Josh Gorges situation (continued)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I hope that Bergevin comes out and DO say how furious he is that it got out. Anything else would be seen as if he's the one responsible.

Why would Bergevin shoot himself in the foot like that.

The original leak doesn't matter here. It was only a rumor until Gorges CONFIRMED the RUMOR by crying on Stubbs shoulder.

But I'd bet anything that Gorges also is the original leak.

Analyzer*

You think a NHL GM would ruin his reputation on a deal like Gorges for whatever ? Every other NHL GM would know that there's a strong possibility for leaks in any trade discussion with that GM. They wouldn't do it. Plus, Toronto looks bad here with Gorges refusing to go play there. All of this so the habs don't get a big return for Gorges ? Newsflash.. Gorges isn't some HUGELY coveted asset with a good contract that was gonna land us an important player. It seems like an awfully huge risk to take for the leafs for very little gain.

No, the simplest explanation is that Gorges, being the idiot that he is, leaked it.

Except Nonis is Dreger's brother-in-law, or something. Dreger knows almost everything that's going on with the leafs. Why does he report Toronto is looking to trade Kadri, or Gardiner, or Phaneuf? He knows these things and that's where he gets his sources for the leafs.

He's not going to come out and say who is source is. Leak could be Gorges, isn't likely to be anyone in Montreal and the likelihood of the leak is the Leafs.

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
You think a NHL GM would ruin his reputation on a deal like Gorges for whatever ? Every other NHL GM would know that there's a strong possibility for leaks in any trade discussion with that GM. They wouldn't do it. Plus, Toronto looks bad here with Gorges refusing to go play there. All of this so the habs don't get a big return for Gorges ? Newsflash.. Gorges isn't some HUGELY coveted asset with a good contract that was gonna land us an important player. It seems like an awfully huge risk to take for the leafs for very little gain.

No, the simplest explanation is that Gorges, being the idiot that he is, leaked it.

Tell me what the advantage is for Toronto to do this. They look bad too.

Didn't Dave Nonis sign Clarktard to a 5mill+ deal? Who's to say what he would or wouldn't do. And is the GM the only person that works in management/hockey operations of a team? In hockey crazed markets like Montreal and Toronto there could be lots of people that could have come across this kind of information. For all we know it could be the ****ing janitor that was cleaning the toilet that overheard Nonis talking on his phone while he was taking a piss.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
C'mon, man. You usually post intelligent remarks but this is close to [pick your own derogative adjective].

Gorges is and has been a more than decent d-man. You may not like him because he has absolutely no offensive upside but as an overall d-man he is a decent # 4 even at his cap hit. Let's see what gem:sarcasm: Bergevin replaces him with.

You guys are claiming it's only business that Bergevin would up and trade one of our most loyal and dedicated players. His job is to make the team better. Okay, I buy that, but then again it's only business that Gorges is playing his partial no-trade list. He obviously is looking out for his better interest just like Bergevin.

And as for Bergevin, I've been a big supporter but with this Gorges' fiasco, his image has tarnished in my eyes. You know Gorges has a limited trade clause and you know what type of player he is and you turn around & send his agent to ask for a release. What a ^&*%ing tool. An absolute idiot move. Man, that shows me a huge lack of people skills or a blatant disregard of other people on Bergevin's part. Maybe because he was traded to practically every team in the league, Marc has been desensitized to that aspect of the game but all the same he screwed up big time.

If this trade with T.O. is all that great, Marc should have called up Gorges and told him: We value you. You are a great asset to this team and I didn't shop you but my job is to improve the Habs and T.O. have twisted my arm and given me an offer I can't refuse. What can I do to have you accept this trade.

Or something along those lines. It would have hurt Gorges but you're showing him respect and it would have been difficult for Gorges to react the way he eventually did.

But Bergevin screwed up on this and screwed up really bad. It was a stupid and dumb move..

Good post. I agree that this was handled very badly, even if Bergevin's goal was right. Bergevin doesn't lack people skills - my guess is there was a communication breakdown or admin screwup. This PR disaster smells like someone forgot to mention/talk/do/read something.

Josh deserves better, even if I agree with the eventual trade.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Maybe he did this who the **** knows. I refuse to believe every damn thing said in the media. Things could get misunderstood pretty damn easily ; like how Bergevin threatened to waive Gorges. It's stupid.

Gorges & some of the reporters mentioned that the first time Gorges heard of it was from his agent when he asked him to waive his no trade clause.

PricePkPatch*

What's the latest on this story?

The latest?

Shanahan talked to Gorges to convince him.
Francois Gagnon said the trade was for Lupul
Grant McCagg called him a dirty liar
Some other source said it was instead for another D from the Leafs

that's about it.. and most of it is from yesterday AFTERNOON

Kachino

@kachino82
Feb 16, 2008
Montreal
Bottom line, like JF Chaumont said, when a player doesn't ask for a trade and is asked to waive his no trade clause, then he's highly likely not part of the team's plans anymore.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
The latest?

What's this leak business about? All I read is gorges was upset or shocked.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I've brought this up in the past when highly paid players with poor contracts find themselves in these situations but...

What exactly did Gorges think would happen?

It kind of shocks me that their agents haven't at least prepped them for this eventuality. Guys like Gomez, Clarkson, and to a lesser extent, Gorges, go out and sign these overvalued contracts that EVERYONE knows the team will regret in the latter half of the deal... I mean you can't tell me you didn't expect that at some point the team would try to get out of it.

And they act all shocked... I mean really? You should have known this was going to be a possibility when you signed a big money contract for longer term. Forget the NTC, NMC, whatever... The team is going to try and find a way to move you if the contract is bad, eventually. I think agents need to do a better job of explaining that to their clients.

Maffew

Born. Raised. Habs. Always.
May 14, 2010
Montréal, QC
More like he contacted the agent and went:

"We've just received a great proposal for your guy, but it's with a team that's on his no-trade list (Toronto). That sort of move would be really great for our team, could you check with him if he'd be willing to waive his NTC?"

Fully agreed. It's likely that when Joshie got the call, he was surprised by it so he took a bit of offense and there happened to be a media scrum shortly after the fact.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Bottom line, like JF Chaumont said, when a player doesn't ask for a trade and is asked to waive his no trade clause, then he's highly likely not part of the team's plans anymore.

ya and water is wet.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Except Nonis is Dreger's brother-in-law, or something. Dreger knows almost everything that's going on with the leafs. Why does he report Toronto is looking to trade Kadri, or Gardiner, or Phaneuf? He knows these things and that's where he gets his sources for the leafs.

He's not going to come out and say who is source is. Leak could be Gorges, isn't likely to be anyone in Montreal and the likelihood of the leak is the Leafs.

Except that the initial thing wasn't even leaked by Dreger, it was leaked by McKenzie.

Didn't Dave Nonis sign Clarktard to a 5mill+ deal? Who's to say what he would or wouldn't do. And is the GM the only person that works in management/hockey operations of a team? In hockey crazed markets like Montreal and Toronto there could be lots of people that could have come across this kind of information. For all we know it could be the ****ing janitor that was cleaning the toilet that overheard Nonis talking on his phone while he was taking a piss.

We can scramble to find alternate explanation but like for most things applying occam's razor tend to lend the best results.

BESIDES, who cares who originally leaked it ? This was a nothing rumor all the way until Gorges opened his big mouth and confirmed it, which gives even more credence to the theory that he leaked it himself.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
Everything points out that it's Gardiner coming back. I'd take a 23 years old offensive d-man who has played in the league for three years.

Not happening and doesn't make sense. Habs have PK and Beaulieu. 2 young, talented puck moving dmen. They also have Markov. Bringing in another offensive dman in exchange for a defensive dman would be silly. Need a solid all around guy who is solid both defensively and offensively if Gorges is getting moved for him.

PricePkPatch*

What's this leak business about? All I read is gorges was upset or shocked.

Well, the rumor was started yesterday morning, and it had fact behind it. Therefore, someone leaked the story, and we are trying to ascertain who it was.

- People claim it couldn't have been the Habs. They have been very effective in preserving secrecy
- Others say it's the Leafs, as they have had terrible ability to contain their own secrets. But since the identity of the Leafs's side of the bargain is kept secret, I suspect the leak doesn't come from them.
- Finally, people say it's from Gorges' camp. Either him or his agent. And thus call Gorges unprofessional/whiner for leaking the story.

I personally think the leak came from Gorges' agent. He's got the ressources and means to do it, and probably wanted to draw interest to his player from teams other than Toronto.

Analyzer*

And no one else knew this how ?

Except that the initial thing wasn't even leaked by Dreger, it was leaked by McKenzie.

We can scramble to find alternate explanation but like for most things applying occam's razor tend to lend the best results.

So, Gorges told McKenzie ?

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
Tell me what the advantage is for Toronto to do this. They look bad too. Seems like the advantage is extremely minimal compared to the downside of ruining his reputation as a GM who leaks his dealings with other GMs.
I did not say Nonis did it they got so many people on the payroll it could be anybody in the loop who did not like what the Leafs were giving up. The fact that this trade went public on one side is only screwing the Habs. Because now they have to move Gorges and probably for less return. Toronto is still free to not move the guy they were planning on trading or to get top value.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Not happening and doesn't make sense. Habs have PK and Beaulieu. 2 young, talented puck moving dmen. They also have Markov. Bringing in another offensive dman in exchange for a defensive dman would be silly. Need a solid all around guy who is solid both defensively and offensively if Gorges is getting moved for him.

UNTIL PK is signed ...don't assume anything.......honestly.
The last contract didn't go very smooth.....

To many what if's .....If Subban gets a 11-12 million offer sheet....then what? It's bad enough now they have to ship JG out.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
The latest?

You sure Grant said "dirty liar' instead of "misinformed"?

PricePkPatch*

Fully agreed. It's likely that when Joshie got the call, he was surprised by it so he took a bit of offense and there happened to be a media scrum shortly after the fact.

Indeed. Is it that hard for some people to assume that:

1- People act reasonably
2- People may still feel hurt by other people's action, as reasonable as they might be.

Nobody is the monster in this story, except those throwing insults at Gorges or Bergevin.

DicAnns

Mar 7, 2006
Montreal
www.canadiens.com
You should have known this was going to be a possibility when you signed a big money contract for longer term. Forget the NTC, NMC, whatever... The team is going to try and find a way to move you if the contract is bad, eventually. I think agents need to do a better job of explaining that to their clients.

Agreed. And the NHLPA likewise.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Just waive his arse already. I'm ready to bet the little **** who leaked that is his agent in the first place and all those interviews to whine about it are most likely his idea also. Kick those clowns out, couldn't care less about getting nothing for a little hypocrite like that.

CH25

Self-proclaimed Habs connoisseur
Apr 12, 2010
Montreal

I don't think Gorges remembers he was signed by Gauthier and not Bergevin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad