the puck up the ice. Thing of beauty.

I still don’t expect a big scoring defenseman in the NHL. But a 35-40 point guy with amazing defense is far more intriguing from my point of view.

Last edited:

The Sweetness

Jul 15, 2010
Stockholm
Adrenaline doesn't make you play as well as he has. If you're a 4th liner whose entire responsibility is to bring energy then sure. But not actually paying like a good defenseman.
Maybe this is more semantics but what I mean is that getting focused for 4-5 games is way easier than maintaining a high level over the course of a longer period of time.

I’m not referring to the adrenaline of a 30 second shift but rather getting dialed in for what is basically one week.

Whatever you want to call it, I think it’s incredibly premature to call Miller a 1st pairing defenseman based on these first few games.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Just thought about how awful Chara was early in his career. Big and lanky. Didn't really know how to use his size/reach.
He figured it out and had a great career. His size/strength/reach were his greatest attributes. Miller, while not as tall, has an incredible reach, is a better skater/athlete. Let's hope the kid learns how to best take advantage of his physical attributes. If he does, the sky is the limit.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Maybe this is more semantics but what I mean is that getting focused for 4-5 games is way easier than maintaining a high level over the course of a longer period of time.

I’m not referring to the adrenaline of a 30 second shift but rather getting dialed in for what is basically one week.

Whatever you want to call it, I think it’s incredibly premature to call Miller a 1st pairing defenseman based on these first few games.

Rangers fans haven't had much success on the ice the last few years. Why does it bother you that people are excited about a prospect?

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I did not realize he had this type of vision.

What's his weakness? He reminds me of when I was younger, when I played NHL 10. Create a player... 99. 99.. 99. 99. 99. .

I'm honestly more excited right now for him, than Laf and Kakko. I really hope he changes his number.

His biggest flaw is his ability to make reads, followed up by his sometimes questionable decision making. He loves to jump up in the play and he loves to pinch in the neutral zone. He's been caught in both situations a number of times this year. Once he learns to play within his means, he could be a monster. He has all the physical attributes you could ever want. None of this "great skater for a big man" or "surprisingly agile for his size" stuff. He's just a tremendous athlete in a huge frame. He's only limited by his ability to learn and process the game in front of him.

He may never be a #1PP option but he's the kind of player that can play all other situations and dominate.

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
His biggest flaw is his ability to make reads, followed up by his sometimes questionable decision making. He loves to jump up in the play and he loves to pinch in the neutral zone. He's been caught in both situations a number of times this year. Once he learns to play within his means, he could be a monster. He has all the physical attributes you could ever want. None of this "great skater for a big man" or "surprisingly agile for his size" stuff. He's just a tremendous athlete in a huge frame. He's only limited by his ability to learn and process the game in front of him.

He may never be a #1PP option but he's the kind of player that can play all other situations and dominate.
The reads I've seen him make are great. He processes the game at a really high level.. albeit it's been less than a handful of games

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
The reads I've seen him make are great. He processes the game at a really high level.. albeit it's been less than a handful of games

He's done much better the last few games. However there were a number of plays early on where he'd pinch in the neutral zone and get caught behind the play or leave his partner out to dry. Certainly something that can be worked on and based on the improvement over the last few games it's clearly something that the team is coaching him on.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
He's done much better the last few games. However there were a number of plays early on where he'd pinch in the neutral zone and get caught behind the play or leave his partner out to dry. Certainly something that can be worked on and based on the improvement over the last few games it's clearly something that the team is coaching him on.
Decision making comes with experience. At least he can process the ice and make reads from what limited gameplay I've seen. I'd rather him be too aggressive to start, than too passive.

It's still early but he's got me more excited than all the other kids.

The Sweetness

Jul 15, 2010
Stockholm
Rangers fans haven't had much success on the ice the last few years. Why does it bother you that people are excited about a prospect?
I’m a Rangers fan. I just think it’s way too early to say Miller is a 1st pairing defender after a handful of games.

I’d be thrilled if he does end up as a 1st pairing D though. Tbh I’d be happy if he ends up as a solid top-4 D given where he was drafted.

I’m just preaching patience. A season is a long time but I’ve been around long enough to see players form take significant changes from one season to another to know that a few games means little. Especially in a season with no preseason.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Based on reports of their list, it would’ve been Lundell at 11. If someone leap frogged them, it likely would’ve been a toss-up between Guhle and
Schneider.

Yeah, Lundell was the other 50 I was referring to, and it’s obvious that forward (center) would be a priority. Just referring to the fact that Schneider was very highly valued by the Rangers to the point there’d be a discussion.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
We probably won't know what Miller's true potential is until he's 23-24 years old.

What amazing is that he's come in and essentially made Hajek an afterthought after what was a consensus disappointing sophomore year in the NCAA

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
We probably won't know what Miller's true potential is until he's 23-24 years old.

What amazing is that he's come in and essentially made Hajek an afterthought after what was a consensus disappointing sophomore year in the NCAA

He gave a very intelligent reason why he prefers the NHL.

gump116

Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
New York
Miller Trouba
Lindgren Fox
Robertson DeAngelo
Jones Lundqvist
Hajek Schneider

Quibble with these rankings all you want, but who in the league can even sniff that organizational depth?
It’s amazing how quickly things change. Our right side now is stacked and we’re looking a little shaky on the left. Couple years ago was the complete opposite

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
i think Hajek was doing just fine establishing himself as an after thought well before Miller.
Yeah, the kid got scratched when he was in the Czech League earlier this year, and that league has declined in quality pretty precipitously. If you can't play in that league you're not going to be able to succeed in the AHL, let alone the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad