Value of: JT Compher

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
You think Compher has value???
I don't think Avs will need to pay someone to take him. Half the league will be looking for middle 6 forwards this offseason after losing their 5th or 8th best forward in the expansion draft, so there will likely be a market for him in a hockey trade.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Quite the sell job there

Lol this trash bin is on fire, why won't anyone buy it for lunch

Realistically though Compher has a nice playoff pedigree, has been extremely clutch in the past and isn't on a long ass contract. But the writing is starting to be on the wall in Colorado as he's just not a 3C fit

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
You think Compher has value???
Not very much. He’s having a good season on the Pk and not really anywhere else. I’d take a 7th round pick for him if nothing came back. But I suspect he’d get moved for an underperforming player in a change of scenery deal.

but your boy Jost. He’s having a kickass season. His defensive metrics are off the charts. Both 5 vs 5 and on the PK. So you win some and lose some.

glad the Avs didn’t give you Byram for healthy scratch Tatar. Or Girardo for Drouin. Drouin does look lively this year but Tatars value is cratering. Habs in general look solid. Definitely a playoff team.

Reactions: Richard88

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
That doesn't mean that his value is negative. A team may want to acquire him but would need to move a contract back to make it work.
Actually someone clearing waivers really does mean that they have negative value. If someone is swapped with them it's another player with negative value who may just be a better fit.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I don't think Avs will need to pay someone to take him. Half the league will be looking for middle 6 forwards this offseason after losing their 5th or 8th best forward in the expansion draft, so there will likely be a market for him in a hockey trade.
Do you think any team would pick him off waivers if he was waived? I its pretty obvious that he would clear.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Do you think any team would pick him off waivers if he was waived? I its pretty obvious that he would clear.

It’s not obvious but it’s probably more like 50/50. His contract around 3.5mm isn’t as difficult to fit as the 5mm plus deals that keep going thru waivers unclaimed. I won’t state that he would be claimed but it’s not a certainty he would pass thru unclaimed.

doubt we ever find out either. Avs have no need to cut him to find out. Their season is going well, they are under the cap and don’t have a bunch of bad contracts to get off their books.

I’d be happy to ship him to the Islanders as the guy above notes.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Love this player! Seems to have the traits that Trotz and Lou covet. He kills penalties, can play on the pp and is versatile. Not sure why the Avs would part with him and can't see Joe getting fleeced. Him and JGP on the third line would work some magic.

Compher is forced to play C. He's not a C. So he's playing out if position.

Once you accept he's a RW and not a C, you realize we're paying 7.4 m (between he and Donskoi) for 3RW, while having no C on the third line.

In a way you can say maybe its a little unfair to him because he's taking one for the team in playing C. And part of it is that Jost hasn't progressed the way they had hoped.

However, now Jost is making less than 1m and found a niche on the 4th line.

And if you look at Donskoi's production, it drastically improves if he's not playing with Compher as his C.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
It’s not obvious but it’s probably more like 50/50. His contract around 3.5mm isn’t as difficult to fit as the 5mm plus deals that keep going thru waivers unclaimed. I won’t state that he would be claimed but it’s not a certainty he would pass thru unclaimed.

doubt we ever find out either. Avs have no need to cut him to find out. Their season is going well, they are under the cap and don’t have a bunch of bad contracts.
I put him in a similar category as Byron, though i like Byron’s game better.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I put him in a similar category as Byron, though i like Byron’s game better.
I don’t. Byron is even less consistent. Doesn’t have the speed or PK chops of a JTC. Byron is a lot older. He’s smaller and his Corsi stats are really bad. Not a surprise he’s being scratched.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Huh what?? Byron’s game is built on speed and Pk...
So is JTCs, but JT is better at each. While being bigger and able to agitate.

better being a relative term. Neither of these players are having a good season. In fact, both have been disappointing.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Teams won't touch big salary this year and it's not worth retaining to get rid of them. Teams have to suck it up and see what happens this summer.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
JTC is a marshmallow. The only thing he can agitate is a linesman.
That’s grossly inaccurate. JTC is a pretty good agitator. One of his best skills.

again. Both JTC and Byron are having down years so I’m not saying I’m particularly impressed by either.

the relative fenwich and Corsi for these two are both really bad.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
That’s grossly inaccurate. JTC is a pretty good agitator. One of his best skills.

again. Both JTC and Byron are having down years so I’m not saying I’m particularly impressed by either.
JTC and Byron are similar and comparable players. Which is why i am certain JTC clears waivers. Avs need a bonafide 3C. If they intend to compete for the cup.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
JTC and Byron are similar and comparable players. Which is why i am certain JTC clears waivers. Avs need a bonafide 3C. If they intend to compete for the cup.
The Habs have at least four needs if they want to compete for a cup. All teams have shortcomings.

the Avs have an elite roster today that is already good enough to win the cup.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
The Habs have at least four needs if they want to compete for a cup. All teams have shortcomings.

the Avs have an elite roster today that is already good enough to win the cup.

i think Avs have some key holes that need to be filled.

TBL have no holes once Kuch is back.

Upgrading JTC is paramount.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
i think Avs have some key holes that need to be filled.

TBL have no holes once Kuch is back.

Upgrading JTC is paramount.
Nothing is paramount. Jost can fill that roll right now, at least defensively. His metics in this regard are elite. Jost has elite defensive metrics. PEB has decent ones. Avs have no glaring holes amd Tampa, like all teams, has them. Tampa has all kinds of depth issues. Both in their bottom pair and bottom six.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad