Player Discussion Julien Gauthier

GunkWinger

Oct 21, 2008
CT
Seems like he's going through the same process that young players went through (like Buch) under Quinn. Im not worried yet. I liked the offense he showed first few games (hit posts if I remember) and clearly the coaching staff are trying to get him to play a more pro game. He'll be a better player for it if he puts in the work they're asking of him.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I've watched Gauthier a couple games with the Rangers and see the same problems he had in getting in the line-up in Carolina. The cubic zirconia comment above is a perfect analogy and exactly how many of us saw it. The guy tantalized us with his size, speed and shot and we envisioned him being that RH power forward we had so long gone without in Carolina. Some even wanted him in the line-up last year over Necas. He only played in a handful of games in Carolina, but between those, pre-season and training camps, he never showed enough offensive talent to be a top 6 forward and he often looks lost out there away from the puck, in all zones. That's the main reason he didn't get much NHL time in Carolina.

He's big, strong and fast so if he can learn how to use that size and speed and learn how to play well away from the puck, he has a shot to be an NHLr. If he can't, then he will struggle to fill a role in the NHL.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Hard to convince your coach you deserve more than 6 minutes a game when he (Gauthier) absolutely sucks.

It's not that Gauthier played bad. Certainly not bad enough to be scratched (in my opinion). But when Blackwell and Rooney enter the line-up in your spot and play better, more noticeable, it will be hard to get your spot in the line-up back.

Blackwell and Chytil being out with injuries gives him a second chance but I think it would have been hard for him to fight his way back into the line up based on merit

Reactions: nyr2k2

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Blackwell and Chytil being out with injuries gives him a second chance but I think it would have been hard for him to fight his way back into the line up based on merit
But then it would behoove him to make the most of his time, the way that both Blackwell and Rooney have. So yeah, it will be difficult, but it is a non-starter (at least to me) if your play does not even come close to other players who have been pressed into starter duty. I would not have thought, and this is in no way disparaging to either Blackwell or Rooney as they have played very well, that asking Gauthier to simply match their level of play would have been so difficult for him. But it clearly has been.

Reactions: Unusual Suspect

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
To pile on the points already presented, if you are barely scratching 4th line and can't be used on the PK or PP you really limit your usefulness in the lineup.

I would love it if we could limit some of Ziba's PK minutes and rely on our bottom 6 to pick up the slack there so Ziba isn't playing 24+ minutes a game but this roster isn't set up for that just yet.

Reactions: maris

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
It's not that Gauthier played bad. Certainly not bad enough to be scratched (in my opinion). But when Blackwell and Rooney enter the line-up in your spot and play better, more noticeable, it will be hard to get your spot in the line-up back.

That's the thing--and it was like this for Lias (who I always defended) as well: if you're "stuck" on the fourth line you really need to get the f*** over it and do your best to do something noticeable on every shift. If you don't, you can rest assured that someone else will come in, who knows they're not going to be a star, and is more than willing to play that 4th line role. And they'll force you right out of the lineup.

I don't think Gauthier is bad, he just doesn't seem to understand what he needs to do to be successful. And before it's all pinned on the coaches, plenty of guys in his situation figure it out on their own, or without the coaches. He hasn't figured it out and the clock is ticking.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
That's the thing--and it was like this for Lias (who I always defended) as well: if you're "stuck" on the fourth line you really need to get the f*** over it and do your best to do something noticeable on every shift. If you don't, you can rest assured that someone else will come in, who knows they're not going to be a star, and is more than willing to play that 4th line role. And they'll force you right out of the lineup.

I don't think Gauthier is bad, he just doesn't seem to understand what he needs to do to be successful. And before it's all pinned on the coaches, plenty of guys in his situation figure it out on their own, or without the coaches. He hasn't figured it out and the clock is ticking.
That is it, in a nutshell. Want to be noticed by coaches? Do SOMETHING. Want to force the coaches to play you like Blackwell and Rooney have? Do SOMETHING. I guarantee you those two do not suffer delusions of grandeur as to what type of play they need to bring if they want to be called NHL players.

Reactions: Anthony5967

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
It's been a lot of tools but no toolbox so far. The size, the skating, all the AHL goals--it all looks pretty but some kind of positive results would be nice. Maybe he just needs a couple breaks but so far I haven't seen enough from him. When we do see guys like Blackwell or DiGiuseppe more involved in the action it's hard to justify playing Gauthier ahead of them. He's not been one of our 12 best forwards. Brendan Smith is arguably a better forward than he is. It would help if he played a more physical game.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Seems like he's going through the same process that young players went through (like Buch) under Quinn. Im not worried yet. I liked the offense he showed first few games (hit posts if I remember) and clearly the coaching staff are trying to get him to play a more pro game. He'll be a better player for it if he puts in the work they're asking of him.

I wouldn't say he's been ineffective at all. But it's one of those things where you want to see some more numbers across the board, and hustle some more, and really just hear and feel the impact, he doesn't have to concuss guys, but just use his speed to get in position to cause a turnover, lean on them when them have the puck, take the puck, get the apple, or get open for the goal, and do this in all three zones.

He's been the low post man on a couple of scrappy garbage goals. At his size, he has outstanding balance and can park himself and be pretty effective, if he rounds out the rest, that's an effective player.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
I'd say at 6-4 225, there's no reason he can't forecheck and give as much effort as a Blackwell or Rooney or PDG do. Imagine if Gauthier played shifts like PDG? Give PDG Gauthier's skills and he'd be a monster. Gauthier should be playing shifts as Tom Wilson does. Need to be more noticable. We see it in flashes.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT

Agreed.

Hes not done anything to impress me at any aspect of the game.

Nothing

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
So, I know I'm a Gauthier booster, and there is a current narrative on the board that Quinn is somehow terrible at player development, but surely I am not alone in noticing the trend with him this season?

- Starts out trying to play the game that made him a big time scorer in junior/the AHL, has nothing to show for it.

- Sits for five games.

- Comes back clearly hyper aware of where he's supposed to be on the ice, and winds up a step slow and tentative, one of the worst players on the ice.

- Plays the same game, but is not as slow to react and a bit more assertive on the puck. Looks fine, but nothing special as a bottom sixer.

- Again focusing on a bottom/middle-six game, is noticeably quicker and makes multiple impactful plays. Easily his best game as a Ranger.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
So, I know I'm a Gauthier booster, and there is a current narrative on the board that Quinn is somehow terrible at player development, but surely I am not alone in noticing the trend with him this season?

- Starts out trying to play the game that made him a big time scorer in junior/the AHL, has nothing to show for it.

- Sits for five games.

- Comes back clearly hyper aware of where he's supposed to be on the ice, and winds up a step slow and tentative, one of the worst players on the ice.

- Plays the same game, but is not as slow to react and a bit more assertive on the puck. Looks fine, but nothing special as a bottom sixer.

- Again focusing on a bottom/middle-six game, is noticeably quicker and makes multiple impactful plays. Easily his best game as a Ranger.

He got a nice shoutout from Babcock last night as well. Thought he was real good on the backcheck. Got open for a one-timer. Thought he, and the entire line played like you would want them to.

The team as a whole missed the home plate, the Isles got far more volume there last night, and that was the difference. Very similar to game 2. Not going to lament this loss. Game of inches against a team that knows how to grind out wins, this time the Rangers came out on the other end of things.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
he lacks Hockey IQ. this really pissed me off last night, him opening up and making himself a target here on this really low quality shot.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
he lacks Hockey IQ. this really pissed me off last night, him opening up and making himself a target here on this really low quality shot.

Goal scorers who shoot the puck A LOT do that all the time. He was also expecting the pass to come straight across the ice, not stop at the middle guy there so he was already backing up.

I agree it's not a super high percentage shot, but people also clamor for more shots to be taken and he's not shy in that regard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad