Speculation: RBAs next contract

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Just make it a 'forever Cane' or until retirement contract.
What makes you think Rod wants that? If he separates himself from the assistants contract schedule, he can’t help them, which apparently is the major issue this time just like last time.

Everyone seems to think this is all on Dundon, but Rod’s demands, while noble, are unusual and what is holding everything up.

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
He's not leaving, he's trying to take care of his assistants. And honestly, given how we have been developing over the course of the year as well as year over year, they all deserve it.

With all of that said, everything I've heard is that it was all tabled until after the playoff run is over, and it's been like that for a couple months now, so to hear all of this the last 24 hours or so, someone is pulling some bullshit behind the scenes. And of course the Canadian media sucks it all down like a lapdog due to their obsession with Dundon and the Canes. Getting O'Neill, who has been bitter toward the franchise ever since the sale, was a cherry on top last night
This. And given that the previous contract that got his assistants a boost only to see Chynoweth end up leaving and Gleason coming in with frankly no drop off in how the defense played, I can see Dundon maybe pushing back on a raise if he's thinking a potential Gleason replacement will have just as much success as Gleason did coming in.

Which given the amount is probably pretty small all things considered it's a stupid thing to get caught up over.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
This. And given that the previous contract that got his assistants a boost only to see Chynoweth end up leaving and Gleason coming in with frankly no drop off in how the defense played, I can see Dundon maybe pushing back on a raise if he's thinking a potential Gleason replacement will have just as much success as Gleason did coming in.

Which given the amount is probably pretty small all things considered it's a stupid thing to get caught up over.
Given where it looks like the defense may be headed with exits in the off season, wouldn't they want as much continuity as possible on that front?

DW, in his presser yesterday and in the Russo article, alluded to the need to maintain the defensive standards/identity of the team as a priority and how that affects what the team can do with the UFAs and RFA contracts such as Jarvis, Guentzel, etc.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
It's the cost of doing business for Tom Dundo. Once you have put in all the work to be perceived as a cutthroat in contract negotiations, it would be silly to let the hard-earned rep go by making it every now and then look like the tight-fistedness is negotiable. The agents would be getting ideas.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
It's the cost of doing business for Tom Dundo. Once you have put in all the work to be perceived as a cutthroat in contract negotiations, it would be silly to let the hard-earned rep go by making it every now and then look like the tight-fistedness is negotiable. The agents would be getting ideas.
Once word gets out that a pirate’s gone soft it’s nothing but work work work all the time

wolfofthesteppes

Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Magic Theater
Hard to disagree with anything O'Neill or Weekes said. It is odd that this is coming up now as, once the playoffs started, I wasn't expecting to hear anything about it until our season was over. That being said, while I fully expect Rod to be back with us, the Canes really should have put this to bed before now, and this speculation and criticism is the result of not doing that.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
But if there’s even an iota of a chance you lose RBA because of this negotiation, you’re playing with a far reaching fire that I don’t think Dundon realizes.
There are two key word/phrases/points in all of this discussion. The first is that Tom Dundon is "squeezing" Rod. And this despite all of the public and private statements Dundon has made about Rod being essential for the team and for his desire to own the team....
And the agent knows it, which is why he's pushing for more money.
.....and the second is that we don't have a clue as to where the negotiations actually stand, what the structure of the contract is, and whether or not the staff piece is the sticking point....we just don't know.

That's what makes the Weekes/O'Neill bullshit so infuriating (and if it wasn't "journalism") inappropriate. It is indeed quite easy for us Canes' fans to put on our tinfoil hats filled with New York/Toronto "out to get us" conspiracy theories.....but these guys have to fill up the airways and because they "think" that Tom and Roddy are at loggerheads, that's the narrative they are going to portray.

Personally, I'm with the group that thinks in an effort to minimize distractions, serious and/or remaining contract talks/negotiations/details are being left until after the post-season. Unfortunately, because the hockey cognoscenti think that things should happen the way it has always happened (or how they want it to happen), this situation has become prime scab-picking material.

Lastly, it is very clear that Tom Dundon is a bee in their collective bonnets. I, for one, am here all day to watch their world burn.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I find the conspiracy theory that this is all made up to help the Rangers in the next series to be the highest level of ridiculous. Like, give your head a good shake. There's zero reason for noted reporters to risk their reputation by making up such a thing.

Add in the fact that people with connections to o the organization (like Sara Civ and Cory Lav) are backing up the info, and the denial seems like the equivalent of putting both fingers in your ears and going "Lalala, if I can't hear it, it's not true!"

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I find the conspiracy theory that this is all made up to help the Rangers in the next series to be the highest level of ridiculous. Like, give your head a good shake. There's zero reason for noted reporters to risk their reputation by making up such a thing.

Add in the fact that people with connections to o the organization (like Sara Civ and Cory Lav) are backing up the info, and the denial seems like the equivalent of putting both fingers in your ears and going "Lalala, if I can't hear it, it's not true!"
While I agree there isn't a conspiracy here, I do think tabling the contract until after the playoffs is a reasonable thing that should not be freaked out over.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
While I agree there isn't a conspiracy here, I do think tabling the contract until after the playoffs is a reasonable thing that should not be freaked out over.
Yea my guess is most contract negotiations, players & coaches, have likely been tabled until playoffs are over so as to avoid any distractions or performance effects

Reactions: Chrispy

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
There's zero reason for noted reporters to risk their reputation by making up such a thing.
Respectfully.....that's bullshit. They do it all the time. All of them....they speculate, they guess, and, yes, they hope. I cannot count the number of times nearly each and every one of these "reporters" has promoted, liked, retweeted, etc. rumors that not only turn out to be unfounded, but often made up out of whole cloth.

That said, I'm not saying this case is conspiracy worthy, I'm saying that it gives those with tendencies toward believing conspiracies ample fodder.

I'm with you in the sense that these folks are reporting what they see and hear....whether or not it is appropriately sourced. It is what they do and have always done and there's nothing really wrong with it. Sometimes they're right. What I am saying is that it is also reasonable that those with a propensity for creating and/or perpetuating conspiracy theories, will and do take this stuff and run with it ("the New York media is doing this to get the Canes off of their game" bullshit).

Because of today's social media milieu airspace gets naturally filled. To me, that's what this is.

Until one of these noted "reporters" starts quoting actual sources, my sense is it is all a tempest in a teapot. AND it is perfectly logical to think that things will clear up after the playoffs.

Last edited:

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020

None of their reputations are even remotely risked with their bullshit reporting, lol.

Reactions: cptjeff

Ad

Upcoming events

• Denmark vs Great Britain
    Denmark vs Great Britain
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Kazakhstan vs Germany
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $2,330.00
    Event closes