Post-Game Talk: Just not good enough, Jets lose 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I think you have hit the nail on the head. He is the one skilled player that really hasn't conformed and simplified his offensive game. All of the other skilled players whether it be on defense or forward now play more of a simplified north/south game with limited risk at the offensive blue line. The other skilled players also play more of a cycle game (Even Laine) then Ehlers does.

I like Ehlers but he is likely the first high impact skilled player that gets moved out if it comes to that due to Maurice preferring different attributes.

Yup - nice job expanding on some of the stuff that's going through my head.
He doesn't fit MO's vision of what this team should look and play like -

I honestly didn't see anything in Ehlers's game today that should have benched him or moved him down the line up.
I did notice that the top line is now more meat and potato - in fact, so are the rest of them when you consider how our top players are now playing the game.

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
Bottom line for me is that it is a sad situation that we have PoMo calling the shots.
He will continuously put our highest paid player, captain and would-be-leader on the ice again and again even when he forces passes thru skates, sticks and bodies on the PP, takes stupid penalties and fails to demonstrate leadership.
Also putting Scheifele out there repeatedly when he continues to cheat offensively and half-heartedly backcheck.
These guys need to be our hardest workers and best players almost every night if we have a chance. That's what winning teams do.
The most frustrating thing is the mind-boggling moves by PoMo. Me thinks a change in coaching could be the main difference maker.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
That’s completely fair. But this is a message board after all and voicing concerns and frustrations about a stubborn coach who was just extended for the foreseeable future is a necessary cathartic experience.

Actually, it’s a “discussion” board to discuss things. Unfortunately most feel best venting their frustrations with emotions instead of actually discussing things which doesn’t add anything to the board.

Trcharles7

Mar 13, 2019
The deficiencies of this team are starting to look blatantly obvious now. Coach can't/won't make adjustments. If I'm an opposing team, I flood the neutral zone and essentially play the trap. Nobody in the lineup seems to know how to make a dangerous zone entry except Ehlers, who of course sits on the bench. Everyone else tries to dance at the Blueline, or make a stupid cross ice pass to nowhere.

Substitute for Morrissey is potato? Not that I think Niku is any better defensively (and what kind of excuse from mo is "he didn't skate this morning") at least he can make a breakout pass to the tape and create some offense. On top of that you put him with poolman? Ok. Are we trying to tank? Poolman has been the worst d-man on this roster since returning to the lineup. Every shift he makes a mistake and fails to use his size to any kind of advantage. Maybe another couple hits like the one against Ottawa late in the game. He can do it, just doesn't.

Wheeler hasn't looked good in a long while....he looks tired all the time. Great he scored on a tap in because of an incredible pass from an original AHL call up. So glad we extended wheeler. Better find a place for him with less ice time or we going to continue to go backwards. Can't watch him stand on the wall waiting for a seam to open up anymore and then hook the guy for being better than him. Everyone in the rink knows what your looking for!!!! And then, because teams flood the neutral zone, we dump and chase with a roster of "skilled" offensive players with no grit or tenacity. I don't care that Connor puts the puck in the net if he can't at least make body contact on a dump in. And it's not just Connor, it's all of them. the d man sense no pressure and make easy decisions all game long. You wanna play dump and chase Maurice, then get your guys on the old school program and stop rewarding crap hockey. Can't watch another waving stick big c-cut fly by. Don't need Dustin Byfuglien hits. Just body contact. It's playoff style hockey. Simple.

Don't even get me started on the man to man coverage in our own zone. Couple guys move around a bit and everyone in our defensive zone is lost and confused. Can't ask hellebyuck to win the cup for us. He's trying though.

Ggg99

Sep 17, 2018
Interesting theory. Any particularly explanation as to why when "moving guys around" that Wheeler or anyone else for that matter aren't the ones who are left playing fewer minutes to spread the offence around?
Wheeler turns the puck over on the PP then takes a lazy/dumb/selfish hooking penalty in a piss poor effort to recover but Ehlers gets demoted and called out for no particular play that I could see.

I guess that's Mo's definition of spreading the offence around.

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
Just saying, a little less emotion for people when posting would make things more tolerable for all.
I have mixed feelings about this. I agree that posting the same inane talking point over and over can be tiresome. That being said, we're all clearly heavily invested in the success or lack of success of this team. Of course there's going to be emotion there. I think a number of us can't shake the sinking feeling that the best days of this group are behind them and that should make people mad after the bright future this group logically should have had after 2017. And if strange roster and usage decisions are going to be made continuously, they should also be pointed out continuously.

And for the record, the header of the website refers to HFBoards as an "NHL message board" ;)

Ggg99

Sep 17, 2018
Just saying, a little less emotion for people when posting would make things more tolerable for all.
Emotionless Jets fans?

N3yrwU.gif

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
I love Ehlers, but he wasn't great today. Spent a lot of time hanging on the sideboards when the play was in front of the Buffalo net, got in there once and almost popped one in. Another rush we got a break when whoever the BUF goalie was played it right to Roslovic but Ehlers was standing 80 feet away on the sideboards at the dot instead of tracking the play and staying involved. He's not anywhere near the play or the net where he would have had an empty net tap in.

He does a lot of great things, but he's gotta get a little dirty and score some easy ones sometimes too. This can be said about pretty much our entire regular top 6 BTW aside from Connor.

Niku is basically a myth haha...the trap breaker! Guy has done nothing over now dozens of games over two seasons. Literally nothing! He's no better than any of the other fringe NHLers we have and probably worse in terms of the decisions he makes without the puck.

Reactions: FFHockey

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
I think you have hit the nail on the head. He is the one skilled player that really hasn't conformed and simplified his offensive game. All of the other skilled players whether it be on defense or forward now play more of a simplified north/south game with limited risk at the offensive blue line. The other skilled players also play more of a cycle game (Even Laine) then Ehlers does.

I like Ehlers but he is likely the first high impact skilled player that gets moved out if it comes to that due to Maurice preferring different attributes.

If that happens, I’m done. This team is done.
We have the talent to be SO much better than we are but they’re not allowed to use it.

Reactions: hn777
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad