Player Discussion Julien Gauthier

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Unless Dougie Hamilton walks, they are set on the right side. I dont see a clear path for him to the NHL there either. He is an injury call up option.

The value of Gauthier and where he currently is at in his progression was higher to the Rangers than where Joey Keane is at and the position he plays. This was still the right move and I believe Gauthier will be a solid 3rd line RWer for us, which is a homerun in a trade like that plus we need depth at the forward position

Hamilton and Pesce are constantly injured. Who is their 3rd RD?

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Someone said Gaulthier has low hockey IQ. Implies rocks for brains. The major league game is fast, so if you are unable to think fast, then despite whatever success you had in the A...

Shut your pie hole
Listen to what the HC and coaches tell you
Work on your reps after the coaching staff shows you what to do and how to do it
Apply in game, try not to be stupid
Rinse and repeat
Have long, fruitful NHL career

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
we did not get him free, Keane is a very solid prospect who put up 37 points in 58 AHL games in his 1st pro season as a Dman

Exactly, I think that's why he is going to get opportunities and long looks.

And if that produces the result he finds a niche as a tweener in the NHL, that would still be a solid return.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Lafreniere-Chytil-Gauthier... Soon to be New York Ranger Kid Line ! Hopefully they become as successful as Graves-Murphy-Gelinas and lead us towards a Cup...one can dream.

Last edited:
Reactions: McSauer and Trxjw

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
The thing with Gauthier is he’s got all the tools. Physical beast

but he’s gotta figure out a way to score not get chances score. Because he’s not good defensively. Not at all. And you aren’t going to play for Quinn if he doesn’t trust you Especially if you don’t produce. So he’s gotta figure out a way to put up enough points where his lack of defensive awareness is something you live with.

I’m not sure he can do that. I’m not sure he can’t either. Like I said he’s got all the tools and looks like if he played more he’d score but he’s not going to play more if he doesn’t defend.

Reactions: leetch99 and RGY

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
The thing with Gauthier is he’s got all the tools. Physical beast

but he’s gotta figure out a way to score not get chances score. Because he’s not good defensively. Not at all. And you aren’t going to play for Quinn if he doesn’t trust you Especially if you don’t produce. So he’s gotta figure out a way to put up enough points where his lack of defensive awareness is something you live with.

I’m not sure he can do that. I’m not sure he can’t either. Like I said he’s got all the tools and looks like if he played more he’d score but he’s not going to play more if he doesn’t defend.

Yeah I think 3 offensive lines with Laf is his chance to success and he also has to show improvement in his overall game without the puck.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
we should also keep in mind that he has played 17 career nhl games...5 before he got here. if a rookie winger wasn't strong defensively for his first month of games no one would be concerned. lets give him time. this is a big year for him imo

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
no, but the fact that you completely missed the point of what i said is fine....gauthier is a better prospect and further along then keane was and still is

apples and oranges. I am pretty sure it can be argued that Keane is a better prospect. Gauthier is 2 years older so obviously he is further along.

Quinnisinoverhishead

Oct 4, 2014
Gauthier need to be given an opportunity in the top 6. I don’t think he will get that with Quinn. Going to need a coaching change before that happens.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Gauthier need to be given an opportunity in the top 6. I don’t think he will get that with Quinn. Going to need a coaching change before that happens.

I'd love to see him in the top 6. That would mean he's either surpassed Buchnevich, or Buchnevich was traded. I'm fine with either scenario. There is another scenario where he surpasses Kakko, but I don't want to think about that one.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Chris Kreider was known as 'not a good defensive player'. So was Kevin Hayes.

kreider is still not a good defensive player lol. But as I said in my post if you prove you can score You live with it. Gauthier needs to put up some legit points. Because he’s not going to play otherwise due to his lack of defense

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
kreider is still not a good defensive player lol. But as I said in my post if you prove you can score You live with it. Gauthier needs to put up some legit points. Because he’s not going to play otherwise due to his lack of defense
Kreider is not a bad defensive player. He may not be the selection for killing penalties but he has come a long way since when he broke into the league. He is out there often defending leads late in games. Not selke worthy but not a black hole either

Reactions: leetch99

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Since a number of player discussion threads are getting bumped so we can shit on guys or doom post, I thought I'd bump a thread for someone who had a strong game last night.

I think Gauthier was one of the better players on the ice. Showed, good speed, willingness to battle, and a desire to get to the net. Thought he played even better after being promoted to the 2nd line with Panarin and Strome (neither of whom played particularly well, IMO). Hope to see more of the same as the season rolls on and that should translate into finally getting his first NHL goal.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
One positive from his game last night was Gauthier using his speed to beat a defender through the neutral zone and recover a loose puck in the offensive zone. He also had a nice transition where he carried the puck up the left wing and took it strongly to the front of the net.

He's not flashy, but I like the simplicity in how he plays a north-south game. His game needs some refinement (and puck luck), but I think he'll settle into a nice role here moving forward.

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
One positive from his game last night was Gauthier using his speed to beat a defender through the neutral zone and recover a loose puck in the offensive zone. He also had a nice transition where he carried the puck up the left wing and took it strongly to the front of the net.

He's not flashy, but I like the simplicity in how he plays a north-south game. His game needs some refinement (and puck luck), but I think he'll settle into a nice role here moving forward.

Totally agree, has a basic game, speed and strength with a nose for the net. I like 'em.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Thought Gauthier had a solid game, one of the few Rangers who did. Now i just read he was rewarded by being demoted to the 4th line tomorrow. Yup, that makes sense.

Reactions: CasusBelli

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Thought Gauthier had a solid game, one of the few Rangers who did. Now i just read he was rewarded by being demoted to the 4th line tomorrow. Yup, that makes sense.
upload_2021-1-16_0-52-45.jpeg

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->