Value of: JT Compher

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
But if the Avs grab a Stepan, Staal or Huala for mid round pick, that won’t surprise either of us.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Nothing is paramount. Jost can fill that roll right now, at least defensively. His metics in this regard are elite. Jost has elite defensive metrics. PEB has decent ones. Avs have no glaring holes amd Tampa, like all teams, has them. Tampa has all kinds of depth issues. Both in their bottom pair and bottom six.

If Jost is your 3C then you have glaring holes down the middle. Vegas / St. Louis appear to be better than the AVs thus far and TBL is in a whole different league compared to the rest. I would be shocked if TBL didn't repeat this year.

I would be shocked if the Avs go into the playoffs with either JTC / Jost as their 3C.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
If Jost is your 3C then you have glaring holes down the middle. Vegas / St. Louis appear to be better than the AVs thus far and TBL is in a whole different league compared to the rest. I would be shocked if TBL didn't repeat this year.

I would be shocked if the Avs go into the playoffs with either JTC / Jost as their 3C.

The Avs just beat Vegas on Tuesday, while missing Landeskog, Makar, Girard, Johnson, Jost, and Calvert .... and Vegas was only missing Nosek. :help:

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida

The hell are you talking about. The Avs beat St Louis 8:0 and just split a healthy Vegas squad on the road while themselves missing 5 key players. Avs team metrics are just outstanding this season and they haven’t been close to full health or full roster thanks to C19 absences.

If anything, the Avs have shown both St. Louis and Vegas how much better than are than those two squads in head to head matches.

Reactions: Richard88

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019

Vegas have worse C depth than Colorado. They don't even have a 1C. Avs problem at 3C is obviously an issue, but relative to other teams it isn't particularly insurmountable.

Reactions: ljb4

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Agreed. Haula is the right fit for this team IMO.
Haula hasn't played very well since leaving Vegas. He'd be a slightly underwhelming solution at 3C based on his current play. 0 goals and 4 assists in 14 games. With that production we might as well stick with Jost at 3C as he provides elite defense.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

ljb4

Feb 10, 2016
westminster Co
Compher has always played great in Chicago And they are short on center depth. Unfortunately, there isn't anything on their roster that is a good fit. Maybe Delia?

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Compher has always played great in Chicago And they are short on center depth. Unfortunately, there isn't anything on their roster that is a good fit. Maybe Delia?
How about Janmark + 4th for Compher?

Chicago get a hometown boy who's young enough to fit their rebuild.

Avs would get a cheap 4th line PKer on an expiring contract, though the real value would be the cap flexibility moving forward.

Reactions: ljb4

ljb4

Feb 10, 2016
westminster Co
How about Janmark + 4th for Compher?

Chicago get a hometown boy who's young enough to fit their rebuild.

Avs would get a cheap 4th line PKer on an expiring contract, though the real value would be the cap flexibility moving forward.
He could work. Carpenter would also fill a fourth line role. He has two years left, but at $1M per year he could be a 13th forward next season if need be.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
He could work. Carpenter would also fill a fourth line role. He has two years left, but at $1M per year he could be a 13th forward next season if need be.
The Avs were apparently close to signing Carpenter in 2019 but decided on Bellemare because Carpenter insisted on having some stability for him family with a 3rd year on the contract. Maybe he'd be a target if we move Bellemare for cap reasons but I don't think that's something Sakic would want to do.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Bumping this.

So I assume JTC's value is negative at $3.5M for the next two years and an extra million cash next year. HOWEVER, his buy cap hit next year is $333K next year and $1.33M, $5.33M real dollars total. So I peg his negative value at about a 3rd using the Maleau and Stall standards.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Compher is a Swiss Army knife of a player who isn’t really great at anything. Incredibly versatile but only moderately successful. For a rebuilding team, he’d fit in the middle 6. For a contender, he’s prob not worth the cost. He only works for Colorado right now is because they have the cap space.

He's new Kerfoot. He's not the kind of guy a contender should have ever considered signing for term.

Could be actually useful to a team sitting at the top of the cap space list. The trade would yield effectively nothing for the Avs. Somewhat like when the Avs acquired Soderberg from Boston for a 6th. More realistically, and to open open more trade opportunities, he'd be swapped out for another okay player on a similar contract in hopes that a change of scenery would spark one of them to be more than what they have been. Not really sure who that would be.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
He's new Kerfoot. He's not the kind of guy a contender should have ever considered signing for term.

Could be actually useful to a team sitting at the top of the cap space list. The trade would yield effectively nothing for the Avs. Somewhat like when the Avs acquired Soderberg from Boston for a 6th. More realistically, and to open open more trade opportunities, he'd be swapped out for another okay player on a similar contract in hopes that a change of scenery would spark one of them to be more than what they have been. Not really sure who that would be.

I suspect you’re right. A Cole for Pateryn type deal where the Avs trade a player of low value making a higher AAV for a lesser player, but with lower AAV or term.

interesting thread as Jost and Donskoi have increased their value and profile so much since the start of this season/thread. JTC has not IMO. I think his value remains nothing to negative. I’d gladly trade him this off-season for a conditional 7th round pick, but don’t think any team would offer that. Hence the bad contract swap discussed above.

Last edited:
Reactions: tucker3434

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
With that kind of term and AAV remaining, versus performance, he's probably going to be an Av for another year. They could probably then move or buy out the last year.

He's not bad, exactly, just not giving you full value. Few teams are without a guy who falls into this category, and if that's as bad as it gets, then you're doing alright.

Reactions: Perratrooper

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I could see the Avs retaining a $1mil
Bumping this.

So I assume JTC's value is negative at $3.5M for the next two years and an extra million cash next year. HOWEVER, his buy cap hit next year is $333K next year and $1.33M, $5.33M real dollars total. So I peg his negative value at about a 3rd using the Maleau and Stall standards.

His buyout is $333k, followed by 3 years at $1.33mil based on a June 15, 2021 buyout.

With that being said, I think the Avs could look into retaining $1-1.5mil on him. Saves the Avs $2-2.5mil and he’s off the books for both teams in 2 years vs 4. Compher at 2-2.5mil is also a lot closer to true value than at $3.5mil.

Reactions: AvsMakaw8

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
With that kind of term and AAV remaining, versus performance, he's probably going to be an Av for another year. They could probably then move or buy out the last year.

He's not bad, exactly, just not giving you full value. Few teams are without a guy who falls into this category, and if that's as bad as it gets, then you're doing alright.
He’s got two years at $3.5mm AAV left after this season. Not a brutal term or AAV, but he’s a dime a dozen bottom six player. Not much demand for the abundance of supply.

Reactions: John Mandalorian

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida

His buyout is $333k, followed by 3 years at $1.33mil based on a June 15, 2021 buyout.

With that being said, I think the Avs could look into retaining $1-1.5mil on him. Saves the Avs $2-2.5mil and he’s off the books for both teams in 2 years vs 4. Compher at 2-2.5mil is also a lot closer to true value than at $3.5mil.

Given EJ is the most likely Avs player to be bought out, I doubt a buyout is on Sakic’s radar for JTC. He’s still a roster player with an established role. If nothing else, JTC is usually available to play each night they have a game. He’s pretty durable.

hughdreamz

Jun 24, 2006
Michigan

Compher has had a down year but has shown he can be a productive bottom 6 guy. Teams should be interested in him at $2-2.5M

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
At the very least I would think Compher at $2-2.5mil might return a 6th or 7th

He's a capable PKer, leading all Avs forwards in SH TOI/GP this year, and has shown that he can score at just under 0.5 PPG in the NHL. If he weren't having a down year and had a cap hit of $2.5m, he'd probably be worth a 3rd or 4th.

Reactions: hughdreamz

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Given EJ is the most likely Avs player to be bought out, I doubt a buyout is on Sakic’s radar for JTC. He’s still a roster player with an established role. If nothing else, JTC is usually available to play each night they have a game. He’s pretty durable.
I think LTIR is much more likely with EJ.

Reactions: hughdreamz

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I think LTIR is much more likely with EJ.
That also seems reasonable but assumes he waives for the ED. If Avs need to use a protection slot for EJ, he’s getting bought out. The Avs won’t lose a player like Bura or Kadri to protect EJ.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I didn't realize I was responding to an old outdated post - please ignore.

It’s not like Habs fans had a feel for Mete’s value either. Which turned out to be zero in hindsight.

he was never negative value but I’m sure Habs fans didn’t expect to lose him for nothing going into this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad