• Dylan Cozens

• Vasili Podkolzin

• Bowen Byram

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Show me a scouting service or media member that has Kakko over Hughes.

You mean the same scouts and media members who thought Yak was a 1st overall pick and hailed as the next Pavel Bure? Or the guys who had Puljujärvi as a consensus #3 pick with a sizeable gap between him and the next guy?

Reactions: Aerrol and Homesick

HuMz

Jan 30, 2005
Calgary, Canada
Whoever has the stronger mental character and is less likely to see themselves as a victim of circumstance. This team needs players who are going to do whatever it takes to be the best player they can be, instead of looking outside of themselves when obstacles are placed in their way, or the going gets tough.

And until this team starts evaluating potential players on the basis of their mental strength, they can expect the same draft results and player development that they've been plagued with.

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Im fully on the Kakko at #1 train.

But imagine if we got Jack Hughes. The Jack vs Quinn rivalry would be huge with us and Vancouver.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Im fully on the Kakko at #1 train.

But imagine if we got Jack Hughes. The Jack vs Quinn rivalry would be huge with us and Vancouver.
I wonder if Vancouver would consider a trade to reunite the brothers?
even though it would be an inter division trade, the Canucks should really try their best to make it happen.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
Very very close but it's Kakko.

6'4 207, great speed and acceleration, amazing edges and hands, great vision and playmaking, beautiful shot, good 2 way player. This guy is the complete package, big + strong and good in his own zone, but dynamic and a force in the offensive zone.

However, I think the Oilers would take Hughes 1st. Less bust potential in our org and he's a lot more dynamic offensively. With the puck on his stick Hughes is a magician, but his shot's a muffin and he's very small/ineffective defensively.

It's basically Marner vs Rantanen.

Kakko's size and all around game gives him the slight advantage imo. Voted Kakko, wouldn't be upset if we took Hughes #1.
How many times do you have to be told he’s not 6’4?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
This really looks a like the Mathews/Laine draft. Two studs at the top, bringing different skill sets but both great players.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
I take Hughes. People say Kakko is big and fills the net, sure, sounds like Puli to me. Can never have too many centerman. Leave McD and Draisaitl together and have Hughes center Nuge, Nuge produces better on the wing anyway

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
even though it would be an inter division trade, the Canucks should really try their best to make it happen.
If Boeser + is coming back, makes sense.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
If it isn't something like Lucic + the pick for Boeser + Gaudette, I don't want any part in it.

Reactions: McDrai

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Besides Klefbom, who have the Oilers brought over from Europe that had a successful career? With that reasoning I go with Hughes every time.

With Finns 2013 was the draft that marked the change, pre Barkov the development of star/quality players to NHL was embarrassing and we were living dark times, post Barkov we've seen Barkov/Ristolainen, Rantanen/Aho, Laine, Heiskanen, Kotkaniemi rise to the NHL.

They made a change from everyone has the right to play to skill focused training.
Finland can produce high end talent pretty well these days and Kakko is the opposite type of player to Pulju.

I take Hughes. People say Kakko is big and fills the net, sure, sounds like Puli to me. Can never have too many centerman. Leave McD and Draisaitl together and have Hughes center Nuge, Nuge produces better on the wing anyway

Rantanen, and again Kakko plays C here and there as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zaddy

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
Which one of Hughes Kakko is a goal scorer, we don’t need any more play makers I want I guy that wants to shoot the pick and not pass it all the time or tries to be too fancy.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Which one of Hughes Kakko is a goal scorer, we don’t need any more play makers I want I guy that wants to shoot the pick and not pass it all the time or tries to be too fancy.
From a quick glance at their stats, I'd say Kakko is definitely the goal scorer between the 2. He has 16 goals (29 pts) in 35 games. Laine had 17 goals (33 pts) in 46 games in the same league at the same age.

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
Kakko looks good, but it's tough to peg how well he'll develop in the Oilers organization. This organization struggles to develop players from over seas. Every profile I see of Kakko says he's either 6'1" or 6'2"... not the 6'4" that has been mentioned.

I'd go Hughes just to be safe. Smaller players seem to do very well in the newer NHL. Plus he's a North American and knows the culture and language. There'll be no culture shock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->