Joshua Leivo

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
I don't necessarily disagree but playing on a line with a useless Gauthier and a struggling Johansson or Ennis isn't helping him out. Still early in the season so I'm hoping he can turn it around. The whole bottom 6, including Kadri has been real disappointing considering how deep the forward group looked coming into the season. I feel like babs has to get more creative with his lineups

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
I don't necessarily disagree but playing on a line with a useless Gauthier and a struggling Johansson or Ennis isn't helping him out. Still early in the season so I'm hoping he can turn it around. The whole bottom 6, including Kadri has been real disappointing considering how deep the forward group looked coming into the season. I feel like babs has to get more creative with his lineups
if youre fighting for a spot on the team its probably best to not rely on other players for your production.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
brown and leivo would be great marlies ,along with goat

Sure, I am not trying to say he is some phenom in disguise. The problem is that we have a guy in Brown that can not enter a zone without losing the puck. Just watch closely the puck carrier and who loses possession next. That to me is the most important thing I watch for...

Who makes plays that maintain control of the puck for our team and who doesn't. So far this season Brown is routinely losing the puck to the other team and it can be really bad, I mean, we're talk 5 times a night or maybe more where Brown will have the puck and put it in a bad spot, miss a pass etc. It's not good. Leivo does not have that problem at all, opposite actually and so I cut him slack.

Reactions: Lauro

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I’m extremely disappointed in Josh Leivo. I was hoping he would replace some of Komarov’s intensity and ferocity but he’s the same as 10 other forwards without the ability to score.
He and Brown could easily be replaced.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I’m extremely disappointed in Josh Leivo. I was hoping he would replace some of Komarov’s intensity and ferocity but he’s the same as 10 other forwards without the ability to score.
He and Brown could easily be replaced.

Then why isn't Dubas working on it? I don't think I have ever seen someone blow up plays on such a regular basis as Brown has and still be in the NHL. He is the black hole archetype.

Reactions: smitty10

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Then why isn't Dubas working on it? I don't think I have ever seen someone blow up plays on such a regular basis as Brown has and still be in the NHL. He is the black hole archetype.

Maybe he is, but seriously, who wants them? Maybe Seattle?

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Well, I'm just going to take a contrarian position here. Given the amount of minutes he's played, and what kind of line he's been on, Leivo has shown up quite a bit. He's generated chances, made smart decisions around the puck, seem to be around the puck quite a bit given how little he's been on the ice.

It always seem to me that skill guys stuck on depth lines get trashed around here, because they are supposed to be more noticeable and score more than what is realistic given the circumstances. I've been keeping a tally of chance-driving plays, and Leivo is currently ahead of quite a few of our wingers, including guys like Marleau, Brown, and Hyman, who all play much bigger minutes than him.

I think that shows up in his analytics as well, that have been terrific so far. He's the biggest reason why that fourth line establishes a territorial edge in pretty much every single game.

if youre fighting for a spot on the team its probably best to not rely on other players for your production.
That's not a choice you can make. If you're on a line with guys who can't produce, anyone is hard pressed to produce. I've talked about it quite a bit now with Nylander. Look at how he or Matthews fared when on a line with Hyman and Brown. Their scoring dried up. If that can happen to them, it can happen to Leivo when on a line with worse players than that.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
It's almost like he's not this awesome goal scoring winger that people thought he was.
I don’t think anyone was saying he’d be a 30 goal scorer, but given the opportunity in the top 6 he could’ve got 20 was the usual saying

And he still hasn’t gotten that opportunity, should line up in Marleau’s spot for a game or 2 when Matthews is back

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
He is a grinder winger who helps on the cycle. He would be more help on boards in our end but Babs does not play that kinda breakout which would further utilize his skills. But I am disappointed in his offence so far. Last night he had 2 really good opportunities to score and he completely jacked both of them. I mean he did not even get a shot off. Not sure if the ice is completely crap or what but puck was bouncing a lot. Both for him and Tavares as both had 2 great chances to score.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
When I watch the Goat play all I can think of is whether to bet over or under 1/2 goals for the season.

Hard to believe that in this day and age with all the skill these kids have, the Goat has virtually none and we picked him in the first round. Wow.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
plenty of Leafs player that are under performing thus far. Leivo has looked good to me, he'll never be confused with a sniper that's for sure, but many posters on these boards do not appreciate the job the "muckers" do get the stars the puck. Pretty sure anyone who can get out of Babcock's doghouse has earned it, getting power play minutes just reaffirms that Josh is doing okay this season.

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
If Leivo isn't an NHL player, then I wonder what Marleau, Brown, Ennis and Johnsson are, because Josh was better than them in almost every game this season so far.

Reactions: GardinerTheForward

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I’ve been saying this for a while now but i think Josh would look excellent on LW for the JT-Marner line. He likes to grind the boards like JT and is a shooter which allows for JT to clean up rebounds and Marner to feed him on his offside.

Not to mention that line isn’t the most up tempo so someone of Leivos speed would fit like a glove.

He’s not going to get that chance unless he starts burying some chances on the fourth line however dumb that may be

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I think that the most notable difference between this year and last year is Leivo hasn't been shooting enough.

The last couple of years, he would absolutely shoot from all over the ice. This year he seems to be passing out of some chances that you would have expected him to take previously.

His foot speed was never going to improve and I think we all knew that.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Well, I'm just going to take a contrarian position here. Given the amount of minutes he's played, and what kind of line he's been on, Leivo has shown up quite a bit. He's generated chances, made smart decisions around the puck, seem to be around the puck quite a bit given how little he's been on the ice.

It always seem to me that skill guys stuck on depth lines get trashed around here, because they are supposed to be more noticeable and score more than what is realistic given the circumstances. I've been keeping a tally of chance-driving plays, and Leivo is currently ahead of quite a few of our wingers, including guys like Marleau, Brown, and Hyman, who all play much bigger minutes than him.

I think that shows up in his analytics as well, that have been terrific so far. He's the biggest reason why that fourth line establishes a territorial edge in pretty much every single game.

That's not a choice you can make. If you're on a line with guys who can't produce, anyone is hard pressed to produce. I've talked about it quite a bit now with Nylander. Look at how he or Matthews fared when on a line with Hyman and Brown. Their scoring dried up. If that can happen to them, it can happen to Leivo when on a line with worse players than that.
This entire post is right on the money. Same reason Johnsson is getting shit on too. There's only so much these guys can do in garbage time with linemates who have non-existent offense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad