Proposal: Kadri to Avs for 1st+?

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
If we're that close why not add the missing piece? A 2c.

That's what I'm hoping we draft with 4OA. That's a long term solution to the problem, and not an expensive bandaid. Just because the long term solution might take a year or two to make the NHL doesn't mean it's not the best option. The only potential issue is Mack's next contract, but that's not a reason to panic and rush it, it's a reason to stock the shelves with high talent players who should be contributors on their ELCs when Mack get paid. Building a team is like playing chess, you should be able to play 6 or 7 moves ahead.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
And a whole pile of guys that didn’t amount to squat. I can guarantee you the expected value of the 16th pick ain’t Kadri. Sure we could always hit the lottery but you can’t count on it.

I'd still rather roll the dice than settle for 3 years of 27 year old, one time 60 point scorer Kadri.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I'd still rather roll the dice than settle for 3 years of 27 year old, one time 60 point scorer Kadri.

I’d understand if he had a year left, but 3 years (and possibly more) is not an insignificant amount of time. We went from worst team in the cap era to the second round of the playoffs in 3 years. What could we do in the next 3?

Reactions: avsfan09

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I’d understand if he had a year left, but 3 years (and possibly more) is not an insignificant amount of time. We went from worst team in the cap era to the second round of the playoffs in 3 years. What could we do in the next 3?

Remind me again how we transformed the team from the worst team in the cap era to one that made the second round of the playoffs. Because the way I remember it, we let the kids play. And, if that strategy is working better than anything else we've tried for the past decade+, why change course now? Why not see how far this path can take us before we start looking for shortcuts?

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Remind me again how we transformed the team from the worst team in the cap era to one that made the second round of the playoffs. Because the way I remember it, we let the kids play. And, if that strategy is working better than anything else we've tried for the past decade+, why change course now? Why not see how far this path can take us before we start looking for shortcuts?

Because the strategy to get from bottom feeder to playoff team is different from the one to get from playoff team to contender. We aren’t banking on hitting homeruns with our prospects anymore. We need to add the complementary pieces around the guys we already have to get us to the next level. I’m not saying trade all the youth. #4 would be nearly untouchable. But we are to the point where it would be ok to trade some lottery tickets for known assets.

Reactions: Mac Attack

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Finally someone who makes sense. Since its so obvious the Leafs need cap relief, they may have to accept less to move players, even if those players do have value like Kadri.

That's a fine fantasy, except he makes 4.5M, is a Centre, and as reported is getting interest league wide.

In an NHL where Cory Schneider, who had never played a starters workload was traded for a top 10 pick, and Lucic who had hit 30 goals once and 60 pts twice was traded for a 13th overall pick, Jones (which got them another 1st round pick) and Miller, Nazem Kadri gets a 2nd, lol

Totes.

Reactions: Halla

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Because the strategy to get from bottom feeder to playoff team is different from the one to get from playoff team to contender. We aren’t banking on hitting homeruns with our prospects anymore. We need to add the complementary pieces around the guys we already have to get us to the next level. I’m not saying trade all the youth. #4 would be nearly untouchable. But we are to the point where it would be ok to trade some lottery tickets for known assets.

What exactly makes the youngsters we already have incapable of becoming those complementary pieces, if given a legitimate chance? We still haven't even seen 200 NHL games from the first batch of youngsters that helped turn the team around, so I don't believe that we've seen the best NHL hockey they have to offer. I'd much rather see if we can get ~50 points from one of our 3rd year guys (Jost or Compher?) playing on the 2nd line with Rantanen, than give up 16OA for an older, more expensive ~55 point 2C with discipline problems in Kadri. This approach also lets us keep adding as much good young talent to the system as we can, hedging our bets that we'll have young contributors on ELCs when Mack gets his big new contract.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
That's a fine fantasy, except he makes 4.5M, is a Centre, and as reported is getting interest league wide.

In an NHL where Cory Schneider, who had never played a starters workload was traded for a top 10 pick, and Lucic who had hit 30 goals once and 60 pts twice was traded for a 13th overall pick, Jones (which got them another 1st round pick) and Miller, Nazem Kadri gets a 2nd, lol

Totes.
"reported" aka fakenews

And those trade examples are a joke. I can cherry pick the opposite trades as well. Its not that consistent in every trade.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
At this point Kadri 's value is a second round pick, no more no less
he's definitely not worth 16th overall in my eyes, but he's probably more than just a 2nd. A decent prospect would go to Toronto as well, with the quality of the prospect depending on where in the 2nd round the pick is. I'm a sens fan so there really is no need/want for Kadri but if we needed middle 6 centre, I'd be fine giving up something around the value of a 2nd+3rd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad