Value of: JT Compher

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Just trying to gauge his value. He's been a 0.5 PPG center on the Avs, but would be a better fit as a winger.

Would any rebuilding teams be interested in him for basically free (i.e. Johnsson for Anderson swap). The Avs aren't desperate to move him, but Compher would probably be a better fit for a rebuilding team where he has potential to become a team vet for when they're ready to compete, as opposed to signing an older UFA.

This would allow the Avs to get an upgrade on Compher with the extra space.

Reactions: Richard88 and MarkT

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Avs aren’t Vegas, they don’t sign players to 3-4 year contracts and trade them because they didn’t turn out as great as fans wanted them to be. Like it or not compher is with the avs for at least two more seasons

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Avs aren’t Vegas, they don’t sign players to 3-4 year contracts and trade them because they didn’t turn out as great as fans wanted them to be. Like it or not compher is with the avs for at least two more seasons

I wouldn’t be surprised if they traded Donskoi or Compher. There’s kind of a logjam at wing even though depth will be more important this season.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Negative value for both JTC and Donskoi. Teams are not trading for these types unless they are unloading capdumps of their own. JTC and Donakoi in this market are 2.5 / 3M players.

too many better options still available that will likely be cheaper to sign.

Reactions: G Backup

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I doubt AVs trade Compher.

Contract is not significant enough like ie. Drouin being negative value. I expect him to remain on the team until Newhook arrives after next season. He’ll either shift to RW or replace PEB on the 4th line.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Compher has negative value?

I'm not sure why Colorado would consider trading him, but I would have to understand the reasoning as to why 25 year old right handed shot forward, who can and does play on the PP and PK, has negative value. We are talking about a 25 year old signed for $3.5M AAV for three more seasons. Stating that he have negative value seems like a stretch. Now, Colorado fans may have an unrealistic expectation regarding his market value in trade, but a negative value implies that you would have to essentially pay someone to take him.

Is Compher on par with Loui Eriksson regarding his contract and value now?

Reactions: Elbombatzo

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Compher has negative value?

I'm not sure why Colorado would consider trading him, but I would have to understand the reasoning as to why 25 year old right handed shot forward, who can and does play on the PP and PK, has negative value. We are talking about a 25 year old signed for $3.5M AAV for three more seasons. Stating that he have negative value seems like a stretch. Now, Colorado fans may have an unrealistic expectation regarding his market value in trade, but a negative value implies that you would have to essentially pay someone to take him.

Is Compher on par with Loui Eriksson regarding his contract and value now?
He'd have approximately the same value as someone such as Andreas Johnsson. So a 3rd or equivalent...definitely not negative value, but he's less valuable to another team than to the Avs - and the return will reflect that.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
He'd have approximately the same value as someone such as Andreas Johnsson. So a 3rd or equivalent...definitely not negative value, but he's less valuable to another team than to the Avs - and the return will reflect that.

Maybe true, particularly with Compher coming off of a major knee injury and with Colorado desperate to trade him for cap relief due to some bad contracts and overall poor cap management.

Responding to your original post-before you went back to edit it. I don't disagree with your statement that he likely is more important to the Avs than what they would fetch in trade, particularly with the Avs having cup aspirations.

I think this whole *&(%^-match between some Colorado posters and some Montreal posters has led to some jump the shark statements and discussions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gabe MacAntanen

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Maybe true, particularly with Compher coming off of a major knee injury.
Yeah, the parallels between the 2 players is striking. Both with a history of 2nd/3rd line production.

I think this whole *&(%^-match between some Colorado posters and some Montreal posters has led to some jump the shark statements and discussions.
Yep. It happens in every single thread about valuation. People love to let their biases show.

Last edited:

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Yeah, the parallels between the 2 players is striking. Both LW coming off major knee injuries with a history of 2nd/3rd line production.

Yep. It happens in every single thread about valuation. People love to let their biases show.

Hmmm....

Reactions: Newusername

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
I doubt AVs trade Compher.

Contract is not significant enough like ie. Drouin being negative value. I expect him to remain on the team until Newhook arrives after next season. He’ll either shift to RW or replace PEB on the 4th line.
Wait are you not the poster that claimed that Mete at 735K is considered a cap dump.:laugh:
Please enlighten us more with your Superior knowledge.

Reactions: Prairie Habs

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Wait are you not the poster that claimed that Mete at 735K is considered a cap dump.:laugh:
Yep that’s him. We should post a Mete capdump thread so Avs fans can tell uswhat kind of sweetener is required to dump Mete and his egregious contract. ;)

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

Compher outscored Anderson the last 3 seasons, earn significantly less and with 4 fewer years. We’re trying to dump him, but it’s not cap crippling like Anderson.

Reactions: Linds and Galactico

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Compher outscored Anderson the last 3 seasons, earn significantly less and with 4 fewer years. We’re trying to dump him, but it’s not cap crippling like Anderson.
Look once you claimed Mete’s 735K contract is considered a cap dump your credibility went down the
poop chute

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Just trying to gauge his value. He's been a 0.5 PPG center on the Avs, but would be a better fit as a winger.

Would any rebuilding teams be interested in him for basically free (i.e. Johnsson for Anderson swap). The Avs aren't desperate to move him, but Compher would probably be a better fit for a rebuilding team where he has potential to become a team vet for when they're ready to compete, as opposed to signing an older UFA.

This would allow the Avs to get an upgrade on Compher with the extra space.

Paz, if Compher could be traded (with positive value) one would think Sakic would have pulled the trigger by now and signed a better/ cheaper 3C (like Haula). Why do you think this has not happened?

Waiting this late doesn’t make sense to me. All the replacement options will have disappeared.

Either Sakic has tried and failed to trade JTC or he sees him as a reasonable option at 3C.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Hes not negative value, but there isnt much incentive for the teams that can afford him to get him. If your contending hes not quite enough for the money he takes, and if your rebuilding its just a clogged roster spot.

Reactions: Junohockeyfan

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Seems like a player the Avs should keep, no?

based on his stats he seems to be a good 3C/W who gives you 35 - 40 points, PKs and plays well in the playoffs (17 points in 32 games)

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
I view it differently in the sense that $3.5M for three years is certainly not crippling for any team, although we are currently in the middle of some unusual market circumstances. He has market value in my mind, but it all comes down to whether his value would offer any incentive for Colorado to trade him. I have not seen any rumors involving Colorado shopping Compher or ever looking to trade him.

I don't really understand the obsession over trades in any event.
When in Rome. This board is all about playing the Jr GM

Reactions: Goulet17

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Hes not negative value, but there isnt much incentive for the teams that can afford him to get him. If your contending hes not quite enough for the money he takes, and if your rebuilding its just a clogged roster spot.
I’d actually be okay with him as 3C on the Sharks.

hughdreamz

Jun 24, 2006
Michigan
Compher is a Swiss Army knife of a player who isn’t really great at anything. Incredibly versatile but only moderately successful. For a rebuilding team, he’d fit in the middle 6. For a contender, he’s prob not worth the cost. He only works for Colorado right now is because they have the cap space.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad