Player Discussion Julien Gauthier

lilphildub

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2009
He gets the least amount of time because he's bad. It's pretty simple. He had a good game yesterday but everyone can see that is rare. He needs to build on it and be more consistent. The lack of defensive awareness and lack of interest to get involved during games is concerning. I don't think there's a coach that truly wants to play him when he's playing his usual game

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
He gets the least amount of time because he's bad. It's pretty simple. He had a good game yesterday but everyone can see that is rare. He needs to build on it and be more consistent. The lack of defensive awareness and lack of interest to get involved during games is concerning. I don't think there's a coach that truly wants to play him when he's playing his usual game
This is such an awful take. Awful.

He has many times this season been our most impactful and visible forward in the offensive zone with the limited ice time he gets. I dont know what games you watch, if you do at all, but the kid gets “involved”. Drives the net hard constantly and has a willingness to shoot the puck from anywhere.

But hey I guess to each their own...

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
lol wut? Are we talking about the same player? The guy is one of our faster skaters and works hard in the corners. He's just starting to put together his tools at the NHL level. He can work on the D side of the puck more, but he is by no means a liability on the defensive zone.

Reactions: Ktel16

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
lol wut? Are we talking about the same player? The guy is one of our faster skaters and works hard in the corners. He's just starting to put together his tools at the NHL level. He can work on the D side of the puck more, but he is by no means a liability on the defensive zone.
I have watched A LOT of hockey over the last 20 years. Watched a lot of really bad hockey players in their own end. Game in, game out, I just do not see what is warranting only 7 f***ing minutes a game from DQ. I don’t. He has work to do defensively, but we don’t need this kid to make it has some 3rd/4th line checker. He has clear offensive talent. It shows every game and that is why it is mind boggling that he cant get at least 10+ minutes per game which would be achieved by just getting some PP2 time alone, forget EV time increases. I mean we cannot trust him up a man in the offensive zone?? But we prefer Brendan Lemieux who cannot even stay upright???

Mind Boggling.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I'd like to see more of Gauthier before we simply give up on him, but Lemieux, for all his flaws, is an absolute maestro when it comes to drawing penalties, and that can't be ignored.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I'd like to see more of Gauthier before we simply give up on him, but Lemieux, for all his flaws, is an absolute maestro when it comes to drawing penalties, and that can't be ignored.

Gauthier is actually 3rd in the league in penalties drawn/60 this year.

According to @Amazing Kreiderman. Haven't check it myself, but I trust he got it bang on.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Lemieux is 6th in the league in that stat though. He just takes more penalties at the same time.

Gauthier is best on the team and 26th in the league for net penalties/60 (min 10 GP).

Which makes sense, Lemieux tends to draw his through agitation; Gauthier just blows by defenders and forces them to get a hold of his jersey or hook on for dear life.

Reactions: RGY

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
Lemieux is 6th in the league in that stat though. He just takes more penalties at the same time.

Gauthier is best on the team and 26th in the league for net penalties/60 (min 10 GP).

Which makes sense, Lemieux tends to draw his through agitation; Gauthier just blows by defenders and forces them to get a hold of his jersey or hook on for dear life.

Which is why their roles in how DQ is using them should be reversed.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
This isnt a matter of Lemieux vs Gauthier for me. At least not for playing time because with the players out, they are both on the 4th line. The difference is Lemieux gets the PP2 time which is some next level braindead coaching by DQ. Thats my issue. You have a big, strong, fast, physical kid with great hands and you cant justify putting him on the 2nd PP unit? What?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

"I wish Gauthier played more"
- David Quinn (Feb 11, after Gauthier played 6 minutes)

When even the coach admits he has been playing well enough to get more minutes, it shows you that he has not been bad. Now, the coach's inability to keep track of his players on the bench is a different matter altogether :laugh:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Gauthier needs to be more consistent from game to game. His physical game isn't always there either. He made a great play on the goal last night though and generally has been playing better lately. Chytil comes back-I'd expect Brodzinski comes out and Gauthier stays in the lineup.

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
I remember my 1st beer too

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
With his limited minutes hes making things happen.He draws penalties as well as anyone on our team while playing under 10 minutes a game.Thats impressive.Hes been using his size and speed when countering to create chances.Im not sure what more he needs to do to earn more minutes.The consistency will improve im sure when his ice time does.

Reactions: RGY

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
He still really struggles with the Xs and Os of the game. I can see how he’d be a frustrating player from a coach’s perspective.

But his size and speed combo is really impressive. I think he can be a hell of a player in a few years.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Interesting comment by Quinn in his post-game interview about Gauthier needing to go get x-rays as a precaution. I don't remember seeing any play where he could've potentially gotten hurt, but he's apparently ok.

Gauthier is also starting to do the little things on the ice much better where he was f***ing up royally earlier this year. Mainly, he's been a lot better about not being an idiot with the puck in the neutral zone and figuring out how to keep it simple and get the puck deep when needed. He had one really good shift last game and today fighting for the puck through the NZ and getting it in deep for a change. Simple plays, but it's what he wasn't doing properly earlier in the year, and now he's starting to put it together with his simplified offensive approach. I like him a lot as a 3RW moving forward

Reactions: Trxjw

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Interesting comment by Quinn in his post-game interview about Gauthier needing to go get x-rays as a precaution. I don't remember seeing any play where he could've potentially gotten hurt, but he's apparently ok.
He also said that he was happy with his play. Good, good, good.

Reactions: maris and Mac n Gs

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Can someone please tell me why this kid keeps getting the short end? I mean is he that bad in his own zone?
Some game’s he looks like the only one that can take the puck and fly to the net.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Can someone please tell me why this kid keeps getting the short end? I mean is he that bad in his own zone?
Some game’s he looks like the only one that can take the puck and fly to the net.

because we have a wrong coach for developing young players? He has his selfish agenda going. He used us and the Rangers as a stepping stone for his lousy career.

Reactions: bl02

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad