Post-Game Talk: Just not good enough, Jets lose 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Move Wheeler back to the 2nd line (center) - I love Copp but he can't center a line with 2 players that shoot.

Copp is just not a 2nd line center --he has no scoring hands, and limited playmaking ability. They will have to move Wheeler back to 2nd center, or play Roslo or Eakins in that position. Roslo would be ideal, be is so inconsistent.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Beaulieu is so bad at everything, and he might not even be our worst D in the lineup.

I liked a lot of the Jets' game and they certainly were at least even, but mistakes cost you in tight games and the Jets make too many mistakes.

I didn't mind Eakin's game, but he's not a difference maker.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I like Ehlers but he's played on the #1 line for a few games now and it's not like he was lighting it up , i just think Maurice was trying to get offense from another line . Guys have been moving all around and i think this will keep happening until they string some wins together .

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Yep, this is the darkest timeline.

I hate how our defense can't make a tape-to-tape pass to our forwards.

It's always too far ahead, in the skates or behind.
This is a MASSIVE problem , soooo much worse without Morrissey as well .

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I was surprised that Helle didn't get more criticism for yesterday's game. 3 Pavlecian softies out of 4 goals. He was good today though. Unfortunately, the guy at the other end was better.

I was satisfied with the all around play today - but you have to score more than 1.

Is it just me or do the Jets have a habit of making opposing goalies look good? Goes right back to season 1. Complete turnover of personnel but it still seems to happen too often.

I liked Eakins first game, but he is slow. Reminded me of Adam Pardy on that breakaway chance.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
I was surprised that Helle didn't get more criticism for yesterday's game. 3 Pavlecian softies out of 4 goals. He was good today though. Unfortunately, the guy at the other end was better.

I was satisfied with the all around play today - but you have to score more than 1.

Is it just me or do the Jets have a habit of making opposing goalies look good? Goes right back to season 1. Complete turnover of personnel but it still seems to happen too often.

I liked Eakins first game, but he is slow. Reminded me of Adam Pardy on that breakaway chance.
it was the end of a shift

Reactions: Naturaledge

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
This place is becoming a cess pool of negativity.
giphy.gif

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I liked the adjustment to 3 lines made by Maurice. Harkins sure added a spark to the top line, playing in straight lines, and showing a lot of poise and vision. But the winger combinations after that had limited chances. Connor-Laine really seemed off, trying to do too much by themselves. Copp did a decent job against Eichel. Ehlers-Rosie set up a couple of good chances. I though Eakin was very strong defensively, which helped. Even Bourque-Apples some moments, though Apples wasn't on today, in terms of quickness. Shore has been of late. Some of the forwards seemed in a slumber. Maybe it was the Sabres system maybe the afternoon timing.

The defense was the biggest problem. Other than Kulikov-Pionk there was no sustained offense. I was hoping Beaulieu-De Melo could have a 2nd pairing impact, but they couldn't keep the puck in. Beaulieu looked drunk, or injured, always a step too slow to react, and often off balance. De Melo was backing in way too much, and struggled to move the puck. The GWG is hard to decipher, but we are missing the 3rd player down low on the blue line stand, I didn't see who cheated or got caught on the wrong side. I hope Maurice thinks about putting De Melo with Morrissey next game. If he was good with Chabot in Ottawa, Beaulieu isn't that player, but Mo is a lot closer.

One thing that stood out to me is that Buffalo has some good RHD in Montour, Ristolainen, Miller and Jokiharju. I wonder if Chevy will make calls on any of them. You wonder if Niku wouldn't have been a better choice than Bitetto, in a game where the neutral zone was constantly clogged, to get the puck moving forward. Not a real boost of confidence for the kid.

Going up next against a tough Washington squad, Jets may have squandered an opportunity, and have to go back to climbing uphill.

Reactions: FFHockey

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
2 shots on net in last 12 minutes of the game down just 1 goal fighting for your playoff life against a mediocre team. Completely embarrassing play after the second Sabres goal. While they were decent for most of the game they completely shat the bed once sabres scored the 2nd goal... there was no pushback.

Playoff hopes might be done at the end of the home and home against Washington. The turtle derby in the west for the wildcard spot gave them a shot at the playoffs inspite being so bad but doesn't look like they have it in them to grab that opportunity,

I don't even care about Niku, he's no better than likes of Bitetto and Sbisa from what he has shown but him changing one of the few lines that was actually scoring to put Eakin on there is a slap in the face. Breaking up something that is working is completely undefensenble.

While I am happy for Harkins and he did great with the opportunity on the top line I am baffled what Ehlers did to get demoted. Laine or Wheeler should have been the ones demoted Laine for that egregious giveaway that resulted in the Eichel breakaway and Wheeler for taking a penalty on the PP in the o-zone if he wanted to send a message.

I hope some good samaritan in TNSE offices steals Chevy's cell phone before the deadline so that we don't do anything else that's stupid. Enough assets have already been burnt.

On the positive side... the top line with Harkins looked dangerous and played well. Harkins looks like he has top-6 potential... I did not like Ehlers taken off that line but I did like the look of that line with Harkins, he goes hard to the net and complements the other two well. Shore was solid once again and Borque made a good play throwing that hit on Risto and generating a scoring chance as a result.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I like Ehlers but he's played on the #1 line for a few games now and it's not like he was lighting it up , i just think Maurice was trying to get offense from another line . Guys have been moving all around and i think this will keep happening until they string some wins together .

The question for me is why is Wheeler back on number one - I though he was doing a decent job covering for Little - as as far as I know, Little is still out - so why?
I'd be just fine with 29 - 55 - 27 and 81 - 26 - 82/28/58.

Ggg99

Sep 17, 2018
Hard not to be negative when they get zero shots in last 9 minutes when down by a goal. Where's the desperation. Bounces my ass.

The Beaulieu and Demelo pairing was bad. On Bufflalo's game winner Beaulieu takes himself out of the play at the blue line, then coasts behind Okposo, turns away from him, doesn't move his feet and never attempts to get back into the play. Not sure what the hell he was thinking. And then Demelo overplays the pass allowing way to much time and space for Okposo to shoot.

On the bright side Harkins was a beast and if he starts burying his chances he will be a true top 6 guy.

Mo demotes Ehlers yet again when we need offence. He is hands down our best zone entry guy - witness him flying end to end late in the third taking every Sabre on the ice deep with him before setting up Beaulieu - who craps it up but the Ehler speed on that rush was breath-taking. Mo is so old school it's just painful.

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
Interesting theory. Any particularly explanation as to why when "moving guys around" that Wheeler or anyone else for that matter aren't the ones who are left playing fewer minutes to spread the offence around?

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
As sub par as a GM he is, he's not that stupid.

Hopefully.
Based on the Eakin acquisition and the supposed interest in guys like Bogosian and Wayne Simmonds, I'm starting to worry that he's not all that skilled when it comes to NHL talent evaluation. I'd be scared about what may happen tomorrow.

Reactions: ecolad and hn777
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad