Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
No vote. This pick and cap space gets traded for NHL depth(not magic beans).

I do not want to hear "The Edmonton Oilers are "proud" to select......" for the next decade.
Detroit might be a player if the Oilers have 1st OA.

Reactions: McSuper

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I think that is a bit of an oversimplification.

Would you trade Yakupov for Ceci, Hertl and Matteau?

Would you trade Hischier for Brannstrom, Liljegren and Jokiharju?

Would you trade Ekblad for Larkin, Sanehim and Kempe?

My point being that it depends on the draft and how good your scouts are. There are a lot of great players passed over that teams could have had and I don't see Hughes being as good as McDavid/Matthews. I would argue that this team already has star power at the forward position and needs more depth. IMO, having three 1st round picks does that.

The only one I’d definitely say yes to is Yak, and that’s only because he turned into a bust. Unless you’re assuming Hughes is a bust, it’s a bad move.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Trade the pick for proven player and cap dumps . No one is taking Lucic so forget that unless it is in a bigger package .

Think 3 or 4 short term dumps . A rebuilding team can handle taking them on and we get value back

1st or 2nd OA + Manning , Benning , Kassian , 2nd 2021 , Bear to NYR for Kreider+Zibanejab .

Benson McDavid Draisaitl
Kreider RNH Puljujarvi
Khaira Zibanejab Yamamoto

Not saying it has to be these lines but you go from a 1 line team to a 3 line team

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
The only one I’d definitely say yes to is Yak, and that’s only because he turned into a bust. Unless you’re assuming Hughes is a bust, it’s a bad move.

I guess agree to disagree. It's nice to add a superstar but we lack depth so badly that I would definitely consider trading quality for quantity. If our drafting is good, we wouldn't be adding a Senyshyn, Connor and Carlsson. We could be adding a Barzal, Boeser and Aho. A second line of Aho-Barzal-Boeser would be better than Garbage-Eichel-Garbage. Not to mention we get 3 guys making entry level money for a combined total equal to what that #2 pick would get.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Trade the pick for proven player and cap dumps . No one is taking Lucic so forget that unless it is in a bigger package .

Think 3 or 4 short term dumps . A rebuilding team can handle taking them on and we get value back

1st or 2nd OA + Manning , Benning , Kassian , 2nd 2021 , Bear to NYR for Kreider+Zibanejab .

Benson McDavid Draisaitl
Kreider RNH Puljujarvi

Not saying it has to be these lines but you go from a 1 line team to a 3 line team

Were not going to trade a guy like Hughes or Kakko to get rid of Lucic...geez Worst case scenario he'll likely get a compliance buyout next cba.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba

Benson McDavid Draisaitl
Kreider RNH Puljujarvi

I think Hughes will come into the league and allready be better than those 2 guys, that trade does nothing for me

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Only way I'd trade down is if we had 3rd overall (guaranteed not Hughes or Kakko). I would move down to 6.

For example, we have #3, Detroit has #6.

3rd Overall + Lucic + 2nd + Bear
For
6th Overall + Mantha

Dump Lucic and still end up with one of Turcotte, Dach, Byram, or Cozens. Also get Mantha who I think would be a very good 30+30 winger annually.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
No vote. This pick and cap space gets traded for NHL depth(not magic beans).

I do not want to hear "The Edmonton Oilers are "proud" to select......" for the next decade.
Detroit might be a player if the Oilers have 1st OA.

Why would you trust the guys in charge to get a fair deal?

We would probably trade first overall for some coke machine.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
I would pick up Hughes. Kakko is a better player but he does not speak English which raises up two questions:
1. It takes time to cope with NA, including office issues and coaching
2. It may imply a low IQ which can result in disability to think game well

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Are you saying Hughes can’t stickhandle? Are you comparing Puli to Matthews? I have nothing against Kakko but I take Hughes. Hughes is easily the faster guy, speed kills and can’t be taught.
Then how come Barkov, whose biggest weakness was skating, is like a bullet train now? Speed can be taught and it can be developed.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Then how come Barkov, whose biggest weakness was skating, is like a bullet train now? Speed can be taught and it can be developed.
Have you seen Hughes skate? He would make Barkov look like Lucic. If speed like his can be taught then then sign up Benning and Lucic.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Have you seen Hughes skate? He would make Barkov look like Lucic. If speed like his can be taught then then sign up Benning and Lucic.
I don't care whether Kakko goes first or fifth, so don't get me wrong here, I'm not here to argue that, BUT; Kakko can become fast like Barkov. Hughes can't become big like Kakko.

So if there's something that can't be taught its your natural frame.

I will say that doing what Barkov has done with his skating requires Crosby -like work ethic...or... Barkov -like.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
If Kakko doesn't speak english then his development should be the opposite of Puljujarvi.
Meaning, he stays another year in europe after draft
Then draft +2 he develops in the AHL and Draft +3 still developing in the AHL but will be first call up of any injuries. Would that be good development? or is he too skilled like Puljujarvi to go that route?

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
I don't care whether Kakko goes first or fifth, so don't get me wrong here, I'm not here to argue that, BUT; Kakko can become fast like Barkov. Hughes can't become big like Kakko.

So if there's something that can't be taught its your natural frame.

I will say that doing what Barkov has done with his skating requires Crosby -like work ethic...or... Barkov -like.
So what? We have enough size on this team. Is Kane huge? Crosby? Just because a guy isn’t big doesn’t mean he can’t dominate

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Size isn't and shouldn't be an issue for Hughes.

Look at what Gaudreau is doing this year... And he's shorter and a lot lighter than Hughes who can still grow.

Hughes has the magic hands, amazing skating, and slipperiness he needs to be successful in his frame.

Reactions: Messrules11

skuzzycuzz

Jan 7, 2012
You guys almost always take the wrong guy for your team so you’ll definitely take Hughes, just like you took Hopkins when you should have taken Landeskog.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
You guys almost always take the wrong guy for your team so you’ll definitely take Hughes, just like you took Hopkins when you should have taken Landeskog.
How was Nuge the wrong pick lol?

We had a f*** ton of what we thought would be high end wingers for a long time (Hall, Paajarvi, Eberle). We need a stud 1c and Nuge was on track to be that in his rookie season. Then he got injured.... Then he got screwed up by shitty coaching and "needing to play a better 2 way game to win."

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
8 years of hindsight makes your post laughable, got any other brilliant comparisons?

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Crosby is not tall but he is big. He has an insane frame which he's built upon.
So Hughes is incapable of building muscle? Gotcha. I get you love the Finns but if Kakko and his size are all the rage I’ll remind you that the NHL is full of big guys that can hit. None of them are Finns either

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
So Hughes is incapable of building muscle? Gotcha. I get you love the Finns but if Kakko and his size are all the rage I’ll remind you that the NHL is full of big guys that can hit. None of them are Finns either
Hughes does not have a frame to be like Crosby. I'd like to remind you that I've not argued who's better, Kakko or Hughes, nor can i argue because I've only seen Hughes in the few WJC games he played in. That's not enough to make any comparisons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad