Value of: JT Compher

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
That also seems reasonable but assumes he waives for the ED. If Avs need to use a protection slot for EJ, he’s getting bought out. The Avs won’t lose a player like Bura or Kadri to protect EJ.
In which case EJ would lose $4M by not waiving.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Still too much to have tied up in that kind of performance for a tight cap year.

I don't really disagree, but we're still arguably the best positioned team to handle a flat cap, even with Compher still on the roster. Really, he's is only really overpaid by maybe $1.5 (less if he rebounds to ~0.5PPG), which we've more than made up with great contracts in numerous other places (Mack, Girard, Toews, Kadri). On top of that, we have a bunch of guys who could potentially contribute on their ELCs (Byram, Newhook, Kaut, Bowers, Ranta, etc.) coming in the near future. An extra $1.5m for 2 years isn't the end of the world.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I don't really disagree, but we're still arguably the best positioned team to handle a flat cap, even with Compher still on the roster. Really, he's is only really overpaid by maybe $1.5 (less if he rebounds to ~0.5PPG), which we've more than made up with great contracts in numerous other places (Mack, Girard, Toews, Kadri). On top of that, we have a bunch of guys who could potentially contribute on their ELCs (Byram, Newhook, Kaut, Bowers, Ranta, etc.) coming in the near future. An extra $1.5m for 2 years isn't the end of the world.
This free agent market you can get a good 4th line for $3.5M.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
In which case EJ would lose $4M by not waiving.
He's gonna be making more $$ forcinf a buy out...

2/3 of his contract, + the other contract he'll get on the UFA market (2years 6M probably)

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
He's gonna be making more $$ forcinf a buy out...

2/3 of his contract, + the other contract he'll get on the UFA market (2years 6M probably)

I mean I am not sure he can get 2x3m with his recent injury history in a flat cap world.

Atleast not significantly more. So why not stay on a contender on the team you have been a longtime with instead?
Seattle is not going to take him anyways...

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
I mean I am not sure he can get 2x3m with his recent injury history in a flat cap world.

Atleast not significantly more. So why not stay on a contender on the team you have been a longtime with instead?
Seattle is not going to take him anyways...
Waiving = he actually takes the chance Sakic pays SEA tot ake him and gain 6M of free cap space.

If you're in EJ's shoes, you either secure your spot (not waive), or you get bought out and go to another contender on a 2 X 3M type of deal if you're getting bought out.

EJ would get 2 X 3M easilly. when he plays, he's still effective, @ 3M it's not a big risk

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Waiving = he actually takes the chance Sakic pays SEA tot ake him and gain 6M of free cap space.

If you're in EJ's shoes, you either secure your spot (not waive), or you get bought out and go to another contender on a 2 X 3M type of deal if you're getting bought out.

EJ would get 2 X 3M easilly. when he plays, he's still effective, @ 3M it's not a big risk

Have you checked his injury history?

Dude can't stay healthy to save his life over the last few years and he is not going to get any younger...
I doubt any real contender is dumb enough to pay him much more than that.

Seattle is never going to take him. And if he is willing to screw over his team like that, I'd say good riddance to him anyways..

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Have you checked his injury history?

Dude can't stay healthy to save his life over the last few years and he is not going to get any younger...
I doubt any real contender is dumb enough to pay him much more than that.

Seattle is never going to take him. And if he is willing to screw over his team like that, I'd say good riddance to him anyways..

Screw over his team? The guy has a NMC in his contract. He signed it, and your GM agreed to it. He can do whatever the F he wants with it.

Reactions: DickSmehlik

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Screw over his team? The guy has a NMC in his contract. He signed it, and your GM agreed to it. He can do whatever the F he wants with it.

Yeah and he will get bought out for it. EJ has been a major liability for years now. I love him for what he did during our bad times but he hasn't been worth his contract for quite some time now.
But considering how he always demanded from everyone else that team comes first and how he reacted to Duchene asking out and screwing over the team, him not waiving here due to a 0.000000001 % of getting taken in the expansion draft and massively weakening the Avs as a team going forward (that buyout hit will hurt capwise) in the process is not something I would appreciate..

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

Or he gets traded to one of the 19 teams that isn't on his list.

Reactions: John Mandalorian

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
This free agent market you can get a good 4th line for $3.5M.

Maybe, but I'd much rather give our youngsters the opportunity to get NHL playing time on the 4th line, so they can adjust to the NHL in a more sheltered role. If we don't promote from within, then we're not taking advantage of one of the main benefits of having our AHL team in Loveland, playing the same system.

What's the long term benefit of signing UFAs and preventing our youngsters from getting significant ice time?

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
What are the Avs adding to his 6M$ contract to trade him? Marleau cost a 1st for 1year, so 2 first?

The better question, which I've asked you repeatedly with zero rational answers in return, is why is EJ going to pick a fight he can't win that will most likely lead to him no longer being a member of the Avs? What's the upside for him, other than "because he can"?

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
The better question, which I've asked you repeatedly with zero rational answers in return, is why is EJ going to pick a fight he can't win that will most likely lead to him no longer being a member of the Avs? What's the upside for him, other than "because he can"?

He waives = he loses in a lot of ways, he doesn't hold his own faith
He doesn't = he stays a Avs, or he gets 2/3 of hiw contract + another one and gets to chose where he goes

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Maybe, but I'd much rather give our youngsters the opportunity to get NHL playing time on the 4th line, so they can adjust to the NHL in a more sheltered role. If we don't promote from within, then we're not taking advantage of one of the main benefits of having our AHL team in Loveland, playing the same system.

What's the long term benefit of signing UFAs and preventing our youngsters from getting significant ice time?
They’ll get injured.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
He waives = he loses in a lot of ways, he doesn't hold his own faith
He doesn't = he stays a Avs, or he gets 2/3 of hiw contract + another one and gets to chose where he goes

Any chance you could actually explain the ways in which he loses by waiving? Because, it seems like staying with the Avs, getting paid $6m per season, and having a chance at the Cup are all positives. What exactly is he losing by waiving his NMC, when there's essentially zero chance he'll be selected by Seattle?

Also, how many choices is he going to have as an oft-injured 33 year old who has only played 4 games this year? And, how does a 1 year, $1m contract make up for losing $4m from getting bought out?

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
What are the Avs adding to his 6M$ contract to trade him? Marleau cost a 1st for 1year, so 2 first?

Or the Avs retain $2 mil and send a 2nd. You said yourself a contender would gladly pay EJ 2 x 3 mil. I’m sure there’s a market where a team will take him that’s overpaid by $1 mil + 2nd. Hell, a bubble team may even think he has positive value at 2 x 4 mil since they wouldn’t have been able to get him normally.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Any chance you could actually explain the ways in which he loses by waiving? Because, it seems like staying with the Avs, getting paid $6m per season, and having a chance at the Cup are all positives. What exactly is he losing by waiving his NMC, when there's essentially zero chance he'll be selected by Seattle?

Also, how many choices is he going to have as an oft-injured 33 year old who has only played 4 games this year? And, how does a 1 year, $1m contract make up for losing $4m from getting bought out?
This bozo thinks Price will waive no problem for the Habs. But no way other teams get guys with NMCs to waive.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Or the Avs retain $2 mil and send a 2nd. You said yourself a contender would gladly pay EJ 2 x 3 mil. I’m sure there’s a market where a team will take him that’s overpaid by $1 mil + 2nd. Hell, a bubble team may even think he has positive value at 2 x 4 mil since they wouldn’t have been able to get him normally.

Right. The two most likely scenarios are that he agrees to waive in exchange for an assurance to not be traded. The other one is what you're describing, where the Avs retain to move him.

These two scenarios are far more likely than him being protected or a buyout. Theres practically a zero percent chance the Avs protect him. Also, the buyout scenario creates dead cap space beyond 2023 which is when there will be a full boat of big contracts. Its very unlikely Joe would want this contract to linger beyond 2023.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad