Joshua Leivo

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Leivo is not where the real problem is.

Marleau, Enis, Johnsson these guys are all playing like garbage. Marleau may be done as an nhler. He needs to be moved out of the top 6 asap. He does nothing on the ice but take up space. He does not forecheck, he does not backcheck, he does not score. He is filler at this stage.

Donkey Puck

Feb 15, 2013
You guys are literally getting astroturfed by a PR firm on behalf of Zach Hyman.

He can't stand on his own merits so they attack his replacements.

Fake news.. happens all over the internet.. many such cases

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Babs was right....again

Leivo is not an nhl player.

Was it the creative usage that proved it to you? You know creatively putting him on the 4th line for 8mins a night? The extensive time and research that must have went into this decision after playing 4 different players on a Brown line that have all struggled as he constantly loses the puck after hitting the blue lines.

To your point though, the 4th line has been one of the more consistent lines we have which kinda suggests that the players playing there are NHL 4th line players?

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Was it the creative usage that proved it to you? You know creatively putting him on the 4th line for 8mins a night? The extensive time and research that must have went into this decision after playing 4 different players on a Brown line that have all struggled as he constantly loses the puck after hitting the blue lines.

To your point though, the 4th line has been one of the more consistent lines we have which kinda suggests that the players playing there are NHL 4th line players?

Good players make the most of their opportunities no matter where they are, he has not.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
He’s a serviceable bottom 6 winger. Not as physical or strong defensively as you’d like from a bottom 6 winger, but solid offensively.

Don’t think he’s a long term piece for us, we’ve got a bunch of winger prospects who will be taking some of our sketchier winger spots in the near future. Johnsson and Grundstrom are both very close to ready, and Engvall and Timashov have shots to make the Leafs in the near-ish future too. But until they’re ready, Leivo is fine.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Good players make the most of their opportunities no matter where they are, he has not.

Yeah like Nylander and Marner on the 4th line getting like .25ppg pace, those days were great. How about Kapanen, that didn't happen either right? He was getting like Leivo production on the 4th line as well but you will start to stutter Buu-bu-buuu-bbb-but GOOD PRO EATS RIGHT - Right?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
He’s a serviceable bottom 6 winger. Not as physical or strong defensively as you’d like from a bottom 6 winger, but solid offensively.

Don’t think he’s a long term piece for us, we’ve got a bunch of winger prospects who will be taking some of our sketchier winger spots in the near future. Johnsson and Grundstrom are both very close to ready, and Engvall and Timashov have shots to make the Leafs in the near-ish future too. But until they’re ready, Leivo is fine.

He goes into a corner and comes out with the puck more often than not. Right there he is a success. He makes some ok plays with the puck and has hit a few posts. Ennis has missed some shots and others as well on his plays. He is a bottom 6 forward that lacks speed but is pretty proficient in his work. He occasionally gets a little crossed up as well but it's nowhere near the catastrophic levels of BROWN TERMINATING POESSESSION.

Please watch any of the past games closely how often the puck leaves Browns stick, becomes 50/50 and lost possession. It's embarrassing.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Leivo is slowly running out of chances.

ODog would be the best person to comment on this... He would probably say something along the lines of.... of course coaches can limit a guys production. You play him down the lineup, cut off his PP time and match him up with defensively oriented players playing against higher quality of competition opponents.

I bet Babcock could have turned Nylander into 40 point guy if he really wanted, not even hard for him to do if there is no protest. Being a high pick affords you ability to protest btw.

Reactions: rumman

disgruntleddave

Aug 31, 2009
Canada
Josh started strong and hasn't looked bad, but hasn't done much. I thought he'd hit the scoresheet more playing like he has.

He always had good chemistry with Kadri, I'd like to see him up a line and brown down one. Brown has probably been the biggest disappointment so far, let's hope his game gets going.

Marleau.. yeah, not so good. But that's a different issue.

Reactions: thewave

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Leivo's outplayed the likes of: Brown, Johnsson, Ennis. This thread makes zero sense, and anyone who thinks the should be scoring with 8 minutes a game are delusional. The 4th line thus far hasn't been a problem, it's been one of the bright spots so far. Leivo looked pretty good on the 3rd line, not saying he should be moved up, but he's playing well on the 4th line. Amazing how anyone who knows anything about hockey can dis Josh with what he's done this season.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
ODog would be the best person to comment on this... He would probably say something along the lines of.... of course coaches can limit a guys production. You play him down the lineup, cut off his PP time and match him up with defensively oriented players playing against higher quality of competition opponents.

I bet Babcock could have turned Nylander into 40 point guy if he really wanted, not even hard for him to do if there is no protest. Being a high pick affords you ability to protest btw.
ODog would say "Leivo's a nice player", and that's exactly what he is, no shame in that.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Leivo's outplayed the likes of: Brown, Johnsson, Ennis. This thread makes zero sense, and anyone who thinks the should be scoring with 8 minutes a game are delusional. The 4th line thus far hasn't been a problem, it's been one of the bright spots so far. Leivo looked pretty good on the 3rd line, not saying he should be moved up, but he's playing well on the 4th line. Amazing how anyone who knows anything about hockey can dis Josh with what he's done this season.

He was in alone and flubbed it. I would say it was not delusional to think he could have scored there. Anyway this team only has 4 legitimate scoring threats up front as it stands today. Somebody from the bottom 8 needs to start finding the back of the net or we are going to see many more games like last night until Matty and Willie give us 6 scoring threats.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
He was in alone and flubbed it. I would say it was not delusional to think he could have scored there. Anyway this team only has 4 legitimate scoring threats up front as it stands today. Somebody from the bottom 8 needs to start finding the back of the net or we are going to see many more games like last night until Matty and Willie give us 6 scoring threats.

Did you not see the bounce the puck made on our terrible ice in the replay? I reacted to the miss as well but the replay shows the puck hop like a rabbit. It was nasty. You're starting to sound like Pookie vs Kadri just on Leivo though.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Did you not see the bounce the puck made on our terrible ice in the replay? I reacted to the miss as well but the replay shows the puck hop like a rabbit. It was nasty. You're starting to sound like Pookie vs Kadri just on Leivo though.

LOL. I was not ripping Leivo. I was contradicting the statement "This thread makes zero sense, and anyone who thinks the should be scoring with 8 minutes a game are delusional.". The guys was in alone and could have scored. Sure he flubbed it or the puck bounced but it was a solid scoring chance so there is no delusion if one thinks a player can score with only 8 minutes playing time.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto

no one is trying to keep Leivo down. Kapanen got a chance. Leivo doesnt have speed or hands.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
If "if's and but's were candy and nuts every day would be Christmas". Leivo's getting scoring chances, they'll start to go in if the chances continue, just look at Kadri, he was snake bit earlier, but now those chances are being buried. Who are you suggesting replace Leivo in the bottom eight? Please start a thread about every other Leaf that can't score this year and give the f**king guy who gets 8 minutes of ice time a game a rest. It's idiotic to blame a 4th liner for the short comings of everyone on the Leafs not named Mathews/Marner/Tavares/Kappy.

Last edited:

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
When you see it happen to Tavares twice in same game you have to think the ice was pure garbage last night. JT has amazing hands and when he pulled it over to lift it over goalie in crease and it jumped over his stick on a normal tap in for him then you know. He was shaking his head for a few minutes after that play.

Reactions: ToneDog and thewave

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'm admittedly not a big stats guy so perhaps someone can help me out here. I had a quick peek at Leivo's numbers and I see this:

His CF% is at 58.6, highest on the team.

His FF% is at 57.8, also highest on the team.

When I factor in that his DZone Start% is at 64.4, 2nd highest on the team, those numbers look downright spectacular.

Now I imagine that the formula that takes these stats and ends up with "not an NHL player" is a complicated one, perhaps someone can lay it out for me? At least I don't think it's based on the famously fallible eye test because by that also, Leivo has looked quite good, at least to me.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I'm admittedly not a big stats guy so perhaps someone can help me out here. I had a quick peek at Leivo's numbers and I see this:

When I factor in that his DZone Start% is at 64.4, 2nd highest on the team, those numbers look downright spectacular.

Now I imagine that the formula that takes these stats and ends up with "not an NHL player" is a complicated one, perhaps someone can lay it out for me? At least I don't think it's based on the famously fallible eye test because by that also, Leivo has looked quite good, at least to me.

Babs tossed him in the hole, it's no mystery man. He's literally being a dbag towards Leivo for what reason we don't know.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Babs tossed him in the hole, it's no mystery man. He's literally being a dbag towards Leivo for what reason we don't know.

I wasn't talking about Babcock, I was wondering about some of the posters here who consider Leivo to be useless.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
last year Babcock didn't give him a fair shake playing the likes of Martin and a fading fast Uncle Leo.

This year I think Babcock is utilizing him properly. One could argue he should be playing on the 3rd line, but he's doing well on the fourth line imo. Babcock using him on the second power play unit is surprising to me, but encouraging to see his dog house isn't a ticket out of town.

Unless they're show casing him for a trade, in which case all the Leivo haters will have to find another player to blame the Leaf's woes on.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
If Brown, Marleau or Ennis or even Johnsson would have ANY semblance of offence to their games we could live with Leivo being a heavy presence on the 4th line and being a cycle guy down low but since we have nobody else on the bottom 6 who can create ANYTHING -- Leivo is getting lumped in with the other bottom 6 wingers and I don't think that's fair. Josh is passing the eye test and might be gripping his stick a bit too tight but he's been fine. The others I mentioned - should feel shame so far and kick it up a few notches.

Reactions: hockeyes and rumman

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Impressive but when I look at Leivo's numbers
I see 12 GP 1 G 2 A -4 7 PM S% 6.7. If this were a player on another team, we would say MEH.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad