• Dylan Cozens

• Vasili Podkolzin

• Bowen Byram

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Hughes all day. He's been the consensus #1 pick since he was 15. It would be a mistake not to take him.

Start him on wing, move RNH to wing, keep Drai on wing.. lots of options there. You don't have to take Kakko just because he's a winger.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Hughes is too small to play center in the NHL so that's moot tbh.

It's RW vs RW. (I think Hughes will play RW since he loves to make plays from the right side and usually attacks from the right side)
Brayden Point is 5'10 and doing just fine at center.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
Actually Kakko has played some center too. He played a number of games at C in Liiga earlier this year. So he could be a C as well. Not that it really matters for the Oilers though as we're stacked there.

Btw people think Hughes is skilled and has great hands, but Kakko is no slouch in that area either:

He has everything you want in a modern day NHL player. Hughes may be slightly better in some areas, but he doesn't have the size, shot or goalscoring abilities (like going to the net and scoring dirty goals, or just being able to power himself to the net from the boards to create scoring chances) that Kakko does.

He reminded me of Matthews on that play

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

The stick check in the neutral zone and the icy cold finish.

The changing of angles until he finds that cross-seam pass, then he's immediately ready to get it back to one-time it and does so beautifully.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Kakko, I think he’s better. Would only pick Hughes because he’s a centre, which isn’t a priority here.
I'll say this again and again, Kakko's more likely to C in NHL than Hughes.

Playstyle? Perfect fit for C. Size? No issues. Experience? He's played a decent amount of C this season, certainly more than Kotkaniemi last season and he's doing quite fine.

Hughes, on the other hand? He's like Marner, Gaudreau, Kane etc. and NHL has no 1Cs like those. I think he's less likely to be C than Kakko so it's pretty annoying to see bolded as an argument.

Overall, Patrick Kane could be the closest comparable to Hughes. However, Hughes does not have anything close to Kane's shot and as such, I don't see him getting to a similar level. I genuinely don't think Hughes has a measurable advantage over Kane in IQ, hands or skating.

Auston Matthews could be a good comparable for Kakko. However, Kakko's more physical and "mean". Matthews could have a better shot, though. Still, Kakko's goal-scoring has been very impressive this season.
Brayden Point is 5'10 and doing just fine at center.
So is Bryan Little but they don't play this sort of a style. Hughes will not play like Point.

Last edited:

McJesusSaves97

I see the light
May 17, 2015
Cowtown: Behind Enemy Lines
Would be thrilled to get either, but Kakko is exactly what we need...a better version of what we hoped Pulju would/could be. A big strong elite finnisher to play in our top 6 please. Although Hughes is the safer pick for obvious reasons...

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I'm leaning Kakko over Hughes but would be happy with either. I think the biggest thing I still have to sort out is who is the better line driver. That is what this team severely lacks. We want whichever one of these guys would look better with Draisaitl, because McDavid can play with anyone.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

noice

Born in YEG Oiler fan in YYC :/
Feb 12, 2007
Calgary, AB
Screenshot_20190218-094634.png
DREAM TEAM ABOVE LOL
Kaako to play with Pool Party then trade Luc or whatevr to MTL for Kotkaniemi xD Finn Mafia be like when we had a Czech Mafia xD

Last edited:

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I guess so if your trying to tell me the 2 are equal.

Yeah you have absolutely no qualifications on this matter to act like you know more than me on this subject, so get off your high horse. If you think Hughes is better, that is fine, and we are all up for debate. Don't condescend to those of us who are doing our research and think Kakko might be better.

Reactions: Aerrol

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Yeah you have absolutely no qualifications on this matter to act like you know more than me on this subject, so get off your high horse. If you think Hughes is better, that is fine, and we are all up for debate. Don't condescend to those of us who are doing our research and think Kakko might be better.

Yup I do sorry

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I had so much confidence in this team this year that I haven’t watched any of the top prospects play. I’ll go with Hughes just because he’s been the consensus #1 all year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad