Player Discussion Julien Gauthier

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
done with him tbh

his once a game shot out of a cannon shtick isn’t worth how bad he is defensively

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Hahaha. I thought he was awful last game, but better tonight (well, except for that one pass from the left wall to the right point that got picked off). Not world beating by any stretch of the imagination, but improved. :dunno:

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Yea tonight wasn't a problem whatsoever. If it was there is no way Quinn is putting him on the ice with like 3 min left.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Sucks because with his size and speed he would be a tremendous asset but I guess lots of guys with size and speed never figure it out

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Gauthier's pros and cons are about what I expected from him.

To some of the points raised on here, he's either going to transition to a middle/bottom six role where he can pop in some odd points, or he's going to be one of those journeymen first rounder types who eventually makes his way to Europe.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018

To some of the points raised on here, he's either going to transition to a middle/bottom six role where he can pop in some odd points, or he's going to be one of those journeymen first rounder types who eventually makes his way to Europe.

His NHL career is in serious trouble unless Rangers replace coaching staff or trade him soon.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I think Gauthier has his own work to do right now.

The kid has potential, but there's also a reason Carolina traded him for Joey Keane.

hard to do much when your coach clearly thinks you suck and gives you 6 minutes a game.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I think Gauthier has his own work to do right now.

The kid has potential, but there's also a reason Carolina traded him for Joey Keane.
Yeah, I was and continue to be a fan of the acquisition, but this is absolutely the right take. The good news is that he appears to be trying. Saw it last game, when he was clearly hyper aware of his positioning/assignment... and unfortunately, was consequently hesitant and a step slow in everything he did. Thought he was better this game, but still far from instinctive. Hopefully, he’s trending in the right direction. We shall see.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
The problem with Gauthier is that he's trying to play a finesse game when he isn't skilled enough. A guy with his size and speed should be terrorizing defensemen on the forecheck like Wilson. If he doesn't become more physical he'll be out of the league in short order.
Well, I think they’ve made the point to him that he needs to learn to play essentially a third line game, and after sitting for five, that’s what he’s been trying to do.

As I mentioned above, he looked stiff and slow at it last game. Thought he looked better, but still not natural this game.

The key is whether that progress continues, or he stalls somewhere short of the goal.

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
Well he can look at PDG as an example. You can be a career AHLer and think your game will someday break through in the NHL or realize you are just going to have to out work the other guy and simplify your game.

He isnt good enough for the top 6. He cant pk or be trusted in his own zone. Unless there is a rash of injuries I dont see him being any more than a taxi plug.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
The problem with Gauthier is that he's trying to play a finesse game when he isn't skilled enough. A guy with his size and speed should be terrorizing defensemen on the forecheck like Wilson. If he doesn't become more physical he'll be out of the league in short order.

He definitely needs to hit everything that moves to make a career in NHL at this point. Actually almost everybody should hit everything that moves.

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
I like the shot in the arm he gave the 4th line last year, but yeah, so far he isn’t very good. Skilled, but you need more than that. Also that fourth line comes to WORK. You gotta keep up with that.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

That is why I refer to him as our version of a cubic zirconia. He is actually less than meets the eye. And will be facing an "up or out" scenario. One assumes that as soon as Blackwell is ready, he is the first to go.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Yes, clearly the thing holding Gauthier back is the coaching staff. Of course. How could this have not been detected earlier?
So asinine.

Gauthier's biggest hope is the coaching staff. To @Tawnos's point in the Quinn thread, what I think we're seeing with Gauthier right now is Quinn and his staff breaking down what was his 1st line offensive game in juniors/the AHL and trying to get him to play the way that'll be successful as a middle sixer in the NHL. First game back after his two-week absence he looked hesitant and a step slow, thinking about what he was supposed to be doing. Yesterday he looked better, but still not there. So, progress, but a ways to go.

Remains to be seen if he's a guy who can complete the process... or if he'll end up like Marcel Hossa in the KHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mac n Gs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad