Proposal: Kadri to Avs for 1st+?

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Pettersson was 5th overall. There are lots of examples of top 5 picks who make it soon.
Either way we need a center for next season. I think these guys could be ready in 1-2 seasons but they should start as a 3c with no pressure and be given an opportunity to grow until they surpass whoever is 2c.

Reactions: Foppberg

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Barrie with an extension?

Oh no, not a fan of Barrie to begin with.
Good skater, and righty RD is preferable target, but no, last I looked this is a D who doesn't really defend and chips on offense and playmaking a bit and that's it.

This is not a guy we have or even want to trade, we are looking for too much on the table to walk away from.
And we want at least a core piece to be to in the currency we seek.

Feel free to try again.

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011
If serious that's a yes. Leafs would add I would think.
If joking boo this man.
100% serious.
I believe that this is a "hockey trade" that addresses the positional needs of both teams and makes them stronger as a result.
I think the retention is a little on the high side for the Avs but not a deal breaker.

Reactions: 4thline

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Oh no, not a fan of Barrie to begin with.
Good skater, and righty RD is preferable target, but no, last I looked this is a D who doesn't really defend and chips on offense and playmaking a bit and that's it.

This is not a guy we have or even want to trade, we are looking for too much on the table to walk away from.
And we want at least a core piece to be to in the currency we seek.

Feel free to try again.
Fair enough. Seems like nothing to be made here. Only thing I would add is Barrie is an elite offensive D. Playing him with Skej would negate alot if his weakness and allow him to play to his strengths. He also was huge in us making the playoffs. Personally I think he gets resigned but Zibanejad is more of a need so it made a bit of sense for the Avs.
Don't think we have anything else that is a big piece to tempt you. Anyways like you said mutual disagreement, enjoyed the discussion.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Is the + the Rangers 1st round pick? There is no way Zib is worth the 4th overall pick.

No.
But I could see a larger add [like Jets 2019 1st] from NY
and a smaller add from Avs.

And I disagree.
Zib is a substantial value vs 4OA
there's room for discussion, but it's not like it's not in the ballpark.

Some guys on our board think Zib no less than top 2 prior to the lottery.

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
Is it just that they are low round picks, or is there an expectation based on scouting reports (observations of their play) that all of these prospects are expected to either bust, or will only amount to 3C/4Cs?
It is that they are low picks and the farm reports on their progression have not warranted getting excited about them outplaying their draft status. Not saying the guys that aren't recent draft picks can't change that yet but there is nothing to separate them from any other teams low round pick center prospects. Except for Shyvrev. Season before this he was very good and he has a lot of raw skill. Just hasn't put it together and I'm not super confident he will.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Fair enough. Seems like nothing to be made here. Only thing I would add is Barrie is an elite offensive D. Playing him with Skej would negate alot if his weakness and allow him to play to his strengths. He also was huge in us making the playoffs. Personally I think he gets resigned but Zibanejad is more of a need so it made a bit of sense for the Avs.
Don't think we have anything else that is a big piece to tempt you. Anyways like you said mutual disagreement, enjoyed the discussion.

thank you, also enjoyed the discussion
if we moved Zib it would be for youth or position of need as we build
it would not be a splurge to compete now.

Skjei-Barrie might generate chemistry, I grant you.
But just as to the mindset here, I personally am advocating moving Skjei to generate mins for Hajak, Lindgren, Rykov, and Claesson.

If I was to go for an RD, I would try for someone LIKE Parayko. [I understand he is not available, but that is who I would target.]

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Signing RFAs and adding additional players will be difficult unless we are cutting other player's salaries.

Toronto Maple Leafs - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

We have 19 players under contract with only $7.2 m of cap space to work with (assumes $83 m cap). I'll add the LTIR Horton of $5.3 m to give us a total of $12.5 m to play with.

What is not included in the above are the RFAs and UFAs that we have.

UFAs - Gardiner & Hainsey are the significant UFAs. I'm assuming that Marincin, Hutchinson & Ennis will be let go.
RFAs - Marner, Johnsson, Ozhiganov, Kapanen

If we sign Marner at let's say $10 m, that gives us $2.5 m to sign a defender. Could be Hainsey if he's willing to take a $500k pay cut, or another UFA defender at $2.5 m/year.

All of the rest (players identified in blue font) would have to exit, and we would play with a 21 man roster versus the more customary 23 players.

I'd rather trade Nylander rather than Kadri, Kapanen & Johnsson.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
No match.
If Zib is on the table, and Makar etc are off --- which I totally get --- then 4OA has to be coming back.

Other +/- is open to discussion, but those 2 pieces as core are required for NY.

Anyhoo, this was a civil and polite agree to disagree.
No offense but as a neutral fan I wouldn't touch Zib if Makar or the 4th were needed. I know he's not a C but Mark Stone probably could've been had for one of those pieces.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I see a lot of stuff off the tracks in this thread but yes I would do Kadri for the Avs 1st and a B prospect or something.

We could use the cap space and we just re-signed Petan for two years at a really low AAV. Might as well see what he can do as the 3rd line C and then if we had to we could upgrade at next trade deadline.

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander
Moore-Petan-Kapanen
Marleau-Gauthier-Brown

-Much weaker at 3C to start but could be an interesting line. Plus we add the mid-1st to the prospect pool and hopefully add another Sandin/Liljegren level prospect.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I would not be opposed to it sine he only has a year left.

What would TO give up to take him off their hands.
Unfortunately Marleau has a NMC so I doubt he would be okay moving to Colorado. Nothing against the team or city but I think he'd want to join a team with better odds than the Leafs to win a cup if he does in fact move on.

I think the only way we get out of Marleau if finding a bumper rebuilding team to retain half of the cap hit and then Marleau picks his destination.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
A pick. Need to shed salary for RFAs.
Looks like $4.25 in real dollars for one year and might have some usefulness left.

I see Cozens compared to him a lot, so he might be helpful bringing the kid along were he on the Avalanche roster and I think Colorado is a more desirable place to be put out to pasture than Arizona.

REALTALK81

Pro Log Driver
Nov 16, 2009
Looks like $4.25 in real dollars for one year and might have some usefulness left.

I see Cozens compared to him a lot, so he might be helpful bringing the kid along were he on the Avalanche roster and I think Colorado is a more desirable place to be put out to pasture than Arizona.

He has been a good role model for Marner and Co. I think he would do the same in Colorado. Just need to shed salary at this point.

BackhandToedrag

Oct 25, 2016
I would do
Zib +
for
edit correct typo
both Avs 2019 1sts [Ott and Colorado] +

That more than solves 2C, and when someone steps up, can push for 1RW on a line w/Landeskog and MacK.
this guys got jokes.... Zib is not a top line centre and the fact you think he would overtake Mikko on the top line is crazy

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
If you wanted 2c potential Bowers and Kamenev are really the only two. On the Avs theres a slight chance of Compher and Jost aswell. I think Jost becomes a second line wing with good defense and Compher a high end third liner you can play in your top 6.
OK thanks.

Reactions: avsfan09

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
It is that they are low picks and the farm reports on their progression have not warranted getting excited about them outplaying their draft status. Not saying the guys that aren't recent draft picks can't change that yet but there is nothing to separate them from any other teams low round pick center prospects. Except for Shyvrev. Season before this he was very good and he has a lot of raw skill. Just hasn't put it together and I'm not super confident he will.

Thanks for the feedback.

Reactions: Mac Attack

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I see a lot of stuff off the tracks in this thread but yes I would do Kadri for the Avs 1st and a B prospect or something.

We could use the cap space and we just re-signed Petan for two years at a really low AAV. Might as well see what he can do as the 3rd line C and then if we had to we could upgrade at next trade deadline.

Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson
-Matthews-Nylander
Moore-Petan-Kapanen
Marleau-Gauthier-Brown

-Much weaker at 3C to start but could be an interesting line. Plus we add the mid-1st to the prospect pool and hopefully add another Sandin/Liljegren level prospect.

We have 19 players under contract with only $7.2 m of cap space to work with (assumes $83 m cap). I'll add the LTIR Horton of $5.3 m to give us a total of $12.5 m to play with.

If Marner's contract is $10 m, Kapanen & Johnsson at $3 m per, you've used $16 million of the $17 million that is available ($12.5 + Kadri's salary $4.5). Gardiner & Hainsey have already been subtracted from the roster just to get to that $12.5 m of cap space mentioned earlier. That doesn't leave much to fill a couple of slots on the blueline even if they're ELCs. Looks like you'd need to subtract another player I'd think.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I would not be opposed to it sine he only has a year left.

What would TO give up to take him off their hands.

For anyteam not up against the cap, he only makes 1.25M after he gets his bonus on July 1. I wouldn't be surprised if he is traded for some teams 50th player on the roster July 2nd.

BackhandToedrag

Oct 25, 2016
I like Zibs, but it would seem to be a heavy price. It seems that top-5 picks are seldom moved these days due to the value of those picks in a cap environment.
Not just the cap hit look at some of the guys that went 4th lately (Marner,Tkachuk,Makar,Jones) all those guys are way way better than a Zib or kadri so why would a team not take a chance on drafting a star vs. trading that pick for the low end of what that pick could be especially when you have money to spend and the free agent pool is fairly deep

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Never mind Kadri. Could you take Marleau off of our hands? He can play some C.:naughty:

I see this as smaller part 1 of a 2 part larger deal.
Marc Staal 5.7 at half = 2.85 x 2, this year he is ridiculously cheap to buy out, and if you take half by retaining again, you can move him for, while retaining only, a miniscule 1.425 per x 2. Still useful as 3LD or 7th, if he does not retire.
for
Marleau at full pop.

Unfortunately Marleau has a NMC so I doubt he would be okay moving to Colorado. Nothing against the team or city but I think he'd want to join a team with better odds than the Leafs to win a cup if he does in fact move on.
I think the only way we get out of Marleau if finding a bumper rebuilding team to retain half of the cap hit and then Marleau picks his destination.
Under 1 set of circumstances, Rangers are a bottom 5 team upcoming season. If they catch every single break, they can seriously compete almost immediately.
Either way, Marleau is great fit for NYR.
We have emerging LD prospects we can hope are sufficiently ready, along with nice F talent. Have to shed excess vets like Namest. Obviously, G is well covered. The black hole is on RD, where there is help in the pipeline, but nowhere near ready. But if EKarlsson decides to hang with Hank for 1 yr at top dollar, with understanding if the season is bust we will move him likewise at half to contender, that could more than work if he is near form.
And if a bust, we can eat Marleau at half if nec to move him as rental.

I'd rather trade Nylander rather than Kadri, Kapanen & Johnsson.
Georgiev ++ for Nylander +
Leafs are obviously a solid, competitive +, winning team, but to get to the next level of Cup competitive, you need better, deeper net presence. My deal would provide more cap flexibility and help with structural cap issues given near to retain Marner at top $.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad