Proposal: Kadri to Avs for 1st+?

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
What’s the difference between trading Kadri for assets you can later trade for a defenseman or center anyway? Chances are you’d be targeting a team looking for futures and picks are currency.
Well it's like this. One is 1 trade. The other is 2 trades. Hope that helps.

Is this just an incomplete three way trade now? Do you always try this hard? Who makes proposals where the premise is you are trading for assets to trade? I'll tell you who. Trade happy people.

Look, I'm sure everyone else in the thread has told you what a great trade it is and all of Leaf Nation is behind you so surely my opinion doesn't matter that much. Time to move on.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
The proposal is upside down.

Kadri for a mid- to late-first-round pick plus is not at all interesting to me.

Kadri plus for a fourth overall we could work on.

Kadri was a good seventh overall in the 2009 draft and has held his value. Among his draft year he is currently 13th in games played, fifth in goals scored, and seventh in scoring points. He gives the Leafs depth at centre, has some grit, and is good defensively. And he's on a good contract.

A fourth-to-seventh overall in this year's draft would do very well to develop into another Kadri.

A mid- to late-round-first is just a pig in a poke. The Leafs would be very, very lucky to draft and develop as good a player years from now.

The Leafs need Kadri, or equivalent NHL talent, now. A draft pick and a bucket of spare parts doesn't do it.

No deal here to be made.
Well wasn't going to be a bucket of spare parts. But if your asking for 4th than your last sentence is mutual haha.

Reactions: Dooble08

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
Yeah I’d look for more for Kadri, but a 1st, prospect and sweetener is fine. Leafs spun than package into Muzzin. If you took that package and turned it into another Muzzin next year you’ve checked off the defensive upgrade and reallocated forward money to D.
What is this sweetener? A top ten pick? A grade A prospect?
If not, it's a waste of time to consider.
Muzzin is great but he is another lhd. Those are plentiful.
The leafs, along with several other teams, desperately need another high end rhd.
If they can't get it, there is very little reason to trade off the best center depth in the league.

OB34KNH

Apr 11, 2019
Look at Kadri's stats. He has UPHELD his value as a top 6 player in the draft!

The leafs ARE NOT IN CAP-HELL. They can trade guys like Brown to make room for Marner. Check cap friendly

Kadri is a 2C on a sweet-heart contract.

Tom Wilson got suspended multiple times. And so have many great NHL Players.

Nazem Kadri was playing better than Matthews this playoffs. This guy is a playoff vet. I know it is an HF Fantasy about trading valued players for a mystery box pick/prospect. It's really funny that a mid-range pick + a middling prospect is what pries Kadri away from the Leafs.

I know it is long an HF Fanatsy about trading proven players for "a new shiny toy". Beat it.
The 16th overall pick + a B level prospect is not going to cut it.

Unless a player of similar value is traded to the Leafs, or a Top 8 draft-pick, Kadri is not going anywhere. The reason why the Leafs are cup-contenders is due to their C-Depth.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia

The leafs ARE NOT IN CAP-HELL. They can trade guys like Brown to make room for Marner. Check cap friendly

Nazem Kadri was playing better than Matthews this playoffs. This guy is a playoff vet. I know it is an HF Fantasy about trading valued players for a mystery box pick/prospect. It's really funny that a mid-range pick + a middling prospect is what pries Kadri away from the Leafs.

I know it is long an HF Fanatsy about trading proven players for "a new shiny toy". Beat it.

Unless a player of similar value is traded to the Leafs, or a Top 8 draft-pick, Kadri is not going anywhere. The reason why the Leafs are cup-contenders is due to their C-Depth.
Players of Kadri's caliber get traded for futures all the time. Not saying Kadri will or should. I was simply asking. No need to take offense. I left the plus up to you to make a proposal in the op. Kadri won't fetch a top ten pick though.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
It will be interesting to see how Kadri's inability to stay composed in the playoffs hurts his standing with the Leafs. Might impact his trade value as well. Bruins have shown that if you just play him hard in the playoffs, he's likely to do something real stupid.

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
Trading Kadri means we'll still need a 3c.....putting 7M Nylander there just doesn't seem like a good idea due to cost not abilty. Kadri's contract is great so that's not one we'd be looking to dump due to our crunch next year. I like the value OP but just don't think it works. We'd need immediate help. The 3 way trade is obviously a possibility but without knowing who would want to give up a defenseman we'd need for your 1st round pick its kind of a pipe dream.

Reactions: avsfan09

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
It will be interesting to see how Kadri's inability to stay composed in the playoffs hurts his standing with the Leafs. Might impact his trade value as well. Bruins have shown that if you just play him hard in the playoffs, he's likely to do something real stupid.
lol you def have a point but hopefully any other team wouldn't need Kadri to fight their battles. We are kinda soft so Kadri steps up a lot.....not being a fighter he doesn't always think to drop the gloves

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle

But what does Dubas know about Kadri that other GMs don't? What do his spread sheets tell him? Is he some sort of wizard?!

If Barrie and Kadri were both on the market I could see a deal being made.

TO clearing a bit of cap space in their window might not be bad.

BackhandToedrag

Oct 25, 2016

He is a good player but he's not a top 6 player from the 09 draft he's 7th in scoring and there is at least 4 dman taken after him that are better (OEL Barrie Ekholm and Ellis)

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
My best answer would be for assets to use in a three way trade like mentioned above. There's the potential for helping with cap. I also didn't say the next plus would be insignificant. A guy like Kaut potentially could be added. Just curious and appreciate your oppinion ideas. I'm willing to overpay with futures because Mack needs support.
I just dont think moving a good, team-friendly contract is the way to fix the cap. If someone were to come along and offer a top 4 RHD at a similar cap hit or lower, it would certainly be tempting. Kaut is a decent prospect but he doesnt fill a need at the moment. By the end of the summer he may though.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Trading a player not trending well is surely going to get you the piece you want on D :help:.

What's the difference between Bozak as a 3C and Kadri as a 3C. Not much. Kadri had a hard time producing Bozak numbers in a 3C role this year.

Teams will be interested in Kadri but I think he will get the Patch treatment. He's not trending well it will be difficult to get the value the Leafs would like in return.
Kadris minutes have been nearly identical for years now. Both when he was putting up 30 goals and in a much worse season being this one. The whole "what's gonna happen to Kadri when hes moved down the lineup" is a myth. His minutes stayed the same. Hes on the #1 pp unit. He still got to play with good wingers. He simply had an off year.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Avs need atleast a stop gap 2c. What would Leafs be willing to do around Kadri? Avs are more than willing to trade their 1st in order to make it happen. Is a plus needed and if so how big?

Btw can we please try to keep this thread cordial? If you disagree on value don't dump on the other teams players/prospects. Explain why you value your piece higher and if the other side disagrees that's completely fair.

I would do
Zib +
for
edit correct typo
both Avs 2019 1sts [Ott and Colorado] +

That more than solves 2C, and when someone steps up, can push for 1RW on a line w/Landeskog and MacK.

Last edited:

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
I would do
Zib +
for
both 2020 1sts [Ott and Colorado] +

That more than solves 2C, and when someone steps up, can push for 1RW on a line w/Landeskog and MacK.

Who gets Zibs in this scenario, Ottawa or Colorado?

In all seriousness, I don't see Colorado having much interest in trading a top-5 pick and a mid first round pick in 2019 for Zibs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad