Prospect Info: K'Andre Miller (D) - Part IV

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Him being nasty.

It's the one thing I think he doesn't have but nobody's perfect.
I never said it was.

I was responding to your comment "The one thing I'd still like to see is a little nasty side." by saying it might be unlikely he has that. Didn't say it was a bad thing or necessary.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Virgil van Dijk started out as a forward, like Miller. That's probably the most interesting part I take away from this comparison.

I remember him with FC Groningen where they used him as an extra striker sometimes. It's amazing how Ajax, PSV or Feyenoord were never able to land him but he instead decided to go to Celtic
Well there you go!

Needless to say, I'm very excited about K'Andre. You see the athleticism, obviously, but I also see a sharp mind to match and a lot of confidence.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I never said it was.

I was responding to your comment "The one thing I'd still like to see is a little nasty side." by saying it might be unlikely he has that. Didn't say it was a bad thing or necessary.
So are we fighting now?

This reminds me of that scene from 61*

Mickey Mantle : "Roger, are we feuding?"

Roger Maris : "They said so on the TV, it must be true."

Mickey Mantle : "Well, f*** you then."

Roger Maris : "Up yours."

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Virgil van Dijk started out as a forward, like Miller. That's probably the most interesting part I take away from this comparison.

I remember him with FC Groningen where they used him as an extra striker sometimes. It's amazing how Ajax, PSV or Feyenoord were never able to land him but he instead decided to go to Celtic
ajax and psv just didnt seem to rate him for whatever reason. celtic was able to swoop in and get him. ive heard he started taking football a lot more seriously at the end of his stay with groningen.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
ajax and psv just didnt seem to rate him for whatever reason. celtic was able to swoop in and get him. ive heard he started taking football a lot more seriously at the end of his stay with groningen.

He was part of the Ajax academy for many years but they let him go because he simply didn't put in the effort. He moved to Willem II, a mediocre team at best at the time and after a year Groningen picked him up. It still took him a few years to "get it" so to speak.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
So are we fighting now?

This reminds me of that scene from 61*

Mickey Mantle : "Roger, are we feuding?"

Roger Maris : "They said so on the TV, it must be true."

Mickey Mantle : "Well, f*** you then."

Roger Maris : "Up yours."
Lmao, I didn't think we were, I got confused if it turned into a debate but neither of us were really arguing anything against the other :laugh:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I think it's a silly argument. There are some people in this world that are very mobile despite their size. Look at NBA players.

I could be wrong, but I don't think they could match someone much shorter with elite "agility" in agility tests.

This is a typical agility test (I appologize for how ugly it looks! ;)), called something like the cross, that I think is illustrative for a hockey player. It can be done both on the ice and on skates. On skates its performed in a FO circle,. The player must always keep his face turned towards "north". I.e., you skate forward from the bottom of the FO circle to the FO dot, then you skate sideways to the left side of the circle, sideways back to the FO dot, forward up to the top part of the circle, backwards back to the central dot, sideways back and forth to the right side of the FO circle, and backwards back to the starting point and its done. I would say that it is physically impossible for a Chara to compete with like a Tony DeAngelo in this exercise. And the moving pattern is pretty genuine to how you have to be able to move in hockey.

upload_2021-1-18_13-36-34.png

I like to bring in the law of physics into these topics, because I think its one of those areas in which you easily can be fooled by eye observations. Today's players are a lot closer maxing out their abilities than 30 years ago. Hence hockey is becoming more comparable with say Track and Field and Gymnastics in terms to law of physics starting to really limit performance.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I think Ola's right about this but not exactly labeling it in ways people are listening to.
Even the most talented basketball players standing 6'5+ aren't really the guys who are going to be darting around the court the way a smaller player is. They are remarkably talented and mobile, I'm sure they'd school any of us, but there are certain elements of quickness that a smaller player is going to have an advantage with. I think calling someone "mobile or not" isn't quite the word most of us would use...I think of Miller as mobile because he is a good skater, he moves up and down the ice fast, he even moves laterally well and changes direction well (something a guy like McIlrath always struggled with a bit as his hips were "stiff" so his pivots weren't great), but compared to someone like Quinn Hughes Miller is going to look slower at some of that stuff.
I honestly don't think it's worth harping on though other than noting that he's not a player that's going to "dart around" the ice. He does move very well though and that's not what is going to potentially hold him back at the NHL level.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I think Ola's right about this but not exactly labeling it in ways people are listening to.
Even the most talented basketball players standing 6'5+ aren't really the guys who are going to be darting around the court the way a smaller player is. They are remarkably talented and mobile, I'm sure they'd school any of us, but there are certain elements of quickness that a smaller player is going to have an advantage with. I think calling someone "mobile or not" isn't quite the word most of us would use...I think of Miller as mobile because he is a good skater, he moves up and down the ice fast, he even moves laterally well and changes direction well (something a guy like McIlrath always struggled with a bit as his hips were "stiff" so his pivots weren't great), but compared to someone like Quinn Hughes Miller is going to look slower at some of that stuff.
I honestly don't think it's worth harping on though other than noting that he's not a player that's going to "dart around" the ice. He does move very well though and that's not what is going to potentially hold him back at the NHL level.

Exactly!

And I don’t think it ever will hurt him unless there is some sort of breakdown. My point is more like, if you are 6’5 you benefit in some situations due to your reach, but there will also be situations were you quite cannot get back into the right position as fast as smaller quicker Ds.

Nothing wrong with Miller’s skating at all, it’s great for his size. My point is just, there will be some situations that don’t have great looks from time to time. And they will eventually get better. But these things take time.

Reactions: we want cup

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019

gorgeous image - you could be the next Van Gogh. Can cash in a fortune if you hang on for 100 more years

by then i still believe a Jack Hughes will more naturally demonstrate better agility and change of direction when compared to a Miller.

on to Jersey!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Ola

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
First game was just not good, but he really bounced back in game 2. The whole team did, but he just looked that much more confident in himself.

This wasn't far off from how Fox was in game 1 last year. He looked lost at times, but made some absolutely fantastic plays based on his skill and IQ.

I'd expect Miller to get more confidence from here on out. He's going to realize that his skating is better than most and will use that to his advantage packaged with his size. Hopefully by the end of the season, he's going to look like someone other teams will look to avoid on the rush. I think he'll be back with Trouba by game 15-20 and not look back.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I might have been Key's biggest cheerleader on here, and he has exceeded my expectations both in terms of usage and performance. Very pleased so far. Very excited for what's to come--again, this is a guy who is barely 21 and has only played the position for four years full time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->