• Bowen Byram

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

McKappa

philip bruhberg
Oct 16, 2011
Edmonton
Trade the pick for proven player and cap dumps . No one is taking Lucic so forget that unless it is in a bigger package .

Think 3 or 4 short term dumps . A rebuilding team can handle taking them on and we get value back

1st or 2nd OA + Manning , Benning , Kassian , 2nd 2021 , Bear to NYR for Kreider+Zibanejab .

Benson McDavid Draisaitl
Kreider RNH Puljujarvi
Khaira Zibanejab Yamamoto

Not saying it has to be these lines but you go from a 1 line team to a 3 line team

Thank god you aren't our GM

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Hughes does not have a frame to be like Crosby. I'd like to remind you that I've not argued who's better, Kakko or Hughes, nor can i argue because I've only seen Hughes in the few WJC games he played in. That's not enough to make any comparisons.
Hughes was injured pre-tournament and it’s reported he tweaked the injury in the first game of the tournament. Still he had 4 points in 4 games, Kakko 5 in 7 games. Not a big sample size for either of them. If you google Hughes you’ll find he’s dominated at every level and his biggest comparison is Patrick Kane. How’s Kane doing this year? How many Cups has he contributed to? By the same token I’ve googled Kakko and find he’s usually compared with Laine. How’s he doing lately? No guarantee these comparisons are going to decide either guys future but pre-draft this is what people are saying.. I take Hughes, you take Kakko, so be it

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Hughes was injured pre-tournament and it’s reported he tweaked the injury in the first game of the tournament. Still he had 4 points in 4 games, Kakko 5 in 7 games. Not a big sample size for either of them. If you google Hughes you’ll find he’s dominated at every level and his biggest comparison is Patrick Kane. How’s Kane doing this year? How many Cups has he contributed to? By the same token I’ve googled Kakko and find he’s usually compared with Laine. How’s he doing lately? No guarantee these comparisons are going to decide either guys future but pre-draft this is what people are saying.. I take Hughes, you take Kakko, so be it
Where have i said that I'd take Kakko before Hughes? I can't even make that call because, as i just told you, I have not seen Hughes play enough to draw my own conclusions. The rest of your text is so absurd that i'll do you a favor and act like you never typed that.

I actually have no idea why I'm still responding to you, since you're just ignoring what I'm saying and making up your own stuff.

Last edited:

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Where have i said that I'd take Kakko before Hughes? I can't even make that call because, as i just told you, I have not seen Hughes play enough to draw my own conclusions.

I actually have no idea why I'm still responding to you, since you're just ignoring what I'm saying and making up your own stuff.
I was going by your name, avatar and argument. Seems logical

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Wow, the level of discussion in here is brutal. Just a lot of "NO HUGHES IS BETTER CUZ HE WAS CONSENSUS!!!" What a terrible argument. Talk about what they're actually doing. Both look like amazing prospects trending to be NHL Stars.

For my part, I think it's really close. I think as quality of prospects, Hughes is slightly better overall given his hockey IQ, skating, and puckhandling - and definitely the better bet for us to develop because he's not a European player with poor English. However, I think Kakko fits much better with our needs - size, goal-scoring, physicality - and has the potential to be as good or better than Hughes to boot.

At the end of the day, I think I vote Kakko just out of ideal outcome rather than my pessimistic outlook on how the Oilers ruin everything they touch, especially Europeans with poor English. Kakko definitely isn't nearly as much of a project as Pulju was on draft day, and I am a lot more confident in him panning out regardless of circumstances than I was either Pulju or Laine. He has better hands, hockey sense, shot, passing than Pulju did as a draftee, and he's got better skating, defensive effort and physicality than Laine. I'd probably be a little concerned if we actually drafted him over Hughes though.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Wow, the level of discussion in here is brutal. Just a lot of "NO HUGHES IS BETTER CUZ HE WAS CONSENSUS!!!" What a terrible argument. Talk about what they're actually doing. Both look like amazing prospects trending to be NHL Stars.

For my part, I think it's really close. I think as quality of prospects, Hughes is slightly better overall given his hockey IQ, skating, and puckhandling - and definitely the better bet for us to develop because he's not a European player with poor English. However, I think Kakko fits much better with our needs - size, goal-scoring, physicality - and has the potential to be as good or better than Hughes to boot.

At the end of the day, I think I vote Kakko just out of ideal outcome rather than my pessimistic outlook on how the Oilers ruin everything they touch, especially Europeans with poor English. Kakko definitely isn't nearly as much of a project as Pulju was on draft day, and I am a lot more confident in him panning out regardless of circumstances than I was either Pulju or Laine. He has better hands, hockey sense, shot, passing than Pulju did as a draftee, and he's got better skating, defensive effort and physicality than Laine. I'd probably be a little concerned if we actually drafted him over Hughes though.
This

skuzzycuzz

Jan 7, 2012
I’m not a Nuge lover but going back 8 years does nothing going forward
I mean I don’t hate him, obviously he is a good player. I just personally felt at the time Landeskog had more qualities that the team needed, oilers went with skill as they always do and it doesn’t work.

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
I'd be happy with either as both are really good players but voted for Kakko due to his goal scoring potential and size.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017

Well said. I agree completely.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
you Draft Kakko,

Trade 2020 1st and 2019 2nd to Arizona for OEL

get rid of Russell

Sekera to the third pairing

OEL-Nurse on the second pairing
Klef and Larsson first pairing

Bouchard - Sekera on the third pairing

let go of Benning

Make a run at Athanasiou

Dzingel preferable

make a run at Armia

3rd and 4th lines depends on the teams they play go back and forth

upload_2019-2-20_12-36-46.png

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
you Draft Kakko,

Trade 2020 1st and 2019 2nd to Arizona for OEL

get rid of Russell

Sekera to the third pairing

OEL-Nurse on the second pairing
Klef and Larsson first pairing

Bouchard - Sekera on the third pairing

let go of Benning

Make a run at Athanasiou

Dzingel preferable

make a run at Armia

3rd and 4th lines depends on the teams they play go back and forth

View attachment 189231
1. Arizona would never accept that
2. OEL would be our 1d and play on the top pair
3. Kakko is a RW
4. Armia plays only RW, not Center
5. Marody is a center, Benson is a Lw

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
1. Arizona would never accept that
2. OEL would be our 1d and play on the top pair
3. Kakko is a RW
4. Armia plays only RW, not Center
5. Marody is a center, Benson is a Lw

Nurse needs to be sheltered a bit with a good defenseman, OEL , balances the pairing out immensely.

I didnt put these up in any order all you would do is switch around Marody and Benson

switch Kakko and Pul for now see how the finns learn and feed of one another centered by a solid Player. Kakko has an insanely high hockey IQ- imperative.

Once Kakko starts to gain steam throw him up with Connor , drop Leon to RNH's line.

McDavid - Kakko
Leon- RNH

Pretty tough to stop

doesn't hurt to offer a perennial bottom feeder a chance at 2 top picks and a nice throw in like Yamamoto and perhaps even Seth Jones

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
36G, 44G, and on pace for 35 goals this season. I'd pencil him in the line up....... :whatever:

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
36G, 44G, and on pace for 35 goals this season. I'd pencil him in the line up....... :whatever:
I used the word lately, and lately he hasn’t scored in 37 days. He’s terrible defensively and if he isn’t scoring, he’s useless

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I used the word lately, and lately he hasn’t scored in 37 days. He’s terrible defensively and if he isn’t scoring, he’s useless

He's also a terrible comparable for Kakko other than the fact that he was a phenomenal Finnish prospect back in the day.

Reactions: FinnishSniper

ijuka

May 14, 2016
So Hughes is incapable of building muscle? Gotcha. I get you love the Finns but if Kakko and his size are all the rage I’ll remind you that the NHL is full of big guys that can hit. None of them are Finns either
You know what the NHL is not full of? Small 1Cs that play like Hughes. Every player like that is a winger.

Hughes's comparable is Patrick Kane, except for one thing - His shot is a muffin, while Kane's is fantastic. I don't see him becoming a player at the same level as Patrick Kane because of that. Also, there are no centers like Hughes in NHL. Every comparable, including Patrick Kane is a winger.

Patrik Laine is not a comparable for Kaapo Kakko. It's a typical, lazy NA media comparable for a Finnish player. "They're the same nationality, must be similar players". The most accurate comparable is most likely Auston Matthews. However, there are some differences. Kakko's significantly more physical, while Matthews has a better shot and release. Although, Kakko's really stepped his scoring up lately with 9 goals in last 10 games, so who even knows? Kakko's the most complete prospect to come out of Finland and he has no weaknesses or question marks in his game, which hasn't been the case for anyone in the past. If we compare him to Barkov, his skating is a lot better while it was a question mark for Barkov, as an example.

Last edited:

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
First off OEL sucks. Exaggerating of course but he is a terrible #1 defenseman. I think he is more of a top 3 guy who excells in an offensive role. I don't understand this boards fascination with this player. He doesn't even fit on the Oilers that well either, being a left shooting guy.

However Arizona is an interesting trade partner because they can take a bad contract.

Say the Oilers do win the #1OA pick. I don't follow Arizona prospects much but would something like...

1 OA + Lucic + Manning

For

Barrett Hayton + Arizona 3rd round pick.

Hayton looks promising to me and freeing up 8 mill in cap space could be used to make further moves to improve the team.

Maybe take a run at Stone.

A pipe dream forward roster for next year.

Maroon McDavid Draisaitl
*McLeod RNH Stone
Kharia Hayton *Gagner/Puljujarvi
*Benson Brodziach Kassian

* These spots are interchangeable with many cheap options.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille