Proposal: Kadri to Avs for 1st+?

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
Not gonna speak to Kadri to the Avs. But the Avs trading their own first this year for someone in their mid 20's with term left seems like a pretty good bet.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
No offense but as a neutral fan I wouldn't touch Zib if Makar or the 4th were needed. I know he's not a C but Mark Stone probably could've been had for one of those pieces.
No offense taken, you notice I specifically acknowledged Makar was off the table and not expected. Especially since he is ready to step in now.

A 4OA who will likely will not step in for 2 years IS on the table. Rangers may have to add more and Avs less, but that is what it will take to get Zib, and his nice price and term, now.

Stone like you say is a different application but certainly a top dollar talent. But the thrust of Kadri or otherwise is for a 2C. Zib is 1C talent at 2C price.

this guys got jokes.... Zib is not a top line centre and the fact you think he would overtake Mikko on the top line is crazy
Whether or not he would 'overtake' Mikko, that would not be a matter of talent, it would be a matter of chemistry. Zib is a righty shot so at least a try out for some mins at 1RW on top of 2C mins is not inconceivable, esp for an experiment.

As for Zib, he IS a 1C

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
We have 19 players under contract with only $7.2 m of cap space to work with (assumes $83 m cap). I'll add the LTIR Horton of $5.3 m to give us a total of $12.5 m to play with.

If Marner's contract is $10 m, Kapanen & Johnsson at $3 m per, you've used $16 million of the $17 million that is available ($12.5 + Kadri's salary $4.5). Gardiner & Hainsey have already been subtracted from the roster just to get to that $12.5 m of cap space mentioned earlier. That doesn't leave much to fill a couple of slots on the blueline even if they're ELCs. Looks like you'd need to subtract another player I'd think.

In another thread to be picked up after Good Friday, my 2 to Toronto should be fully examined. See post 225. Big cap relief.

BackhandToedrag

Oct 25, 2016
No offense taken, you notice I specifically acknowledged Makar was off the table and not expected. Especially since he is ready to step in now.

A 4OA who will likely will not step in for 2 years IS on the table. Rangers may have to add more and Avs less, but that is what it will take to get Zib, and his nice price and term, now.

Stone like you say is a different application but certainly a top dollar talent. But the thrust of Kadri or otherwise is for a 2C. Zib is 1C talent at 2C price.

Whether or not he would 'overtake' Mikko, that would not be a matter of talent, it would be a matter of chemistry. Zib is a righty shot so at least a try out for some mins at 1RW on top of 2C mins is not inconceivable, esp for an experiment.

As for Zib, he IS a 1C
There are 31 team and I can name 31 centres better than him so no he's not but nice try he did have a very solid season though and there is no way you trade a top 4 pick for him

Here's a list of guys better than him
McDavid mackinnon Crosby Malkin Stamkos Backstrom Tavares Matthews Draisaitl scheifele Bergeron point Petterson Giroux Seguin couture Kuznetsov Barkov Toews Monahan Johansson trocheck barzal O'reilly Eichel Kopitar Duchene larkin hischier pavelski Getzlaf Aho

Last edited:

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
thank you, also enjoyed the discussion
if we moved Zib it would be for youth or position of need as we build
it would not be a splurge to compete now.

Skjei-Barrie might generate chemistry, I grant you.
But just as to the mindset here, I personally am advocating moving Skjei to generate mins for Hajak, Lindgren, Rykov, and Claesson.

If I was to go for an RD, I would try for someone LIKE Parayko. [I understand he is not available, but that is who I would target.]
Zib just isn't worth a top pairing dman

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Signing RFAs and adding additional players will be difficult unless we are cutting other player's salaries.

Toronto Maple Leafs - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

We have 19 players under contract with only $7.2 m of cap space to work with (assumes $83 m cap). I'll add the LTIR Horton of $5.3 m to give us a total of $12.5 m to play with.

What is not included in the above are the RFAs and UFAs that we have.

UFAs - Gardiner & Hainsey are the significant UFAs. I'm assuming that Marincin, Hutchinson & Ennis will be let go.
RFAs - Marner, Johnsson, Ozhiganov, Kapanen

If we sign Marner at let's say $10 m, that gives us $2.5 m to sign a defender. Could be Hainsey if he's willing to take a $500k pay cut, or another UFA defender at $2.5 m/year.

All of the rest (players identified in blue font) would have to exit, and we would play with a 21 man roster versus the more customary 23 players.

I'd rather trade Nylander rather than Kadri, Kapanen & Johnsson.

OK. Different people will have different ideas and preferences on which they player they'd like to keep. No worries or concerns about that, and its to be expected.

However, the real main point is that we won't be keeping all the players next year that we currently have on our roster. A number of players (7) will need to be released. Further, if we are entertaining thoughts of adding to, or bolstering our roster, cutting even more additional players will be required.

So, using the scenario described above, if we sign Marner to a new contract, and resign Hainsey to a reduced contract, the following players would need to be cut: Gardiner, Marincin, Hutchinson & Ennis, Ozhiganov, Johnsson & Kapanen.

In your scenario, we could sign Johnsson & Kapanen to new contracts by trading Nylander, but the list of who needs to go would then be: Nylander, Gardiner, Marincin, Hutchinson & Ennis & Ozhiganov.

In addition, we'd have to hope we could either resign Hainsey at a reduced cap hit ($2.5 m versus $3.0), or find a suitable/(hopefully) decent defender for $2.5m/year, AND have really no money to fill the vacated defender slot created by Gardiner's departure (meaning even further player reductions).

I've been looking at the numbers a number of times over the last few weeks and this is what I observe. Yet, I see a lot of posts don't seem to acknowledge the cutting that will need to be done, and that ostensibly don't reflect the measures that will need be taken because of our cap crunch.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
There are 31 team and I can name 31 centres better than him so no he's not but nice try he did have a very solid season though and there is no way you trade a top 4 pick for him

Here's a list of guys better than him
McDavid mackinnon Crosby Malkin Stamkos Backstrom Tavares Matthews Draisaitl scheifele Bergeron point Petterson Giroux Seguin couture Kuznetsov Barkov Toews Monahan Johansson trocheck barzal O'reilly Eichel Kopitar Duchene larkin hischier pavelski Getzlaf Aho

Disagree:
not better:
Backstrom, Giroux, trocheck, hischier, pavelski, Getzlaf, Aho

actually/possibly better, but would rather have Zib on his contract
or
actually/possibly better, but much more wear and tear, prefer Zib:
Malkin, Toews O'reilly Kopitar Duchene

that's just quick eyeballing it
you guys waaaaay undersell Zib

kegluu

Jan 30, 2016
Disagree:
not better:

or

Carolina's Sebastian Aho is not better than Zibanejad?

Reactions: avsfan09

BackhandToedrag

Oct 25, 2016
Disagree:
not better:

or

Your listlof guys that aren't better is so laughable CG28 for example his career low seasons are close to zibs best years... Nico maybe but that kid is gonna be good.... Getzlaf maybe because his feet don't move anymore but he's still really good.... Zib has had one good season, before this year he had only hit the 50 point mark one time... Zib over Aho is such a bad take your lucky canes fans won't see this you would get ripped

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Your listlof guys that aren't better is so laughable CG28 for example his career low seasons are close to zibs best years... Nico maybe but that kid is gonna be good.... Getzlaf maybe because his feet don't move anymore but he's still really good.... Zib has had one good season, before this year he had only hit the 50 point mark one time... Zib over Aho is such a bad take your lucky canes fans won't see this you would get ripped

I'll take a 2nd look at Aho, all I'm used to reading is Aho arriving, maybe I blinked and he arrived.

The rest of it, yeah, we are talking guys now, not their whole history.
Getz has still got it but not like he used to and I take 25 ish yr old Zib over post 30, last phase of career Getzlaf.

As to guys who are gonna be good, when they get there we can talk.
There are not as many guys as you say better
and
that list gets shorter if you adjust for
age,
salary
wear and tear
x factors [while much improved, some (o'reily, duchene) have been noted me first types/prima donna head cases]

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
I'll take a 2nd look at Aho, all I'm used to reading is Aho arriving, maybe I blinked and he arrived.

Getz has still got it but not like he used to and I take 25 ish yr old Zib over post 30, last phase of career Getzlaf.

and
age,
salary
wear and tear
x factors [while much improved, some (o'reily, duchene) have been noted me first types/prima donna head cases]

Oh my God! How can you possibly call Zib a 1C over so many guys when you clearly don't watch these other players, not even those in your own division? And better than Bäckstrom and Giroux? Homer much?

Reactions: avsfan09

BackhandToedrag

Oct 25, 2016

and
age,
salary
wear and tear
Duchene and orielly aren't head cases.... Im from the same home town as RoR I talked to him after his ELC was up they low balled him hard offered him 6x3.7 right after Duchene got 6x6 he was a little insulted then the AVS give rookie Landy the C knowing that would piss Ryan off as it really was his locker room and the AVS were a shit show not spending anywhere near the cap and the team turnover was insane plus both the GM and coach from 09-12 had zero experience doing those jobs and then they replaced them with 2 former AVS players and Roy was a disastrous both those guys just wanted to not be on a shit franchise

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad