GDT: July 1st - Free Agent Extravaganza

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetalGodAOD*

OFFICIAL: #NYR have agreed to terms with free agent forward Chris Mueller.

AHL player, saw some time on Dallas's 4th line when injuries hit last year, but was underwhelming. AHL all star

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Its becoming clear that the Florida teams have a little bit of a cap advantage considering their tax laws. Same contract in NY for Stralman is closer to 5 per.

It isn't just tax laws. It is cost of living in general. Southern states have a cost of living that those in the north can only dream about. Although people in the north make bit more, it does not = the increase in cost of living by any means.

Combine the lack of state income tax with the lower cost of living and the difference is QUITE significant.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
They really don't ignore it, there's even a BoH thread about it. But the difference isn't 750k like some people want you to believe. The difference is about 300k, 500k max

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/blo...-cliff-might-give-canadian-nhl-teams-a-boost/

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1695661

State income tax in NY is 8%. In Florida it's 0.

8% of 4.5M is about $360,000.

So on that alone, the NYR would have to offer $4.85M.

Now add in living expenses. Home+Food+going out to events, etc. You're looking at at least $5M a year to even it out.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
It isn't just tax laws. It is cost of living in general. Southern states have a cost of living that those in the north can only dream about. Although people in the north make bit more, it does not = the increase in cost of living by any means.

Combine the lack of state income tax with the lower cost of living and the difference is QUITE significant.

It normally comes close to equalling it.

My cost of living where I am is roughly half. My salary is a bit more than half (but only by a few thousand).

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess

Now add in living expenses. Home+Food+going out to events, etc. You're looking at at least $5M a year to even it out.

It's not entirely true for all 82 games though. Pro athletes pay the tax where they earn their money. Meaning they are subject to taxes in all the states where they have an actual game, not where they reside.

MetalGodAOD*

Read the links, it's not that simple. Players get taxed in the state they play in, and different states have different laws. Only 45ish games are played in Florida. There's also caps, jock taxes, etc.

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
It always amazes me that in sports, nobody seems to consider or even care about the state income tax. Fans completely ignore it.

What amazes me is that people think these guys pay much if any state tax to begin with. If you're a millionaire and can't find an accountant to help you get out of paying state income tax, then you're a fool.

NYRSchrute217

Oct 28, 2008
Would anyone be upset with Setoguchi to replace Pouliot? Maybe 1 year 1.5M? Can't afford to go much higher.

Trainmman

May 29, 2014
Jersey
I thought we got Peter Mueller, but I realized I was off. Can he step in as a potential 4th liner, or is it just AHL depth?

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Really worked out well for Stralman, he got his cash, and didn't have to go to an awful team to get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad