Josh Gorges situation (continued)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
That's fine and dandy but humans are not machines.

You can't ask a player to show character and emotional involvement in a team and then expect them to put away those emotions especially when you as the GM mishandled the situation.

You want players that are emotionally invested in your team well you better treat them like humans or else they will get emotionally unstable if you don't treat them properly.

True, but you can have those expectations of a guy who is claiming to be a leader. Of course he doesn't want to go, but does he have to be spiteful and leak the info a second after he's asked? Like I said very unprofessional and coming from a guy who aspires to be a great leader, it looks bad on him. Just my opinion on the matter, plus when you have character generally you should be able to keep your emotion in check, the guy just plain made a bad decision.

Luckily for us and him, it is out of character for him. Like you said, he isn't a machine, he lashed out. But now the mess is on us and he needs to be moved.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Briere has shown that the Habs was just a meal ticket. He couldn't give a flying puck for the Habs: re signing with the Flyers. also he was here for one year under a coach who valued him less than the muck under his sneakers.

Gorges has been here 7 years. Invested his heart in the team. You don't send an agent to ask that type of team player to release you from an obligation. that's a dick move. You pick up the phone or better yet you go see him and talk to him. Even that dimwit gainey went to see Carbo when he fired him.

What was bergevin supposes to do.. Leave Philadelphia during the draft and ask gorges himself?

Ridiculous

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
That's ridiculous. There's no breach of contract or improper conduct here. A GM has every right to ask a player to reconsider going to a team on his no trade list. Happens all the time.

To suggest this prevents UFAs from signing here is sheer hysteria.

You keep thinking that.

You got a guy with a family thinking bout Montreal as a Ufa,he doesn't want to be pressured to go to a city on his no trade list....the no trade list is there for a reason ...because the player feels it doesn't fit period.

AND it wasn't like JG only had 3 teams he wanted to be traded too....it was 15!

Bad pr ...period...very bad optics for potential big name Ufa's coming here....

It didn't stop with Montreal trying,they got Toronto to try also......

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I agree with you. I wonder what Gorges end game was on this. Leak the news, scuttle the trade, live happily ever after in Montreal? Not even he could be so naïve as to think that could happen.

Now he's messed with Bergevin's plans, Bergevin knows he's lost the loyalty of the player, it's going to be a quickie divorce in my estimation.

Gorges is not the smartest player to ever don the habs jersey. He's a dummy. I don't know that he had an end game by doing this. Seems to me like he was just being spiteful. His only message originally was that he wanted to let everyone know that it wasn't his idea, it was MB's. I think the guy believes in his own self importance in Montreal a wee bit too much.

PricePkPatch*

Briere has shown that the Habs was just a meal ticket. He couldn't give a flying puck for the Habs: re signing with the Flyers. also he was here for one year under a coach who valued him less than the muck under his sneakers.

Gorges has been here 7 years. Invested his heart in the team. You don't send an agent to ask that type of team player to release you from an obligation. that's a dick move. You pick up the phone or better yet you go see him and talk to him. Even that dimwit gainey went to see Carbo when he fired him.

That's ****ing dumb. Head Coaches don't have agents

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
But he didn't ask Gorges to waive the clause. He wimped out and sent Gorges' agent to do the dirty work.

Do you see the dif?

Sure can. One would be Bergevin over-stepping his bounds and contacting the agents client directly. The other was what Bergevin did, which you call wimping out. :laugh:

If players want to be contacted directly about contractual issues, they can represent themselves.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
...except that's why people pay agents, to handle the business end...so Bergevin asked Gorges agent to do his job and go to his client with a business proposal...you can't blame Josh for being hurt, but you can't blame Bergevin for being diligent either...

If Bergevin was diligent he would have made that call. He wouldn't have sent an agent.

I think this is gonna have repercussions in the locker room. What player is gonna go the extra mile after the way Gorges was treated? Expect a lackluster year from many of the players.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Briere had a NMC. What happened when MB went to him to ask to waive it ? He waived it and there were no leaks, no problem. Briere is a professional hockey player while Gorges.... is being Gorges.

Look, this happens all the time. Gorges was well within his right to refuse. But not to leak it. Sorry.

It's common knowledge that Briere was unhappy in how Therrien utilized him.

It's common knowledge that Gorges was happy in Montreal.

Notice the difference? Especially since the leak didn't come from Gorges?

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Again, my point is that why would you initiate a deal with a team you know that isn't on Gorges list? Bergevin WANTS to get rid of Gorges. Fine with me. So he looks around...and find a good buyer in Toronto which he KNOWS isn't on Gorges list. Does the deal and expect Gorges to say "I gave 15 teams...and hell, I'd go to a team I don't want to go". Sorry, if that,s what happen, it's not good management.

But if during talks with Toronto COMES the name of Gorges that was some kind of unexpected, then Bergevin can say "Well done deal...but my player hates you, so let me come back to you and see if he can stop hating you...". Then, it's not Bergevin's mistake...it's how things evolved. Somehow, I think it's the first scenario. And until Bergevin TALKS.....we will keep speculating.

By all accounts Toronto initiated the talks.

But perhaps MB has been shopping Gorges and not finding a buyer.

Perhaps Gorges listed 15 teams with the best defense possible who have no room for Gorges.

But even if MB initiated talks with Toronto, who cares ? It's ok to try to trade him to a team for which he has a NTC. Gorges is within his right to say no. But not to cry about it after.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
you keep thinking that.

You got a guy with a family ,he doesn't want to be pressured to go to a city on his no trade list....the no trade list is there for a reason ...

AND it wasn't like JG only had 3 teams he wanted to be traded too....it was 15!

So, Toronto comes to you with a trade offer you'd be willing to accept and your response as a GM is "sorry, Josh doesn't have you on his list and we refuse tot talk to him about it".

Yeah, ok.

you keep thinking that.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
It's common knowledge that Briere was unhappy in how Therrien utilized him.

It's common knowledge that Gorges was happy in Montreal.

Notice the difference? Especially since the leak didn't come from Gorges?

The leak did come from Gorges. But even if the initial leak didn't come from Gorges, HE CONFIRMED the rumors. Which is way worse.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
I agree with you. I wonder what Gorges end game was on this. Leak the news, scuttle the trade, live happily ever after in Montreal? Not even he could be so naïve as to think that could happen.

Now he's messed with Bergevin's plans, Bergevin knows he's lost the loyalty of the player, it's going to be a quickie divorce in my estimation.

What end game? Gorges is a vocal guy and wears his heart on his sleeve. We all know that. He reacted exactly how that kind of person would react in this situation. He was hurt by the offer and vocalized his feelings, as someone like Gorges does. Its not like there's an ulterior motive, he's just upset.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
If Bergevin was diligent he would have made that call. He wouldn't have sent an agent.

I think this is gonna have repercussions in the locker room. What player is gonna go the extra mile after the way Gorges was treated? Expect a lackluster year from many of the players.

...of course he goes to the agent first, that's the agent's job...we aren't privy to what was said to Josh's agent, but I don't imagine it was anything out of the ordinary "we got a substantial off on Josh from Toronto that we feel could be benefitial to both parties...do you want to take it to your client?"...what's wrong with that, since it's the agent's job to do so and Bergevin's job to follow proper protocol and contact the agent with business decisions??...you're letting emotions get the better of your rationale, amigo...

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
What was bergevin supposes to do.. Leave Philadelphia during the draft and ask gorges himself?

Ridiculous

As of yesterday Toronto was still talking to Gorges. That means the trade was still on. It doesn't take a week of travel to go from Philly to Montreal. I'm sure if he left Philly Sunday night Bergevin would have made it to Montreal by Monday at the latest.

But it might be different in Nova Scotia, i don't know.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
So, Toronto comes to you with a trade offer you'd be willing to accept and your response as a GM is "sorry, Josh doesn't have you on his list and we refuse tot talk to him about it".

Yeah, ok.

you keep thinking that.

Your boss at your work wants to send you to another company ,and you'll work in Harlem or Iraq...don't say no ,or whine about it.

Pretty sure if the shoe was on the other foot you'd see the light .

His contact say NO TORONTO....period.
Don't try to force a man to go there.....the Habs signed the deal ......

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
By all accounts Toronto initiated the talks.

But perhaps MB has been shopping Gorges and not finding a buyer.

Perhaps Gorges listed 15 teams with the best defense possible who have no room for Gorges.

But even if MB initiated talks with Toronto, who cares ? It's ok to try to trade him to a team for which he has a NTC. Gorges is within his right to say no. But not to cry about it after.

Mind you, I didn't like the "But why me, I gave my all" drama he created...that's for sure. Again, I'd love for Bergevin to come public after all is said and done.

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
Look, you can go in the face of logic, call Dreger a liar, and overlook the fact Gorges confirmed what was only rumors... but I won't. I'm super ultra duper convinced that Gorges leaked it until I hear a convincing argument to the contrary.

And like I said, you're willing to dump on a guy that's bled for this team and was a huge part of 2 ECF appearances in 4 years because of your "logic" and Dreger (one which influences the other). Someone that's given as much as Gorges has for this team has at least earned the goodwill that I won't start a witchhunt against his character because the mouthpiece serving the Maple Leafs accused him of leaking this information. And correct me if I'm wrong but if Dreger ended up not telling the truth, I don't believe this would be the first time...

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
What end game? Gorges is a vocal guy and wears his heart on his sleeve. We all know that. He reacted exactly how that kind of person would react in this situation. He was hurt by the offer and vocalized his feelings, as someone like Gorges does. Its not like there's an ulterior motive, he's just upset.

Thank you for confirming that he's throwing a tantrum and being unprofessional.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
The leak did come from Gorges. But even if the initial leak didn't come from Gorges, HE CONFIRMED the rumors. Which is way worse.

Can you prove that? And he didn't confirm the rumours for any other reason than to voice his feelings. It's the General Manager's responsibility to manage his players, this fallout is Bergevin's fault.

Thank you for confirming that he's throwing a tantrum and being unprofessional.

Well duh. Nobody has ever accused Gorges of being mister professional. That was never his role in the locker room, it was Gionta's. I just don't understand why everyone is so pissed at Gorges for being the guy he always has been: loyal, outspoken and emotional.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Your boss at your work want to send you to work in Harlem or Iraq...don't say no ,or whine about it ......Pretty sure if the shoe was on the other foot you'd see the light .

This makes no sense. I don't have contract that's transferable, Gorges does.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
Your boss at your work want to send you to work in Harlem or Iraq...don't say no ,or whine about it ......Pretty sure if the shoe was on the other foot you'd see the light .

Harlem is a perfectly nice place to live buddy. If my boss at work wanted to circumvent my contract and asked me if I'd be willing to transfer to Iraq I'd refuse, I wouldn't cry about it. If it were Harlem I'd consider it. Obviously it depends on the situation, but I would have a contract and not have any reason to cry, I can assure you that.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
As of yesterday Toronto was still talking to Gorges. That means the trade was still on. It doesn't take a week of travel to go from Philly to Montreal. I'm sure if he left Philly Sunday night Bergevin would have made it to Montreal by Monday at the latest.

But it might be different in Nova Scotia, i don't know.

But at that point he would have already known about the deal to Toronto.. What is bergevin supposed to do.. Go give gorges a handy? Sorry buddy.. Tried to trade you at the draft you didn't waive but we are still trying to trade you..

Gorges is a professional athlete if he doesn't like the way it goes.. He can retire.

PricePkPatch*

Your boss at your work wants to send you to another company .and you'll work in Harlem or Iraq...don't say no ,or whine about it.

Pretty sure if the shoe was on the other foot you'd see the light .

His contact say NO TORONTO....period.

Man, you say the dumbest of things today. Record-breaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad