• Vasili Podkolzin

• Bowen Byram

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
Please for the love of God, neither of the WHL kids.

History shows us that highly drafted forwards from the W just don't pan out like highly drafted forwards from the Q or O.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Would you guys move the 1stOV for Buffalo's 3 1st rd picks? Would a fourth one be needed? :)

Would the chance at 3 assets be worth giving up Hughes or Kakko?

Unfortunately St Louis has really stormed up the standings.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Would you guys move the 1stOV for Buffalo's 3 1st rd picks? Would a fourth one be needed? :)

No. This team needs quality over quantity and the draft is a bit of a toss up after 10ish.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton

History shows us that highly drafted forwards from the W just don't pan out like highly drafted forwards from the Q or O.

Top 5 forward picks from the WHL since 2009 (10 years): Evander Kane, Brayden Schenn, Ryan Johansen, Nino Neidereiter, RNH, Sam Reinhart, Leon Draisaitl, Nolan Patrick.

All pretty solid for top5 picks.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Show me a scouting service or media member that has Kakko over Hughes.
As usual, the "appeal to authority" with zero actual analysis. The only thing people seem to use to put Hughes over Kakko nowadays.

Here you go, read this:
Florida Panthers: 2019 NHL Draft Prospect Rankings

I take Hughes. People say Kakko is big and fills the net, sure, sounds like Puli to me. Can never have too many centerman.
This is the other thing. Now, let's assume that Kakko actually is more likely to become a C at the NHL level and Hughes, and then try this again. Rather than Pulju, you could instead have easily said "sounds like Matthews" - at least Kakko can actually stickhandle.

Last edited:

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I'm leaning Kakko over Hughes but would be happy with either. I think the biggest thing I still have to sort out is who is the better line driver. That is what this team severely lacks. We want whichever one of these guys would look better with Draisaitl, because McDavid can play with anyone.

We literally have Drai, McDavid, and RNH.

We need guys that can keep up with them, period. We dont need "line drivers." You guys have this weird idea that other elite players dont require good players to be successful. But like... Rantanen plays with MacKinnon and Landeskog. Kucherov plays with Stamkos and Point. Kane plays with Toews. Marchand plays with Bergeron and Pasta. Marner plays with Tavares. Matthews plays with the press in the press box. Ovi plays with Kuzi and Wislon.

We dont need line drivers, we need real top 6 forwards, period. We have 3 line drivers. We only need two, realistically. What we need is line supporters. Guys who can find open ice with one of our centers and make plays with the puck that are good enough to get our centers open ice. Guys who can one shot score.

We have zero finish... Sam Gagner is our 4th best forward FFS.

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
This is so sad! After 2017 I thought I wouldn't have to follow the draft for a while

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

Right now, that’s 15, 17, 29.

Would you trade McDavid for Senyshyn, Connor, and Carlsson?

Would Toronto trade Matthews for Kunin, Fabbro, and Frederic?

Would Colorado trade MacKinnon for Pulock, Lazar, and Dickinson?

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006

How about Krebs who isn't listed say past #5 or so? Although this team appears to be playing for a top 3 pick today.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016

No. This team needs quality over quantity and the draft is a bit of a toss up after 10ish.

Maybe 3 1st rd picks isn't enough. You could add another superstar and we'd still have shit depth. With 3 or 4 1st rd picks it could be more beneficial than adding one superstar.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Really, Kakko by a hair. But practically, Hughes, as all things being equal, his North Americaness is the deciding factor.

Reactions: Aerrol

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
We literally have Drai, McDavid, and RNH.

We need guys that can keep up with them, period. We dont need "line drivers." You guys have this weird idea that other elite players dont require good players to be successful. But like... Rantanen plays with MacKinnon and Landeskog. Kucherov plays with Stamkos and Point. Kane plays with Toews. Marchand plays with Bergeron and Pasta. Marner plays with Tavares. Matthews plays with the press in the press box. Ovi plays with Kuzi and Wislon.

We dont need line drivers, we need real top 6 forwards, period. We have 3 line drivers. We only need two, realistically. What we need is line supporters. Guys who can find open ice with one of our centers and make plays with the puck that are good enough to get our centers open ice. Guys who can one shot score.

We have zero finish... Sam Gagner is our 4th best forward FFS.

We have one line driver...

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
As usual, the "appeal to authority" with zero actual analysis. The only thing people seem to use to put Hughes over Kakko nowadays.

Here you go, read this:
Florida Panthers: 2019 NHL Draft Prospect Rankings

This is the other thing. Now, let's assume that Kakko actually is more likely to become a C at the NHL level and Hughes, and then try this again. Rather than Pulju, you could instead have easily said "sounds like Matthews" - at least Kakko can actually stickhandle.
Are you saying Hughes can’t stickhandle? Are you comparing Puli to Matthews? I have nothing against Kakko but I take Hughes. Hughes is easily the faster guy, speed kills and can’t be taught.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Are you saying Hughes can’t stickhandle? Are you comparing Puli to Matthews? I have nothing against Kakko but I take Hughes. Hughes is easily the faster guy, speed kills and can’t be taught.

Kakko to Matthews, and atleast Kakko can stickhandle vs Pulju( I would guess).

Quinteoilers

Jan 7, 2012

What about Oilers 1st OV to Van for EP and Vans 1st this year?

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I voted Hughes intentionally, but I want Kakko. 2nd overall will hopefully pay is the equivalent of a 2nd rounder to move down a spot.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3

I think that is a bit of an oversimplification.

Would you trade Yakupov for Ceci, Hertl and Matteau?

Would you trade Hischier for Brannstrom, Liljegren and Jokiharju?

Would you trade Ekblad for Larkin, Sanehim and Kempe?

My point being that it depends on the draft and how good your scouts are. There are a lot of great players passed over that teams could have had and I don't see Hughes being as good as McDavid/Matthews. I would argue that this team already has star power at the forward position and needs more depth. IMO, having three 1st round picks does that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad