Player Discussion Julien Gauthier

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
The irony of Joe saying that net drive is what he needs to finally be doing annoyed me. TBH that was all he did in very limited minutes last year and at the very start of this year. Glad he's making safer reads in his own zone and that's the difference right now, but driving the net, drawing penalties--that's the only thing he was doing before the last couple games.

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
The irony of Joe saying that net drive is what he needs to finally be doing annoyed me. TBH that was all he did in very limited minutes last year and at the very start of this year. Glad he's making safer reads in his own zone and that's the difference right now, but driving the net, drawing penalties--that's the only thing he was doing before the last couple games.
I think he's the only guy on the team along with maybe Lemieux who takes the puck to the net. Everyone either passes or turns back and dishes it to the point.

Reactions: will1066

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Gauthier is starting to get it between the ears. He's generating chances with his speed and size, but he's also playing much better in his own end. He's doing a much stronger job of tracking his man in his own end and isn't skating around without a clue in the neutral zone. Hopefully he can keep building on that foundation and can climb his way up to the third line.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Gotta be honest, he looked better than Kreider out there in the last game. That's how Kreider should be playing - driving to the net and creating chaos.

Reactions: Cmox and Cag29

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
Gotta be honest, he looked better than Kreider out there in the last game. That's how Kreider should be playing - driving to the net and creating chaos.
This has been Kreider's schtick his entire career. Has the ability to drive to the net and get on the inside of the D going in, but too often curls away. It's only when theres enough separation between him and the defender does go to the net. So frustrating given his size and speed.

Reway10

Feb 24, 2020
Slovakia

This. Kreider has been beyond useless recently, he should be in bottom 6

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I think they are trying to bury him so his next contract will be (close to) league minimum. He’s up at the end of the season.
Serious question; Does that shit really happen? If so, thats a pretty shitty thing to do, and doesnt BEHOOVE the player nor the team thats trying to win.
What if his capabilities are being a solid PK'er, an actual on ice presence and scoring 10-15 a year? Would that be a bad thing?

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Yeah, caught that too, he easily should have said; "yeah that's what he was doing in his limited playing time last year and it worked for him, put a couple of goals in here and there and that would do the Rangers just fine.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Really hopes he makes driving to the net with the puck a habit.

With his size, speed and skill it’s almost impossible for someone to stop him unless they take a penalty.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Thought he looked excellent again last night
Me too. He’s starting to use all those physical tools he has more. You can see the confidence shift after he got that goal. I honestly would like to see him on 3rd line a little more. Kid scored 40 goals in the A. You can’t do that if your hands are made of pure stone. I hope Quinn rewards him and gives him a few games on third line with more talented players. Just my 2 cents

Cag29

94! I’m ready for more! LGR!
Jul 18, 2018
Agreed. Maybe we should try these combos when Fil is back:
Bread. Zibby. Buch
Laf. Chytil. KK
Kreider. Strome. Gauthier
Lemmy. Rooney. Blackwell.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I’d be happy to see
LaF -Chytil- Gauthier for a little as well. I think those 2 guys may be able to give LaF a little more open space

Reactions: Cag29

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I’d be happy to see
LaF -Chytil- Gauthier for a little as well. I think those 2 guys may be able to give LaF a little more open space
Yes, at least for a little while. I think I expressed that combo some time ago. 2 HUGE guys with talent, AND an extremely talented Laf. With the TALENT he has (and still unleashed) he wont be needing those 2 to get him room.
Lets face it, Quinn has his work cut out for him. Losing Chytil, didnt help......but in the LONG RUN, it will. Desperses minutes elsewhere, and I absolutely cannot wait, till he comes back.
WHY? He will have processed (via video) of what he has been doing recently BEFORE injury. Well rested, so I would think he will be slow for a game or 2, but then watch the hell out NHL!
This is HIS year, to really getting it going on what he can do.
Its funny, because everyone has been clamouring for him to make his mark, and he kind of was......and then, Rangers luck.
He can be a Kreider PLUS just a little more actual talent.
P.S. Hope he's working on faceoffs. Lol. If he steps it up in that department, then Zbad had better BOLO. Haha.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Agreed. Maybe we should try these combos when Fil is back:
Bread. Zibby. Buch
Laf. Chytil. KK
Kreider. Strome. Gauthier
Lemmy. Rooney. Blackwell.
I like this, but can I add a tweak?

Bread-Zib-Buch
Laf-Strome-Kakko
Kreider-Chytil-Gauthier
Lemmy-Rooney-Blackwell

I think Kakko and Laf could use a more veteran presence on the line with Strome. I also think Chytil, Kreider, and Gauthier all play a similar game - a lot of speed, size and rushes. Chytil and Gauthier would both help Kreider keep his game going North-South rather than East-West.

And if anyone could get Zibanejad and Buch to finish more, it's Panarin. So yea, I completely agree it's time to put together that line.

Reactions: Cag29

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad