Player Discussion Julien Gauthier

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
I said it from the beginning. He is the dark horse after Chytil, Kakko, and Laf. If he rounds out into a power forward with those three, this team will be greatly deepened that much further on the wings.

Reactions: Tob, Cmox and Cag29

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I said it from the beginning. He is the dark horse after Chytil, Kakko, and Laf. If he rounds out into a power forward with those three, this team will be greatly deepened that much further on the wings.
If we give him the chance to do so- which we haven't so far.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
It is up to him to make the most of his minutes in all of his games. I will say that in the last two games he has been doing just that. Now he has to maintain that level of play.

Yeah but we don't make all of our prospects work their way up from the 4th line.

I just hope that if Buchnevich does end up getting included in a trade for a center, we haven't already jettisoned Gauthier for nothing at that point. They should def qualify him no matter how this season goes.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Yeah but we don't make all of our prospects work their way up from the 4th line.

I just hope that if Buchnevich does end up getting included in a trade for a center, we haven't already jettisoned Gauthier for nothing at that point. They should def qualify him no matter how this season goes.
Between the 4th and the third line. Last year, Gauthier played on the third. This year he started there and then showed nothing. He only started to show something when dropped to the 4th line. Kakko, Buchnevich have all spent time on the bottom 2 lines. Lafreniere is spending lots of time on the third.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Repeating here what I texted to a friend on this very subject:

What we've seen out of Gauthier so far this year is what we've wanted to see... so far.

As I've said before, he started out trying to play his AHL game as he did after the trade last year, it didn't work, he sat, and then when he came back you could see him really trying to focus on what the coaches had told him (head on a swivel, 3rd man high, no extended shifts, etc.), and he went from putrid, to bland, to doing a good job of all those things. But now he needs to build off that base.

The next step – and this is the one that will determine whether he can be a solid career bottom, or even middle six RW and whether he eventually winds up in Russia – is whether he can now apply purpose/drive/forcefulness/confidence/whatever-you-want-to-call it in playing his new game. More proactive/less reactive. Using his natural gifts to dictate play in his new role.

I just hope they do give him a legitimate shot to sink or swim, because the payoff would be big if he can successfully adjust his game. I mean, just take yesterday, for example: he was still thinking more than I would like – and had one egregious turnover, which led to him taking a penalty – but even so, drew a couple of penalties himself simply due to being bigger and faster. That's a player worth investing a real effort in developing, especially while the team is still clearly in a transition phase.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I don't think Lemieux is very effective in front of the net. He's willing, but not effective.
Being willing is the first step. I liked what I saw out of him last year when we saw him there. I have not yet seen Gauthier show that he is willing.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
He’s gotten like 30 sec of PP time all year. And his one goal so far came from precisely that area. I’d like to see them try it for 3-5 games.
That is fair, I guess. I just have not seen him willing to commit to playing in the dirty areas of the ice. As of now, he is still the first one out when a forward returns.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
That is fair, I guess. I just have not seen him willing to commit to playing in the dirty areas of the ice. As of now, he is still the first one out when a forward returns.
Well, I think that’s part of the change that Quinn and the coaching staff have asked him to make and he’s still hyper conscious of being defensively responsible first and foremost. Learning to be more aggressive within the framework of his new game is the very trait I highlighted in my post yesterday that he’s going to have to learn next as the final step that’ll make the difference between being an effective bottom/middle six winger and going to play in the KHL. But on the PP he wouldn’t have that worry; his assignment would simply be to go to the front of the net and focus on offense.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Well, I think that’s part of the change that Quinn and the coaching staff have asked him to make and he’s still hyper conscious of being defensively responsible first and foremost. Learning to be more aggressive within the framework of his new game is the very trait I highlighted in my post yesterday that he’s going to have to learn next as the final step that’ll make the difference between being an effective bottom/middle six winger and going to play in the KHL. But on the PP he wouldn’t have that worry; his assignment would simply be to go to the front of the net and focus on offense.
You can see that at times, he has taken what the coaching staff is trying to instill. From my perch, he just needs to play more consistently that way. With regards to the PP, I am not sure that it is in his wheelhouse to drive to the net and impose himself there. Clearly, it would be fantastic for him and the team if he could.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
I hope he does whatever he needs to do to earn Quinn's trust. He has the least of it on this team. It'd be a waste otherwise

Reactions: bl02

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
He must be a real garbage player in the d zone... well at least according to the coaching staff.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
I mean before this game, Gauthier had the least amount of TOI out of anyone, including Jonny F'n Brodzinski.

Gauthier is a frustrating player because you can tell he has all the talent in the world to be a difference-maker, but Quinn's usage of him (and lack thereof) has been nothing short of awful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad