Player Discussion Jordie Benn

Status
Not open for further replies.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Benn seems better on the breakout. All Gorges could ever do was chip it off the glass/boards, our transition was non-existent.

Better in the offensive zone too. All Gorges would ever do when he got the puck was dump it back in the corner. At least Benn is capable of putting putting pucks towards the net on occasion. He even has a couple goals to show for it.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
What!!?

:laugh:

Maybe you're thinking of George Laraque

You may not remember but Gorges was often involved in scrums and stuff. Rarely fought but he was part of the action quite often. And when he did fight he took on guys like McLaren , Avery , Hnidy , Tucker etc.

To say that he did not defend his temmates is a bit disingenuous. He was called a heart and soul guy many times on this forum.

At the end of his tenure with the Habs he had declined...but he was a decent player for a while.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
Benn is the only Hab that is not a minus. Had the best +/- through the first 8 games.

Interesting...

Souffle

A soupçon of nutmeg
Aug 9, 2003
Le Creuset
Visit site
Benn is the only Hab that is not a minus. Had the best +/- through the first 8 games.

Interesting...

Yes, his Corsi is above 60%, putting him behind only Streit and Davidson on the team. So, among regular players, best Corsi. :(

The eye test is hardly better. From watching him, he just does his job. Makes defensive plays a normal fan would want him to make. Shows some pretty good instincts. Some people could even objectively say that he's played well overall.

It's very disappointing. Frankly, I'm getting a little worried that Benn hasn't yet lived down to this board's expectations. If other players follow, then this board will be miserable. It's always frustrating when a player doesn't meet expectations.

Hopefully he'll turn it around soon.

Last edited:

Haburger

Jan 17, 2011
I know that but it’s probably his last season, he’s a dark cloud on the defense, him and Benn must really annoy Price with their horrible defending. Can’t move forward with two anchors.
Benn looked fine last game.but befor the game people were bashing the shit outta him too.when used in the right role both can be effective.but when u put guys in situations above their capabilities they will struggle.which is exactly what happened last yr

Jul 6, 2016
Benn looked fine last game.but befor the game people were bashing the **** outta him too.when used in the right role both can be effective.but when u put guys in situations above their capabilities they will struggle.which is exactly what happened last yr

on a bottom pairing playing vs bottom lines and killing penalties, Benn can be ok most of the nights.

Reactions: ArtPeur

Haburger

Jan 17, 2011
on a bottom pairing playing vs bottom lines and killing penalties, Benn can be ok most of the nights.
Exactly.put him on the 2nd pair and he s done.last year the team had too many guys playing above their level

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Benn looked fine last game.but befor the game people were bashing the **** outta him too.when used in the right role both can be effective.but when u put guys in situations above their capabilities they will struggle.which is exactly what happened last yr
Benn is not an NHL caliber player, he has cement feet and plays the puck like a grenade, Price deserves better.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Yep and the problem is we have a pile of guys that can only play 5-6 level of D. Most cost less than him as they aren't even "nhlers". Just another example of our poorly built team. Alzner on for 12 minutes a game as our 6th D. Likley no one has issues except his monster contract! We may have the cap space, but you want to see people worth their pay. Breezy got bashed relentlessly because of his 4+ million salary and he was still putting up 30+ points. But low effort and the fact he should have been potting at least 40 points for that kind of money before the skiing incident was enough for fans to turn on him.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
I don't know what the new coaching staff are doing (besides being competent) but Benn is quietly having a decent season.

Yeah, he can still get lost. Hopefully when Weber returns.

Reilly - Weber
Mete - Petry
Ouellet - Juulsen
Schlemko

Benn traded for mid to late pick or waived for AHL (probably gets claimed)

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I don't know what the new coaching staff are doing (besides being competent) but Benn is quietly having a decent season.

It's too soon to assume anything. Don't forget the guy is basically playing his life while the good players around the league for the most part are still just chilling (if people think we saw the best of Marchand/Pasternak yesterday or the best of Crosby/Malkin at the beginning of the season they are greatly mistaken). If it doesn't work he might be in Europe or ahl next season. He looked good for around 15 games after he was traded. Then he crapped the bed big time in playoffs.

If he keeps playing like that for 82 games + playoffs then it will be the time to throw some flowers. Right now it's way way way too soon.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
So far, Benn has been considerably better than Mete.

That's the type of thinking responsible for us being a losing team for the last 25 years. Jorden Benn has been god damn awful for the last season and the playoffs of the previous season. Yet 10 good games is apparently enough to erase all that.

If you chose Benn over Mete you're doing it wrong.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
It's too soon to assume anything. Don't forget the guy is basically playing his life while the good players around the league for the most part are still just chilling (if people think we saw the best of Marchand/Pasternak yesterday or the best of Crosby/Malkin at the beginning of the season they are greatly mistaken). If it doesn't work he might be in Europe or ahl next season. He looked good for around 15 games after he was traded. Then he crapped the bed big time in playoffs.

If he keeps playing like that for 82 games + playoffs then it will be the time to throw some flowers. Right now it's way way way too soon.
Pasternak has had 10 goals in as many games before the last one. You're saying he's just warming up?

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Pasternak has had 10 goals in as many games before the last one. You're saying he's just warming up?

It was a general assertion that at this time of the years good teams are not always giving their 100%. I mean come on man it's well known before December the best teams are still warming up. Some nights they will play well and other nights not so much. Been there done that. Been this way forever.

Hey if you want to think Jordie Benn is awesome and good enough to stop guys like Crosby and Pasternak on a regular basis be my guest. I'll be there to remind you who he is when he fall down on earth.

Reactions: CoupeStanley

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
It was a general assertion that at this time of the years good teams are not always giving their 100%. I mean come on man it's well known before December the best teams are still warming up. Some nights they will play well and other nights not so much. Been there done that. Been this way forever.

Hey if you want to think Jordie Benn is awesome and good enough to stop guys like Crosby and Pasternak on a regular basis be my guest. I'll be there to remind you who he is when he fall down on earth.
I have said nothing about Jordie Benn aside from an observation, that he's been considerably more reliable than Mete. Which is obvious to anyone, who has watched the games. Mete started as a #4 defenseman and the coaching staff has obviously liked his game since preseason two years ago. And yet he almost played himself out of the lineup as of this moment. That's all. There is no need to keep inventing arguments that I didn't make and responding with your own counterarguments.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I think he's played well. He's not my favourite player (not even close), but he's far exceeded my expectations based on last year and the preseason.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland

Jordie Benn isn't asked to stop Crosby and Pastrnak on a regular basis. He's facing the easiest matchups and is currently doing surprisingly adequate job at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad