Player Discussion Julien Gauthier

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
because we have a wrong coach for developing young players? He has his selfish agenda going. He used us and the Rangers as a stepping stone for his lousy career.
Honestly, I am not a fan of Quinn either, but I don't envy the tough choices he has to make in terms of lines and who to scratch. We have so many good players. If you don't scratch Gauthier, then you scratch Kravtsov. And if you don't scratch Kravtsov, then you scratch Gauthier. It's kind of lose-lose if you are the coach. And you could scratch Blackwell, Rooney, and PDG but they have been maybe our most effective forecheckers.

My issue with Quinn has a lot more to do with the actual "coaching" part where he doesn't seem to help players improve. I have seen a lot of bad habits from a lot of our young players that never seem to get corrected. It's the coach's responsibility to sit the players down in front of tape and point them out to them and help them fix these habits. But from what I haver seen there is not that says that is actually being done.

For example Gauthier has the speed and body to be good on the forecheck. To get in on that loose puck, use his body and retrieve it. But he never does that. And I don't blame Gauthier on that. I blame the coaching staff that doesn't drill it in his head to go and do that consistently. Same thing with Laf's lack of engagement and weak effort on pucks. How the coaching staff is not in his ear constantly about that is beyond me. That's hockey 101 man.

Last edited:

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Honestly, I am not a fan of Quinn either, but I don't pity the tough choices he has to make in terms of lines and who to scratch. We have so many good players. If you don't scratch Gauthier, then you scratch Kravtsov. And if you don't scratch Kravtsov, then you scratch Gauthier. It's kind of lose-lose if you are the coach. And you could scratch Blackwell, Rooney, and PDG but they have been maybe our most effective forecheckers.

My issue with Quinn has a lot more to do with the actual "coaching" part where he doesn't seem to help players improve. I have seen a lot of bad habits from a lot of our young players that never seem to get corrected. It's the coach's responsibility to sit the players down in front of tape and point them out to them and help them fix these habits. But from what I haver seen there is not that says that is actually being done.

For example Gauthier has the speed and body to be good on the forecheck. To get in on that loose puck, use his body and retrieve it. But he never does that. And I don't blame Gauthier on that. I blame the coaching staff that doesn't drill it in his head to go and do that consistently. Same thing with Laf's lack of engagement and weak effort on pucks. How the coaching staff is not in his ear constantly about that is beyond me. That's hockey 101 man.
There’s also the (lack of) in game adjustments. We seem like the team that gets adjusted to more often than not. And by adjustments, I don’t mean throwing the lines in a blender and praying.

Gauthier, to me, is clearly a really nice piece. He’s an ideal third liner that can play up when necessary. He is capable of more with the puck than any of the journeyman he’s fighting against in the bottom six. He should not be competing for a job at all in my opinion, he’s clearly deserving of being in the lineup every day.

Reactions: BobSantos

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
This isnt a matter of Lemieux vs Gauthier for me. At least not for playing time because with the players out, they are both on the 4th line. The difference is Lemieux gets the PP2 time which is some next level braindead coaching by DQ. Thats my issue. You have a big, strong, fast, physical kid with great hands and you cant justify putting him on the 2nd PP unit? What?
Strong? Sure. Fast? Yes. Physical? Not at all. Great hands? Really? What shows that?

Edit: I just realized that was posted from about a month ago.

Last edited:

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Strong? Sure. Fast? Yes. Physical? Not at all. Great hands? Really? What shows that?

Edit: I just realized that was posted from about a month ago.
You really went back and got this one.

But anyways, what shows you he isn’t physical? In his extremely limited TOI, he is averaging about 2 hits per game. He certainly knocks opposing players over with his size and strength. Comparatively Lemieux has only 15 more hits than him this season. You have Gauthier out there who is probably terrified of making mistakes with this Coach. He is getting scratched again for what? For a good game? For PDG??

Kid has a good shot. He has good hands. As I have said he has had some bad luck with at least 2 posts. What makes you say he doesnt have good hands? What makes you think he couldnt have been the net front guy on the PP2? That role is very well suited for him.

Just say you dont like Gauthier rather than saying he isnt physical or he doesnt have good hands.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
You really went back and got this one.

But anyways, what shows you he isn’t physical? In his extremely limited TOI, he is averaging about 2 hits per game. He certainly knocks opposing players over with his size and strength. Comparatively Lemieux has only 15 more hits than him this season. You have Gauthier out there who is probably terrified of making mistakes with this Coach. He is getting scratched again for what? For a good game? For PDG??

Kid has a good shot. He has good hands. As I have said he has had some bad luck with at least 2 posts. What makes you say he doesnt have good hands? What makes you think he couldnt have been the net front guy on the PP2? That role is very well suited for him.

Just say you dont like Gauthier rather than saying he isnt physical or he doesnt have good hands.
I actually thought it was recent, to be honest.

What shows me he is not physical? His play. Or said differently, he is physical like Nash was. He will use his body to advance the puck and shield players, but he is not the one throwing a physical body check.

Why is he getting scratched? Because to keep Kravstov in the lineup, he or PDG had to sit. Guess he drew the short straw.

What makes me think he doe snot have good hands is the lack of offensive generation he does.

I like him just fine. But I have yet to see him put it all together. He has been making progress, but ultimately not enough there to hang the hat on.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I actually thought it was recent, to be honest.

What shows me he is not physical? His play. Or said differently, he is physical like Nash was. He will use his body to advance the puck and shield players, but he is not the one throwing a physical body check.

Why is he getting scratched? Because to keep Kravstov in the lineup, he or PDG had to sit. Guess he drew the short straw.

What makes me think he doe snot have good hands is the lack of offensive generation he does.

I like him just fine. But I have yet to see him put it all together. He has been making progress, but ultimately not enough there to hang the hat on.
So you just dismiss his average of 2 hits per game while averaging only 9 minutes of ice time (which was even lower until the last 2-3 weeks). You’re saying he didn’t initiate the contact? And I am sorry, but using your size/speed/strength to bully your way around defenders is a product of playing physical. Now that doesn’t count? ESPECIALLY when pretty much no one else plays that way on this team?

It certainly feels like Quinn has them drawing straws, which is a part of the problem. Like everything else with Quinn coached teams, there is no consistency. PDG should not be playing at this point.

He does generate offense and chances. I really dont know what else to tell you. Again, in the extremely limited time he has on the ice, the play finds its way towards the front of the net. Could be a pass from behind the net after winning a puck battle that he creates, could be snapping a shot, could just be him driving towards the net around the edge. The production is light but again... it is 9-10 minutes per game. Sometimes less.

His defensive and all around game is improving. He has drawn quite a few penalties. There is more of a future with Gauthier. Or at least there is potential there. Why the hell are we playing PDG in a year that is considered a developmental/progress year? It doesnt make any sense. If Quinn wanted to make the playoffs he should have had his team prepared and ready to play on a more consistent basis throughout the year. Not sacrifice his youth for a lame playoff run because the team is behind the 8 ball from his wonderful ability to get the most out of his team

Last edited:

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
So you just dismiss his average of 2 hits per game while averaging only 9 minutes of ice time (which was even lower until the last 2-3 weeks). You’re saying he didn’t initiate the contact? And I am sorry, but using your size/speed/strength to bully your way around defenders is a product of playing physical. Now that doesn’t count? ESPECIALLY when pretty much no one else plays that way on this team?
Some things that are counted as hits for stats that are not even close to being as much as breathed on. Look at the game. When was the last time he actually threw a hit?

When I think of physical play, not I just do not focus on using your size speed combination to get through bodies. That is exactly what I refer to when I am talking about Rick Nash. So if you believe that Nash was a physical player, then you also believe that Gauthier is. Which is fine, but I do not share that conclusion.
It certainly feels like Quinn has them drawing straws, which is a part of the problem. Like everything else with Quinn coached teams, there is no consistency. PDG should not be playing at this point.
In the abstract, I agree with you that PDG should be the one sitting. But then that comes down as to who plays the role of a 4th liner better? PDG, does use his body for something besides trying to go around defenders. Gauthier does not. That is simply just not the player that he is. So perhaps that is what is being searched for on the 4th line?
He does generate offense and chances. I really dont know what else to tell you. Again, in the extremely limited time he has on the ice, the play finds its way towards the front of the net. Could be a pass from behind the net after winning a puck battle that he creates, could be snapping a shot, could just be him driving towards the net around the edge. The production is light but again... it is 9-10 minutes per game. Sometimes less.
Gauthier's play has gotten noticeably better, ever so slowly. Which is an example of the coaching staff working with him. And yes, he gets little ice time. But I would like to see a lot more. And I wind up seeing less. But again, it would be foolish to say that his game has not improved.
His defensive and all around game is improving. He has drawn quite a few penalties. There is more of a future with Gauthier. Or at least there is potential there. Why the hell are we playing PDG in a year that is considered a developmental/progress year? It doesnt make any sense. If Quinn wanted to make the playoffs he should have had his team prepared and ready to play on a more consistent basis throughout the year. Not sacrifice his youth for a lame playoff run because the team is behind the 8 ball from his wonderful ability to get the most out of his team
PDG does not really matter for the future. To be hones, I am not sure of how long Gauthier is for the team either. He has to crack the top 3 RW to be a part of the future. As of right now, while Buchnevich is here, I do not see that as a long term solution. Heck, he may not be in the family picture for long even if Buchevich is not here.

I like enough of him to want to see more and, gun to head, would probably rather see him instead of PDG, but for what he (Gauthier) is currently bringing to the table, it is just not that much of a big deal to me.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Some things that are counted as hits for stats that are not even close to being as much as breathed on. Look at the game. When was the last time he actually threw a hit?

When I think of physical play, not I just do not focus on using your size speed combination to get through bodies. That is exactly what I refer to when I am talking about Rick Nash. So if you believe that Nash was a physical player, then you also believe that Gauthier is. Which is fine, but I do not share that conclusion.

In the abstract, I agree with you that PDG should be the one sitting. But then that comes down as to who plays the role of a 4th liner better? PDG, does use his body for something besides trying to go around defenders. Gauthier does not. That is simply just not the player that he is. So perhaps that is what is being searched for on the 4th line?

Gauthier's play has gotten noticeably better, ever so slowly. Which is an example of the coaching staff working with him. And yes, he gets little ice time. But I would like to see a lot more. And I wind up seeing less. But again, it would be foolish to say that his game has not improved.

PDG does not really matter for the future. To be hones, I am not sure of how long Gauthier is for the team either. He has to crack the top 3 RW to be a part of the future. As of right now, while Buchnevich is here, I do not see that as a long term solution. Heck, he may not be in the family picture for long even if Buchevich is not here.

I like enough of him to want to see more and, gun to head, would probably rather see him instead of PDG, but for what he (Gauthier) is currently bringing to the table, it is just not that much of a big deal to me.

I think if the it comes down to a PDG v Gauthier choice, the tie goes to Gauthier—if for no other reason than the assists given up to get him, his pedigree and age.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I think if the it comes down to a PDG v Gauthier choice, the tie goes to Gauthier—if for no other reason than the assists given up to get him, his pedigree and age.
I agree. But if he does not start on the 4th line, I believe it will be for the reasons that I have stated; namely the coaching staff believes that even someone like PDG brings more to a 4th line role.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I agree. But if he does not start on the 4th line, I believe it will be for the reasons that I have stated; namely the coaching staff believes that even someone like PDG brings more to a 4th line role.
He did lead the AHL in scoring so he does have some decent hands. His smart shot the other day was the reason LaF got a juicy rebound goal. I just think he takes a hair too long to get it off. Kind of like JT Miller had when here. I’d love to see him drive to the rack more but kreider didn’t do this too well early in his career either. Hopefully he’s working with him at practice. I honestly feel bad for the kid. He should be playing more not less.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY

Cmon, youre acting like half of his hits dont count. I mean yeah here and there the statkeepers are generous with certain things, but out of his 50 hits maybe 5 are questionable? If that. He plays just about 9-10 minutes per game and averages 2 hits per game. I dont know what more you expect. Comparatively, the “more physical” PDG has 70 hits, averaging 11+ minutes per ice time.

I do think Nash played a physical game as needed. He was more calculated about it but he imposed himself on defenders when he had to. Gauthier is similar in some regards. I dont see anything wrong with that or why we are being so critical of how he chooses to be physical, so long as it benefits the team.

My big issue here is, Gauthier is the future (or at least potential future) and PDG is a plug who is 27 years old, an AHL/NHL tweener type. I also simply do not think the gap in defensive play between PDG and Gauthier is that much. I dont think its a big margin. Needle not moving much. So for me, I would much rather what Gauthier can possibly bring offensively on a given shift than PDG. And in the event of an injury, or need for a change in game, you have a more potent offensive player you can move up in Gauthier than PDG.

Its just really, really bad personnel management. But this not surprising, its nothing new with this coaching staff. Gauthier is an asset wasting away here.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
He did lead the AHL in scoring so he does have some decent hands. His smart shot the other day was the reason LaF got a juicy rebound goal. I just think he takes a hair too long to get it off. Kind of like JT Miller had when here. I’d love to see him drive to the rack more but kreider didn’t do this too well early in his career either. Hopefully he’s working with him at practice. I honestly feel bad for the kid. He should be playing more not less.
He has consistently scored everywhere he has been. Except the NHL. It is not like we have never seen AAAA players before.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Cmon, youre acting like half of his hits dont count. I mean yeah here and there the statkeepers are generous with certain things, but out of his 50 hits maybe 5 are questionable? If that. He plays just about 9-10 minutes per game and averages 2 hits per game. I dont know what more you expect. Comparatively, the “more physical” PDG has 70 hits, averaging 11+ minutes per ice time.

I do think Nash played a physical game as needed. He was more calculated about it but he imposed himself on defenders when he had to. Gauthier is similar in some regards. I dont see anything wrong with that or why we are being so critical of how he chooses to be physical, so long as it benefits the team.
What I mean is that while his hits may count in stats, in the eye test, he does not really have any. Yes, in that sense, PDG is a much more physical player.

I am expecting to see someone that big to know how to throw a hit. Look at a hit like a Hathaway would throw. Is it necessary? No. But that is what I mean that he is physical in the way that Rick Nash was physical. So again, if you thought that Nash was physical, then sure, Gauthier is as well.

I am not telling you that is right or wrong. But using your body to get through opponents is much different than using your body as a forward to help wear down the defense.
My big issue here is, Gauthier is the future (or at least potential future) and PDG is a plug who is 27 years old, an AHL/NHL tweener type. I also simply do not think the gap in defensive play between PDG and Gauthier is that much. I dont think its a big margin. Needle not moving much. So for me, I would much rather what Gauthier can possibly bring offensively on a given shift than PDG. And in the event of an injury, or need for a change in game, you have a more potent offensive player you can move up in Gauthier than PDG.
Maybe that is the disconnect. When I think of the future of the right side, names like Buchnevich, Kakko, Kravstov are what comes to mind. Not Gauthier. Which means he has to change his game to fit what the bottom 6 needs. He has started to, but as of yet still leaves lots to be desired to me.
Its just really, really bad personnel management. But this not surprising, its nothing new with this coaching staff. Gauthier is an asset wasting away here.
Or maybe his play just has not warranted a bigger role. So when it comes time to decide if it is he or PDG on the 4th line, it is just not that big of a deal to me.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
He has consistently scored everywhere he has been. Except the NHL. It is not like we have never seen AAAA players before.
True. Just rare to have 1 so big and fast. Kind of reminds me of a more skilled faster version of Boyle but more talented. The book on boyle was he was a big man that never panned out and didn’t play very physical throwing his body around. But when he matured with the rangers he played a more abrasive style. Still not a heavy hitter but he carved out a niche as a good 4th liner. I think Gauthier can do the same on 3rd line and maybe even be a 20 goal PK guy

Last edited:

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
True. Just rare to have 1 so big and fast. Kind of reminds me of a more skilled faster version of Boyle but more talented. The book on boyle was he was a big man that never panned our and didn’t play very physical throwing his body around. But when he matured with the rangers he played a more abrasive style. Still not a heavy hitter but he carved out a niche as a good 4th liner. I think Gauthier can do the same on 3rd line and maybe even be a 20 goal PK guy
That is a solid example. But for that role, I am actually thinking of Barron.

I get the fascination with Gauthier. How can you not? In football terminology, he looks great getting off the bus. And then you watch him fly on the ice with his speed. But then you see the players ahead of him start to put it together much faster. And I have long believed that the way he plays the game and his mentality is not meant for a bottom-6 support player. At least not the type that this team needs.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I know we're all on the Kravtsov bandwagon right now and rightfully so.

I still want Gauthier in the lineup, he was looking pretty good himself and didn't really deserve to be scratched.

same here. Maybe just maybe he would fit into nicely with Rooney and Kravtsov. Maybe Kravtsov’s ability to make some plays in the ozone along with Gauthier’s size and ability to get to the net may mesh?
Unfortunately the coach doesn’t trust him enough for a stretch long enough for us to see it

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I'd happily scratch Howden for the rest of the year to keep Gaut in but honestly I just don't feel like this org has confidence in him. He's probably claimed by Seattle at this point.

Reactions: Off Sides and Sayba

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Coaches love predictable nothing players. They feel more comfortable with predictable nothing players than unpredictable something players, hence Howden is in over Gauthier.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad