Player Discussion Julien Gauthier

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
I gotta admit I was a big Keane fan but I was fine with the trade because we have so many defensive prospects that it gave us the opportunity to sacrifice one of them for a type of player we don’t have in the farm. Obviously I wanted Kreider to resign so it’s the best of both worlds

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Through 4 games with us he is averaging 6.9 minutes per game. Quinn is a strange one. I know he likes everyone to earn their time but there’s just really not a whole lot this kid can show us with those kinds of minutes. I’d like to see more of him.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I feel pretty okay starting Gauthier out this way as he learns a new system and (really) transitions to the NHL level. It's almost easy to forget that while Gauthier had almost nothing left to prove offensively at the AHL level, he's only played a total of 9 NHL games in his career --- 4 of them with us.

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
Yeah the kid is very new to the NHL. I understand fans want kids just to come in and play Big minutes right away but it’s better for them to ease into it.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I feel pretty okay starting Gauthier out this way as he learns a new system and (really) transitions to the NHL level. It's almost easy to forget that while Gauthier had almost nothing left to prove offensively at the AHL level, he's only played a total of 9 NHL games in his career --- 4 of them with us.

I’m fine with breaking kids in slowly. I’m not pushing for him to “get a shot” in the top six or anything like that but I also believe that literally averaging less than 7 minutes per game is almost detrimental. He’s not really taking a regular shift. He has very little opportunity to get his game going or even show what his strengths or weaknesses are. 9-10 minutes would be fine. At least let him get his legs going. 7 minutes or less any longer than 5-6 games, in my opinion, is actually detrimental to a player’s confidence.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
It’s pretty impressive that through 4 games playing only 5:25-7:40 minutes he drew a penalty & a penalty shot. Liked the few power moves to the net as well

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Through 4 games with us he is averaging 6.9 minutes per game. Quinn is a strange one. I know he likes everyone to earn their time but there’s just really not a whole lot this kid can show us with those kinds of minutes. I’d like to see more of him.
Moving Chytil to wing rather than moving up Kakko to the T6 and Gauthier to the 3L in Buch's absence annoys me. I get that Kakko might not be the best fit for the 2-way Zibanejad line, but just move Fast there and put Kakko with Panarin where he played very well earlier in the season. KZF has always been a great line.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I'd give him a look ahead of Howden (obviously) and Lemieux. I love Lemieux but I just don't think he's that great of an actual hockey player. I don't know how you construct the lines, but I'm cool with him getting a look in a bigger role.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
I'd give him a look ahead of Howden (obviously) and Lemieux. I love Lemieux but I just don't think he's that great of an actual hockey player. I don't know how you construct the lines, but I'm cool with him getting a look in a bigger role.
I think Lemieux has worked very well as a complementary winger, but he's not really been put into a position to succeed this season. I think he'd do well in PDG's spot with Chytil and Kakko when we are healthy. He's played half his 5v5 TOI with Howden with poor results, but Howden has done significantly worse away from him.

TheGortonConspiracy

Wow its a nice GM
May 2, 2017
NYC

All I’m saying for now is, it looks like Zibby likes Goat, Quinn even put them together, and really good players are often really good talent evaluators

Reactions: dangsLITE

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I think Lemieux has worked very well as a complementary winger, but he's not really been put into a position to succeed this season. I think he'd do well in PDG's spot with Chytil and Kakko when we are healthy. He's played half his 5v5 TOI with Howden with poor results, but Howden has done significantly worse away from him.
PDG has transformed that 3rd line into something that is serviceable on both sides of the puck. He has helped in the defensive end when that line is on the ice. He retrieves pucks better offensively, gets pucks deep, and really just uses his leg to push the play and defenders back which has opened a little more room for the other two. Lemieux cannot do some of those things.

I love Lemieux, but his ceiling is a 3rd line player. Being on the 4th line is not inconceivable for him. I understand what @nyr2k2 is trying to say. He isnt a smooth player. His coordination isnt great. Not a great puck handler...pucks are constantly getting away from him as he skates with it. He drops his stick a ton. Looks off balance at times. Its not necessarily a knock on him, he is what he is. I hate seeing him on PP2. I hope in time Gauthier gets a look there instead of him. Much better hands. You can see the talent is there. The size, speed, and ability.

Was that Gauthier’s first assist tonight? I definitely would like to see him get 3-4 minutes more per night. But @Edge is right in that he has barely played in the NHL and is also adjusting to a new system. In addition the team is rolling, DQ is not going to rush Gauthier in a position to fail. Heck, he has managed Kakko’s time all year very similarly, residing mainly on the 3rd line.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
PDG has transformed that 3rd line into something that is serviceable on both sides of the puck. He has helped in the defensive end when that line is on the ice. He retrieves pucks better offensively, gets pucks deep, and really just uses his leg to push the play and defenders back which has opened a little more room for the other two. Lemieux cannot do some of those things.

I love Lemieux, but his ceiling is a 3rd line player. Being on the 4th line is not inconceivable for him. I understand what @nyr2k2 is trying to say. He isnt a smooth player. His coordination isnt great. Not a great puck handler...pucks are constantly getting away from him as he skates with it. He drops his stick a ton. Looks off balance at times. Its not necessarily a knock on him, he is what he is. I hate seeing him on PP2. I hope in time Gauthier gets a look there instead of him. Much better hands. You can see the talent is there. The size, speed, and ability.

Was that Gauthier’s first assist tonight? I definitely would like to see him get 3-4 minutes more per night. But @Edge is right in that he has barely played in the NHL and is also adjusting to a new system. In addition the team is rolling, DQ is not going to rush Gauthier in a position to fail. Heck, he has managed Kakko’s time all year very similarly, residing mainly on the 3rd line.
Yeah, look, I really like Lemieux. But his offensive game is rough. He does some things well, but other times you're like, yeah, great fourth liner, mediocre third liner, that's it. He can but put into specific situations where he really succeeds, but as far as regular shifts he should be a bit limited. Put him out there when his unique talents are really needed but otherwise okay him on the fourth line.

Not a criticism. Again, good player. Just don't ask too much from him because the skill isn't there.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Yeah, look, I really like Lemieux. But his offensive game is rough. He does some things well, but other times you're like, yeah, great fourth liner, mediocre third liner, that's it. He can but put into specific situations where he really succeeds, but as far as regular shifts he should be a bit limited. Put him out there when his unique talents are really needed but otherwise okay him on the fourth line.

Not a criticism. Again, good player. Just don't ask too much from him because the skill isn't there.

My biggest disappointment of the season is probably Lemieux. I expected more.

I think he is a guy that can take a fairly big step physically. Get a little lighter, be able to come in on the forecheck a little faster and so forth.

Reactions: TheGortonConspiracy

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

Lemieux is one of those player who is easy to fall in love, but the downside is that it's also easy to over-project the offense.

I think, in the right situation, Lemieux can get into that 15 goal/35 point range. But I also feel that his offense, and just about every level he's played, has never quite matched the hope. There's always this feeling that it should be just a little more, and there's not quite a clear reason why. And I think some of that, which jives with what you're saying, is why the Rangers are his third franchise. He's intriguing, and he does some very unique things, but there's always this feeling that he's not quite the player you think he should be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad